How many of you,....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rono

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Americans whish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe ? Two days ago there was a old fart senator telling ( off camera ofcourse ) to the reporter of www.novatv.nl that he wished a big attack will happen to Europe to turn the opinions about Iraq and the USA .

Nice going, maybe the CIA could help you out there. :(

almost as plausible as the german guy on tv today talking about how the Bush Administration wanted more terrorists attacks against the US so his popularity would be high for the 2004 elections

Rono said:
Two days ago there was a old fart senator telling ( off camera ofcourse ) to the reporter of www.novatv.nl that he wished a big attack will happen to Europe to turn the opinions about Iraq and the USA .

thumbsdown.gif

Last edited:
follower said:
You know, reading such disgusting comments like those reported by Rono and Wanderer makes me think I was born in the wrong planet.

No...it just reminds me why I will never vote Republican.

They are masters of deception, but, when backed into a corner, their close-minded bigotry rears its ugly head.

They have to do a lot more than put on a PR campaign for diversity...

Melon

Melon, just wanted to clarify that my previous reply has nothing to do with political parties. Although I have done my part in my own country, and helped to get Lula, our new leftist president, there at Planalto (our White House), so that our equivalent to your republicans or conservatives aren?t running the country nowadays. What I said is that it?s all about human nature and how we can turn ourselves into monsters sometimes. How come anybody can possibly want that a terrorist attack happens anywhere in the world to gain simpathy of others is beyond my comprehension.

I dont really like this thread. Kind of an offensively loaded question if ya ask me.

As most know Im not hugely in love with US leaders, but I would hazard to say that most if not all of our American friends on this board would never in a million years wish what this knucklehead said.

He certainly isnt representing the views of any interferencers Ive ever run into.

:mad:

While I agree that Democrats are generally more tolerant, that should not be confused with being sympathetic, most politicians do not care about people, they are in the business of pandering to interest groups for money and votes. Democrats are just as deceptive and manipulative as Republicans; the two parties just go about their business differently.

gabrielvox said:
I dont really like this thread. Kind of an offensively loaded question if ya ask me.

As most know Im not hugely in love with US leaders, but I would hazard to say that most if not all of our American friends on this board would never in a million years wish what this knucklehead said.

He certainly isnt representing the views of any interferencers Ive ever run into.

I agree. I was refering to the people that supposedly said such bulls**t. (the senator from US and the german guy mentioned by Wanderer).

For some reason I cannot get the freaking page to load so I can find out which ass of a Senator said this.

Could someone please post the quote and the name of the quoted.

At last, something we can all agree on...eh?

PEACE

Dreadsox said:
For some reason I cannot get the freaking page to load so I can find out which ass of a Senator said this.

Could someone please post the quote and the name of the quoted.

At last, something we can all agree on...eh?

PEACE

Dread, I got the site.

I think it is all in Dutch? language.

Could not translate, or find u s politian's name.

Rono,

I think most Americans do not wish any attacks on anyone.

However, some politicians are always calulating the benefits of any event.

incredible

I've never understood how people could wish such horror to others.

*edit* This was meant to be a reply to Rono's "how many of you..." thread, not a single thread. Mods :help: please.

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Gabriel speaks the truth as far as I'm concerned.

The Wanderer said:
While I agree that Democrats are generally more tolerant, that should not be confused with being sympathetic, most politicians do not care about people, they are in the business of pandering to interest groups for money and votes. Democrats are just as deceptive and manipulative as Republicans; the two parties just go about their business differently.

:up:

i concur with gabrielvox, and do want to add that the original question stated in the thread is rather offensive. i honestly doubt that there are many americans waking up every morning thinking "so, did europe get obliterated yet?". and to insinuate that there are more than just this ass of a senator is a little bit sensitive.

we need to remember that americans are really in a new realm of life right now. people my age have never seen an america with a bad economy, or lived in a country that was taking initiative on something and had its allies not agree with its actions. it's completely foreign to us, so sorry if i seem new to the concept.

a concept that i don't consider foreign is lying politicians. there are some extremely right politicians whose ideals fall in the same vein as a white make in the mid-nineteenth century. yes, it's archaic and wrong. but their p.r is gorgeous and since not many american voters look too closely at what their candidates actually believe in, people like strom thurmond get elected for 100 years straight. it's disappointing, i know, but it's what we've got right now.

Last edited:
Lilly said:
i concur with gabrielvox, and do want to add that the original question stated in the thread is rather offensive. i honestly doubt that there are many americans waking up every morning thinking "so, did europe get obliterated yet?". and to insinuate that there are more than just this ass of a senator is a little bit sensitive.

we need to remember that americans are really in a new realm of life right now. people my age have never seen an america with a bad economy, or lived in a country that was taking initiative on something and had its allies not agree with its actions. it's completely foreign to us, so sorry if i seem new to the concept.

very well said shannon. and i agree completely. i can't imagine any american wishing a 9/11 scenario on anyone. true this senator is an asshole but that doesn't mean his sentiments are shared by the average american citizen.

we really need to watch the generalizations we throw around here in fym. besides being hurtful, they are often not based in any sort of reality.

I've heard the same thing from some Americans. :mad: :sad:

I should add, though, that that's not the sentiment of the majority of Americans.

gabrielvox said:

Ive been unable to find anything on it either, Dreadsox.

Guess we've been had by a good troll...

:angry:

:sigh:

Rono....where are you????

In the army we called them grenade throwers.

Rono is not a troll. Dreadsox, just curious, what do you mean by grenade thrower? I know what one is and the context it is referred to, just wondering if you mean Rono here or the as yet unknown Senator? This thread was started as a pure reaction to what was heard. Any one of us would be exactly the same if it was in relation to us. Nothing makes that right or wrong, and of course people will be offended to hear the question even asked. No one wishes anything bad to happen to Europe any more than they wish it on another country or region of the world. At least not in here anyways.
We also should consider not writing it off just yet, as the site IS in Dutch and unless Salome, popmartjian or Rono would care to interpret we have no idea what was said. I doubt there will be a quote anyway as it was said apparently off camera. Convenient indeed. Also the absence of this news in English speaking sources means little as well, as not everything will make it back to the English speaking world, or more specifically America. Or perhaps it is infact untrue and the source is wrong. But until someone can clarify, lets not be too hasty eh?

This thread was started with the words:

"Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe ?"

I respectfully am responding 48 hours later with my true feelings about this thread. I waited with my original reaction, and out of respect stopped myself from overreacting. But now 48 hours later without any explination I am going to FREE MY MIND!

That question alone is inflammatory. It does not say. American Senator. It says AMERICANS. It is wrong, it is insulting, and I find it personally EXTREMELY offensive. But I stopped myself from saying that.

As I have always done, since coming to FYM, I tried to research it. I did web searches. I tried the link that was provided. NOTHING to show. I did not come out and say anything other than could someone help me find out who it was that said it.

Not because I doubted it! I wanted to know, because anyone who knows me, knows that when a Senator or Congressman says or does something in their representative roll, that is embarassing to me, or our country I am going to respond.

But back to the originall post. The last words posted by the original poster are:

"Nice going, maybe the CIA could help you out there."

Again, inflammatory and innapropriate. Start with the question and finish with the comment which implies that the CIA would be able to help with a terrorist attack on Europe. People keep saying they are tired of people calling other people anti-American. I have never called anyone anti-American or any such thing. But what do you call it, when someone implies through their comments that my country would do such a thing?

SO to clarify. yes, this is grenade throwing in my opinion.

Last edited:
I must apologise as my previous reply wasn't directed at you after the grenade throwing question. I should have started a new paragraph. Sorry that didn't come across Dreadsox, I feel like I got your back up unnessecarily as I wasn't questioning your position like it implied.

Dreadsox, meegannie just said she?s heard the same thing from some Americans. Considering the state she works in, this is a little disturbing. I would like to know how many percent of Americans, not to say American Senators, think so (umm, and the American Senator is an American too, isn?t he? I don?t quite get the difference).

That?s really sad. It is shocking, though, that (- if a Senator said so, I don?t know that, I don?t speak Dutch -) is not immediately removed from his position.

Who was it, if there was any, now? And pls quote the media source, too. I would like to send a letter from a European to this Senator.

Angela Harlem said:
I must apologise as my previous reply wasn't directed at you after the grenade throwing question. I should have started a new paragraph. Sorry that didn't come across Dreadsox, I feel like I got your back up unnessecarily as I wasn't questioning your position like it implied.

Not a problem. I have been stewing about this thread for a few days. I REALLY want to know what senator said it. It does not help anything making comments like this.

:hug:

Dreadsox said:
This thread was started with the words:

"Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe ?"

I respectfully am responding 48 hours later with my true feelings about this thread. I waited with my original reaction, and out of respect stopped myself from overreacting. But now 48 hours later without any explination I am going to FREE MY MIND!

That question alone is inflammatory. It does not say. American Senator. It says AMERICANS. It is wrong, it is insulting, and I find it personally EXTREMELY offensive. But I stopped myself from saying that.

In the subject header it says; "How many of you..."
The first sentence of the post; "Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?"
Put these two together and it says; "How many of you Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?

It was a question, not a statement. It even had a questionmark, which is usually a good indicator for a question. I don't see why anybody should get rilled up about this. However, the fact that this claim hasn't been backed up is another discussion:

I have taken a look at the website (I am Dutch btw, though not anti-american. Well, at least not all the time... :wink: <-- notice the smiley). Anyway, it doesn't say anything about this senator, but it is a very modest website so if they'd put something like that up, they could have taken it down already. I guess we'll never know.

The Wanderer said:

ill agree with this, except i believe the republicans are just a bit more dirtier ON camera. meaning ofcourse, we are more likely to hear about the shit they cause as opposed to the democrats who i feel create their controversy away from the spotlight.

ofcourse this is all a general stereotype.

the very fact that anyone would want any terrorist attack on anyone proves they have issues.

DrTeeth said:

In the subject header it says; "How many of you..."
The first sentence of the post; "Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?"
Put these two together and it says; "How many of you Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?

It was a question, not a statement. It even had a questionmark, which is usually a good indicator for a question. I don't see why anybody should get rilled up about this. However, the fact that this claim hasn't been backed up is another discussion:

I have taken a look at the website (I am Dutch btw, though not anti-american. Well, at least not all the time... :wink: <-- notice the smiley). Anyway, it doesn't say anything about this senator, but it is a very modest website so if they'd put something like that up, they could have taken it down already. I guess we'll never know.

Thanks Dr. Teeth!

Somehow, the "How many of you" did not make it into my feeble brain.

:der:

Back
Top Bottom