How Low Can You Go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripThruUreWires

I serve MacPhisto
The following portion of this Los Angelos Times editorial (written by Pico Iyer and featured in today's edition) was just featured on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno:

Today is the first day when Sept. 11 no longer has to signify a particular traumatic incident; it can refer now to a new day, Sept. 11, 2002. The United States will always be, to some extent, imprisoned by its power. But if it can show the world that it can be humble and ready to change, some good may yet come of all it has suffered. Perhaps the best thing we can learn from older nations--Vietnam, say, or Japan--is that the most useful response to loss is to start looking beyond our wounds and toward how we can avoid hurting others, and getting hurt, again.

Speaking of tasteless, inappropriate, callous, and just plain offensive, i do believe this printed opinion tops even Ravenstar's original post concerning 9/11. How in the fuck could the la times print such crap--editorial or not--particularly today? Why doesn't the bastard just come out and say, "we deserved everything we got" and spare us his roundabout bullshit!
----------
(and btw, yes, i read the entire article)

Last edited:
Perhaps the writer was trying to look at it positively and just didn't do a good job at getting his point across, and said it far too tactlessly?
On a side note, every time I hear an American say "the day that changed America forever", I think "Isnt that giving Osama and his buddies what he wants?". All this media coverage, all the sensationalism..those bastards would be loving it. The media are giving them what they want.

because the author was trying to dazzle you with his eloquence and superior intellect! and if all else fails, it's easier to backtrack from rhetoric, you can just "explain what you meant" a little better if the heat gets to be too much

ZA (cowgirl) america really isn't changed as much as they wanted it to be. i'd say americaNs are altered individually far more than the collective group.

it's hard to explain to people that aren't here. sorry i can't articulate it any better.

mmm Lily, I didnt say America had. I am talking about when American Media describe it as that. They did it on every piece of coverage I saw last night and it made me cringe every time because them saying that is telling them what they want to hear because yes, they DID want to change America. They achieved their goal and the media are letting them know they did a good job every time they say it.

I was reading today how some guy in the media, a photographer, was at Ground Zero on Sept. 11 and decided it would be advantageous for his career I guess to take the uniform and gear of a dead firefighter and wear it, he posed as a firefighter to get in close and take pictures until someone from that station saw him and knew right away he was an imposter, all he got was a $200 fine and community service teaching photography (and hopefully not ethics), not that that story had anything to do with this thread, I just felt like telling it

Back
Top Bottom