How often do you eat meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyway, I'm somewhere between B and C. I would actually prefer to be a vegetarian, but I was for a couple of years and had a lot of health problems because of it (and I was taking supplements and eating well). :shrug:

vervex said:
Eliv8: Yes I saw a repport about that ! Well two. One about fast foods, McDonald especialy, and another one about the kind of food we found in grocery stores and how chickens were treated. They Supermaket Secrets I think it was called. It was a British show. They showed how the chickens were living in their own pee, sometimes sitting in it because they grew so fast with the food they were fed with that their legs couldn't support their own weight. Some dead chickens were just lying and rotting in the corners while the others were walking (or trying to) ! Same thing with the ducks. Since I saw that, I never eat fast food anymore.

Talking about that :

In a video I've watched, the cow wasn't dead ! It was horrible... they didn't kill it and it was hanging upside down being cut alive ! It was terrible. That beef was one that would be sent to the McDonald company for making burgers, as many others.
For chickens, they are just hanged up and get their head cut by a kind of machine, one after the others, when the time come.

Horrible industry that we have, I agree.

You probably saw something like this ...

http://www.meat.org/

Last edited:
This April, it will be 18 years since I have eaten meat. I was somewhat forced to eat it as a kid because my parents didn't want to have to make a separate meal for me. But once I turned 14 my mom said I was old enough to cook for myself. It's never been any sort of animal rights thing for me. I just think it's gross to eat an animal but I have no problems with dairy or even wearing leather. I never liked the taste and I never will eat meat again.

Corn, wheat, rice, etc. all get the same treatment.

I'm not sure the dramatic description of the food production business is that productive.

meegannie said:

It's the opposite, really (though "die" and "diet" are unrelated etymologically). "Diet" comes from a Greek word meaning "way of life."

Way of life/Way of death. Dont they pretty much boil down to the same thing?

I am far more concerned with the torture and murder etc that many human beings continue to face in this world. I can understand why people get upset when animals are killed in a particularly cruel fashion, but still get the feeling that the world would be a better place if all those people devoted their time and passion to saving AIDS orphans or something.

Why is it okay to kill cows/chickens/fish/etc and not my dog? Because my dog is cute and I love him very much. Yeah that's pretty much it.

Eliv8 said:

Plus I feel so much better for not eating meat & I have lost weight.

And see, I feel so much better now that I'm eating meat again for the first time in 16 years and I have lost weight, too. I gained fat as a long-term vegetarian because of too many carbs and no amount of the proteins that come from food combining was enough for me. I ate really well as a vegetarian and after 16 years was extremely nutrient depleted across the board. Everyone's different and do you really think it's cool to be lecturing people ("And why not eat cats & dogs? Why is it OK to put a tortured animal on your plate but not OK to take your dog for a walk and kick him down the street?") about meat when you've only been without it for 4 months?

VertigoGal said:
I am far more concerned with the torture and murder etc that many human beings continue to face in this world. I can understand why people get upset when animals are killed in a particularly cruel fashion, but still get the feeling that the world would be a better place if all those people devoted their time and passion to saving AIDS orphans or something.

Why is it okay to kill cows/chickens/fish/etc and not my dog? Because my dog is cute and I love him very much. Yeah that's pretty much it.

I actually do feel it's all connected though. People who have no compassion for animals often also have none for other humans, especially if they can compartmentalise those other humans -- you know, the "well, they aren't like us" bit. That makes it far easier to torture or kill others.

I honestly don't think I could stand someone who worked all day slaughtering animals, and I wonder how hard/numb they have to be to do that kind of work.

I can't condemn people for eating meat though, as I still do (although my goal is to stop -- both for health reasons and my own conscience. I've been around animals waaay too long to think of them as just something for humans to use for our own pleasure) and I do really like my leather shoes/boots and purses. :reject: But I do think people should be aware of the lives and deaths the animals they are now eating had.

indra said:

I actually do feel it's all connected though. People who have no compassion for animals often also have none for other humans, especially if they can compartmentalise those other humans -- you know, the "well, they aren't like us" bit. That makes it far easier to torture or kill others.

Agreed. But there is a big difference between kicking a puppy and eating a hamburger.

^^Yeah that's true of course, people that go around beheading dogs as teenagers usually grow up to do similar things to humans, it's sick. I've seen those videos and I do wonder how some people can be so cruel in the methods they use. I don't think animals should be killed in particularly painful or cruel ways, but I think eating meat is a perfectly natural way of life.

How much meat do I eat?

I would have to say I'm an A+++

I loooove eating meat. I could sit down with a 2 pound steak and go to town. mmmm:drool:

Anyway, I eat meat at every meal--then I usually have a meat stick as a snack. I hunt/fish so I eat a lot of venison and fish. I make my own venison jerky, meatsticks, sausage...ect.

indra said:

I honestly don't think I could stand someone who worked all day slaughtering animals, and I wonder how hard/numb they have to be to do that kind of work.

You don't want to know then how many lab mice have died at my hand doing in vivo experiments for cancer research.

But people fail to understand something - the guidelines for research mean that you MUST have an in vivo system way before they will let you test on humans. So people start with mice. After that they move to dogs or monkeys as the preferable system. IF it works, human tests.

Breast cancer or mice dying?

indra said:

It's not only vegetarians/vegans though. My brother always seems personally offended when someone else doesn't eat meat (or even doesn't eat a certain type of meat), and goes out of his way to try to gross them out. You can see it on his face when someone mentions he/she is a vegetarian or restricts their meat consumption in some way -- it's almost as if he's thinking of ways to force a slab of meat down their throats. It's very disgusting.

this is totally true. i find the lack of respect for vegetarianism much more offensive than the stereotypical militant vegetarian. it can be really rather nasty -- you must understand that the vegetarian is genuinely appalled by the idea of eating dead flesh, and that waving a hamburger in their face or teases them by loudly gorging on a steak might be consdered as offensive as using racials slurs.

Irvine511 said:

this is totally true. i find the lack of respect for vegetarianism much more offensive than the stereotypical militant vegetarian. it can be really rather nasty -- you must understand that the vegetarian is genuinely appalled by the idea of eating dead flesh, and that waving a hamburger in their face or teases them by loudly gorging on a steak might be consdered as offensive as using racials slurs.

It never worked with me since I was never grossed out by eating meat nor did I ever think it was wrong; I just didn't have a taste for it. When my body started needing it, I started craving it.

But you're right, I had this experience countless times. I think it's because meat eaters were assuming that I was silently judging them for eating meat, which was never the case.

anitram said:

I hear you.

And I think it is perfectly natural for each life form to feed on the one below it. :shrug: We don't eat animals that are our pets because we feel a kinship with them. I personally don't feel a kinship with chickens, cows and mice, though I was raised on a farm with cows and my grandparents had chickens. Some cultures don't feel a kinship with dogs so they eat them.

AcrobatMan said:
A) Twice a day approx
B) Once a day approx
C) 3 times or 4 times a week
D) Once a week
E) Once/Twice a month
F) Once in 3-4 months
G) Once a year
H) Dont eat in recent years but have eaten meat
I) Never eaten meat

For me its F), I consider myself a non-vegetarian :)

put in closest answer

- AcrobatMan

yousound pretty proud of yourself

my answer is C

my son would like all of us to get tottally off meat....
they use grade D meat at mcdonalds...ya know?
its the lowest quality meat that humans can consume
the probably pay very little for it..and that how they make all thier money...

someone research the grade d meat please and get back to me at this post...thanks

- carrie

anitram said:

You don't want to know then how many lab mice have died at my hand doing in vivo experiments for cancer research.

But people fail to understand something - the guidelines for research mean that you MUST have an in vivo system way before they will let you test on humans. So people start with mice. After that they move to dogs or monkeys as the preferable system. IF it works, human tests.

As I noted in my other comments I do not condemn people who eat meat. Nor do I condemn medical researchers. I do believe, however, that people should be aware of what is required to bring their meat to the table (or various medicines and medical treatments to them).

Most people can function very well on a diet without, or with very little meat. And most people in the US could do better healthwise with a mere fraction of the meat they now consume. Snarfing down a steak because you like the taste is a lot different than getting treatment for breast cancer.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:
How much meat do I eat?

I would have to say I'm an A+++

I loooove eating meat. I could sit down with a 2 pound steak and go to town. mmmm:drool:

Anyway, I eat meat at every meal--then I usually have a meat stick as a snack. I hunt/fish so I eat a lot of venison and fish. I make my own venison jerky, meatsticks, sausage...ect.

haha at meat stick as a snack....makes me think of those meat skewer things ya get on the pupu platter at chinese joints

indra said:
Snarfing down a steak because you like the taste is a lot different than getting treatment for breast cancer.

It is, but it isn't. You have to kill an animal for both. Regardless of what you use it for, the animal is still dead. I don't see how a person could be so against one, and okay with the other.

Irvine511 said:

Jerks will be jerks, but you can't really equate a lifestyle preference with something like race.

indra said:

Most people can function very well on a diet without, or with very little meat.

Well, my nutritionist said he has never seen a healthy long term vegetarian over 40. I was the classic example; he says he sees it everyday.

Of course if you're already 40ish and have been eating a lot of meat for a long time you could experience many health improvements from eliminating or cutting back meat.

For me it's about balance.

joyfulgirl said:
Everyone's different and do you really think it's cool to be lecturing people ("And why not eat cats & dogs? Why is it OK to put a tortured animal on your plate but not OK to take your dog for a walk and kick him down the street?") about meat when you've only been without it for 4 months?

I am not 'lecturing' - Just contributing to the thread. If I have been vegetarian for 4 months or 4 years it shouldn’t make any difference.

carrieluvv said:

haha at meat stick as a snack....makes me think of those meat skewer things ya get on the pupu platter at chinese joints

oh my god ive just watched that meet your meat...and now i dont think that is funny anymore.

im sickened by what i saw .

cruelty , torture- that was just sick
that really bothered me

Eliv8 said:

Way of life/Way of death. Dont they pretty much boil down to the same thing?

Nice try. You can't change the etymology of a word simply because you disagree with something as a way of life.

I was a vegan for 7 years. I was anemic for 7 years. I had a dietitian. I ate a balanced veggie diet and I was still sickly. Not everyone is the same and not everyone can enjoy good health on a vegan diet.

I got more grief over being a vegetarian then anything else in my life so far. Why? Because some people spend so much of their time trying to shove vegetables and animal rights down other's throats. And I never tried to convert anyone. Explain your point of view, then live and let live. You can't guilt trip anyone into believing in something. You only piss them off and lose their interest.

And to answer the orginal question, I eat meat about two to three times a week.

Last edited:
carrieluvv said:

oh my god ive just watched that meet your meat...and now i dont think that is funny anymore.

im sickened by what i saw .

cruelty , torture- that was just sick
that really bothered me

It is not pleasant I know but more people should actually watch it.

Eliv8 said:

I am not 'lecturing' - Just contributing to the thread. If I have been vegetarian for 4 months or 4 years it shouldn’t make any difference.

Ok, sorry. I just found your comment a bit too strong, like someone who has just quit smoking who suddenly has no tolerance for those who still do. Perhaps I am guilty of the same thing at times.

joyfulgirl said:

Ok, sorry. I just found your comment a bit too strong, like someone who has just quit smoking who suddenly has no tolerance for those who still do. Perhaps I am guilty of the same thing at times.

NP - Funny though - I just quit smoking since the first.
Also, I have no problem with people eating meat or smoking but I feel they should be made aware of what they are consuming. Then the choice is up to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom