??How much $$ has Bono shared??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drumkeeran

War Child
Upstate NY, USA - own personal Bono pleaser
My husband wants to know... how much of his personal $$ has Bono shared with the African Crisis??

of course, I'm purely satisfied with the amount of personal time he has shared...

but, if anyone has a clue...i'm looking for this info so I can win my family debate...

thanks!!!!!:wave:

I don't think it's ever been stated. I think that it would be kinda tacky for him to brag about how much money he donated to something. I think that what is important is what he is doing with his celebrity, raising awareness for the issues he believes in

drumkeeran said:
My husband wants to know... how much of his personal $$ has Bono shared with the African Crisis??

of course, I'm purely satisfied with the amount of personal time he has shared...

but, if anyone has a clue...i'm looking for this info so I can win my family debate...

thanks!!!!!:wave:

i don't know where to find the info you are looking for, but I just wanted you to know that the same debate is happening at my house...

uhhh,

isn't that a personal thing???? and for a person like bono time =money

just tell your husband that bono will gladly tell you how much he gives...if you send him your tax return first.

um, no offense Arun, but Bono isn't the only person on earth whose time is valuable, that whole, "I give my time" argument is kind of lame; I'm not criticizing Bono here, I like what he's doing, but you're only going to offend people when you give them that sort of reply; there are a lot of people in the world who would like to be as charitable as Bono is with his time, but not many people are able to afford taking significant amounts of time away from their families and jobs

yeah...but I'm not asking for the amounts of ppl charitble contributions

and the I give my time argument isn't lame.....just throwing pennies at a problem isn't enough...you need ppl to speak out and work towards the cause too.

I certainly agree that you need people to speak out and work towards a cause, but you said, for a person like bono time =money, and I'm telling you that a statement like that will induce vomitting in millions of people

The Wanderer said:
I certainly agree that you need people to speak out and work towards a cause, but you said, for a person like bono time =money, and I'm telling you that a statement like that will induce vomitting in millions of people

listen

if bono wants to right now.......he could decide to play a private gig...and make money doing it...and not a small amount mind you.

how many other people can do the same????

if it makes ppl vomit.....let it....because it's true either way.

now..the other thing I think bono has realized is..no matter how much he gives ppl will complain.

let's say bono pulled in 20 million dollars last year..and he donated 10 million....some ppl would prolly say " you could live off a lot less that 10 million....he's greedy"

If he gave 15 millions some would say " he's still got 5 million left...oh gee bono....your not doing all you can"

also..note that data is about solving the structure of poverty in africa...not just giving money.

you keep missing the point of what I'm saying

I'll listen harder next time, but if you want to get your message out to the masses, it's not a good idea to insult them, rhetoric is a delicate matter, never underestimate this simple fact. This is why you would never hear Bono saying something as asinine as, "hey, I give my time man, and my time is more valuable than your time, and my millions of dollars... "

I never insulted anyone

and to be honest...if your talking about PURE monetary value...bono's time is a lot more valuable than most of our time.

also lets take into account the fact that touring with u2 already takes bono away from his family for lenghts of time...now think on top of it all he's sacrificed what some would consider the most important thing in their lives to campaign for the cause.

you would never blatantly ask a friend of yours how much he gave to a cause because it's none of anyones bussiness but his own. Perhaps bono feels uncomfortable givin money outright and prefers to give his time, perhaps bono feels uncomfortable writing out checks so he prefers to play benefits and donate items to charity auctions. Perhaps Bono and Ali have an understanding that they should work out an investment strategy in the present day so they can leave more in their will when they pass away.....etc etc

Also I don't think I've ever heard bono ask to give money for the cause...the most he's ever asked is for ppl to write their congressman and make some noise for it to encourage a change in policy. I may be wrong on this but if there's a phrase where he asks for money...I'll be surprised.

He already asked for cash during live aid..and he realized the problem wasnt' money..but the structure of the relationship between the 1st and 3rd worlds. This campaign of bono's is different in the sense...it's a political campaign...not a fundraising campaign.

Just because Bono makes more money than us doesn't mean his time is more valuable than ours. If anything, our time is more valuable than his since we have to spend more of it to make as much as he does in a shorter period of time. (i.e. *simple exaggerated example* he makes $1 mill in a year. it would take me 20 years to make $1 mill. I see that as MY time being more valuable! Yes he makes more money in a shorter amount of time, but it takes me LONGER to do the same).

Anyway, that's crazy- everyone's time is valuable, not one's more than the others, b/c time is something you can't get back, and you can fill it up with priceless things.

To the original question- IMO, it's irrelevant how much he gives, if anything. Money is relative (much like the time issue) so $100 to you may be like $1000 to him. AND, on top of that all, even if he were to give his entire fortune to DATA, it wouldn't make a difference (nor is it his responsibility to do that!). Africa pays back $1mill a WEEK. Bono'd only be throwing pennies on the fire.

exactly. private donations would help but what needs to happen is a change in policy - otherwise it's like trying to put out an inferno with a water pistol.

oliveu2cm said:
Just because Bono makes more money than us doesn't mean his time is more valuable than ours. If anything, our time is more valuable than his since we have to spend more of it to make as much as he does in a shorter period of time. (i.e. *simple exaggerated example* he makes $1 mill in a year. it would take me 20 years to make $1 mill. I see that as MY time being more valuable! Yes he makes more money in a shorter amount of time, but it takes me LONGER to do the same).

I'm not talking about sentimental value or value/ cost of living ratio or what not or value in terms of each individual......I'm talking pure...Magnitude of the oppurtunity cost it takes for him to do work for the cause...in US dollars ( or rish pounds if you will).
I said this above as well. This thread is about how much money hes' given...well bono's time could potentially earn him a lot of money. hence..it is valuable.

the thing is the amount you give...not the amount you can afford to give (although if you have ?100 billion or something and you give 1p that is kinda stingy!!).
If someone gave ?1000 and bono gave ?1000 then people wouold say that bono was giving enough coz hes really rich......
but they both gave the same amount!!:confused: doesn't make any sense at all!!

Back
Top Bottom