How many of you,....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
. Considering the state she works in, this is a little disturbing. I would like to know how many percent of Americans, not to say American Senators, think so (umm, and the American Senator is an American too, isn?t he? I don?t quite get the difference).

1. Washington D.C isn't a state ;) And things that are said in Washington by civilians are generally....umm...very....extreme. There aren't many moderates who choose to live in D.C simply because of its role. I think it's a little hard to explain without having the connotation from living here, so if you want me to clarify I will gladly do so.

That?s really sad. It is shocking, though, that (- if a Senator said so, I don?t know that, I don?t speak Dutch -) is not immediately removed from his position.

Speaking your mind generally doesn't get you fired from your job, that's sort of the point of free speech. The only condition that he could be removed from office on is if his constituents heard about it and impeached him for non-representation of their values. But if we went around impeaching all our representatives who strayed from our wants - uhh..we wouldn't have too many left.

On another note, I, like Dreadsox, have been stewing about this thread for days. I've wondered how many non-Americans truly believe there is a large percentage of Americans who want to bomb Europe. I think what's most important to point out is that there is no overwhelming feeling in the United States that we want to bomb Europe. We won't. And one senator cannot start a bombing campaign, and I think he'd be hard pressed to find 2/3 of the rest of Congress to agree with him and convince the President. Our checks and balances ensure that things don't happen on a whim.

Now, to address how Rono posted the question. In English, the question "How many of you Americans wish that there will be a hugh terrorist attack here in Europe?" is extremely offensive. I think we've made that part clear. But conversing with DrTeeth, in Dutch, the question apparently is not nearly as offensive as we are perceiving it to be. What we Americans need to consider is that Rono being Dutch does not understand all the connotations that go along with the question he asked. There are cultural differences here, and while that only makes up for a portion of why the ideas presented in this thread are offensive, but it does make the way it was posted seem less severe.

Yes, but the point of being a Senator is to have a certain amount of diplomacy, too. Free speech is fine, but I doubt you would like a Senator who says "I think everyone should learn how to fly and crash into buildings in NY" - fine, I am for free speech, but would this person be appreciated in its position? There is a difference of a man in the street saying so, and a Senator, in my opinion.

I agree, DC is not a state. Sorry for this stupidity, I should know, I?ve been there.

I never heard of any American who wanted to bomb Europe nowadays though, thanks to God!

Senators are just citizens, which is something we tend to forget. The argument as to whether they should be held to higher standards is one that is constantly floating around. I think, of course, they should be held to higher standards simply because they are representin their constituents. But alas, not everyone agrees on that idea either.

this is ridiculous, no one seriosly wants to bomb Europe

and I guarantee that if a US Senator genuinely said this, the opposing political party would pounce on it and have him or her removed from office, especially since the balance of power in the Senate is so close

Lilly said:

1. Washington D.C isn't a state ;) And things that are said in Washington by civilians are generally....umm...very....extreme. There aren't many moderates who choose to live in D.C simply because of its role. I think it's a little hard to explain without having the connotation from living here, so if you want me to clarify I will gladly do so.

It isn't people in DC who say that, it's our constituents. That said, there are stupid peope everywhere. I'm sure there are hundreds of Americans who want Europe to be attacked, but there are also hundreds of Europeans who were happy to see American attacked on September 11th. That doesn't mean that every European thinks that way. I think non-Americans are too quick to generalize all Americans based on idiotic statements made by a minority of Americans in the media.

again no one said anything. prove it.

no doubt,

after the superbowl i was at the bar with the old man and a few of the boys were talking about the game and out of nowhere, and i mean nowhere because my dad dont talk much, he says well wasnt that blonde thing the ugliest lookin c**t you ever seen...man did i laugh...but we all know we'd tap it just to say we did.

Dreadsox said:

Rono....where are you????

In the army we called them grenade throwers.

Sorry,...i am not so often here as i used to be.

I could't find his name anymore but i can assure you all, am not stupid and i was not the only one that has heard it.

And this is not a troll thing ore so ( what is a troll ? )

Lilly said:
we know you're not trolling :)

just a bit uncertain about the validity of the news source.
Hmmm, ok.

This TV channel is not owned by a big American company,....

All networks have an agenda, there's bias everywhere. Seems like you are both trying to make the same point, just from different perspectives.
?
:shrug:

Angela Harlem said:
All networks have an agenda, there's bias everywhere. Seems like you are both trying to make the same point, just from different perspectives.
?
:shrug:

I do not know that ,....

I never see a indept interview with a European politician on American television .

It give me the chance to understand American politics a little more ( not that i agree with them).

Rono said:

I do not know that ,....

I never see a indept interview with a European politician on American television .

It give me the chance to understand American politics a little more ( not that i agree with them).

Sorry Rono, not trying to put words in your mouth, but do you mean there is rarely or never interviews with European politicians on American tv, or that you just haven't watched one? If you mean there aren't any...it just shows which side the focus is on.

Back
Top Bottom