How Likely Is A Terrorist Attack In The US This Weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Likely Do You Think It Is That There Will Be An Attack In The US This Weekend?

• Very likely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat likely

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Not likely at all

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No idea

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Since it's the weekend before the election....

A radio talk show I listen to has mentioned hearing chatter about the Michigan/Michigan State game as a possible target, and there are already rumors that the terror alert will be raised.

Just wanted opinions here.

Last edited:
It is likely that the terror alert will be raised, which has little to do with the likelihood of a terrorist attack.

Pop Angel, I noticed in you live in Detroit. No wonder you heard about the U of M/MSU game. It can be adjusted to anywhere. NYC is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the first subway ride today -- makes the subway a target. The topped off WTC7 the other day -- its a sign for terrorists to attack.

Spain got attacked before its election so it's possible. But how is it any different from "We attacked Iraq so they'll attack us." or "The conventions will be attacked to disrupt democracy." My biggest fear is that if there is an attack, it will be used as an excuse to delay the election. No matter what, this election has to take place on Tuesday -- the only exception is if we are attacked on Nov. 2. Spain proved we can go on after an attack and we need to.

joyfulgirl said:
It is likely that the terror alert will be raised, which has little to do with the likelihood of a terrorist attack.
Well what happens if this story is only partially true?
A major network holding back a story re terror to manipulate the election?
ABCNEWS HOLDS TERROR WARNING TAPE

**Exclusive**

In the last week before the election, ABCNEWS is holding a videotaped message from a purported al Qaeda terrorist warning of a new attack on America, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The terrorist claims on tape the next attack will dwarf 9/11. "The streets will run with blood," and "America will mourn in silence" because they will be unable to count the number of the dead. Further claims: America has brought this on itself for electing George Bush who has made war on Islam by destroying the Taliban and making war on Al Qaeda.

ABCNEWS strongly denies holding the tape back from broadcast over political concerns during the last days of the election.

The CIA is analyzing the tape, a top federal source tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

ABCNEWS obtained the tape from a source in Waziristan, Pakistan over the weekend, sources tells DRUDGE.

"We have been working 24 hours a day trying to authenticate [the tape]," a senior ABCNEWS source said Wednesday morning.

The terrorist's face is concealed by a head dress, and he speaks in an American accent, making it difficult to identify the individual.

US intelligence officials believe the man on tape may be Adam Gadhan - aka Adam Pearlman, a California native who was highlighted by the FBI in May as an individual most likely to be involved in or have knowledge of the next al Qaeda attacks.

According to the FBI, Gadahn, 25, attended al-Qaida training camps and served as an al-Qaida translator.

The disturbing tape runs an hour -- the man simply identifies himself as 'Assam the American.'

MORE

No terrorist attack this weekend -- I have plans, damn it! :D

Last edited:
victory_salute_lg.jpg

Not likely.

because it pays to advertise -- at least come election day when enough people are freaked out and vote Bush. I don't think it's a coincidence that the person on this tape has an American accent.

ABCNEWS HOLDS TERROR WARNING VIDEO...

Gives Tape to FBI, CIA...

CIA says,

"Hey we don't want this back
you were supposed to run it.
Like the Itallians
did with that phoney yellow cake document."

Government officials in Washington confirmed that the CIA was analyzing the videotape. One official said it was not yet known whether the tape is authentic or a hoax.

i believe it is a hoax

Headache in a Suitcase said:
http://www.fbi.gov/terrorinfo/gadahn.htm

this man is an american, he is al qaeda, and he is most certainly not a hoax. wether or not he's the man in the video tape is yet unknown, but the fact that people will write off potential warnings as a political move not only pisses me off, but it scares the shit out of me.

This was in my local paper today...this guy is a former OC resident and his family still lives here :|

FBI trying to ID militant speaker in video

Agents are investigating whether a former O.C. resident appears on tape threatening a 9/11-style terror attack.
By ALDRIN BROWN THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

FBI agents are trying to determine whether former Orange County resident Adam Yahiye Gadahn is an English-speaking Islamic militant who appears in a newly discovered videotape threatening a 9/11-style terror attack in the United States, his relatives confirmed Wednesday.

Federal terrorism investigators contacted parents of the 26-year-old Muslim convert Wednesday and asked for help in identifying a masked man who appears on the tape.

Gadahn’s parents and his aunt, Los Angeles Community College trustee Nancy Pearlman, planned to meet with FBI agents to review the tape, possibly as early as late Wednesday night.

"We’ve always tried to cooperate," said Pearlman, 56. "I don’t know how we can identify a masked voice. I haven’t heard his voice in six years."

Pearlman said relatives heard a minute-long excerpt of the tape over the phone as an ABC News reporter tried unsuccessfully to get the family to identify the speaker. Pearlman said she could not recall any of the words.

FBI officials could not be reached for comment.

In May, federal authorities said they were seeking Gadahn, linking him to al-Qaida and saying he may have knowledge of a planned attack.

One published scenario expected to have occurred last summer involved blowing up East Coast fuel facilities.

According to Newsweek, Gadahn was an associate of captured al-Qaida leader Kahalid Shaikh Mohammed, who felt the American’s perfect English and Caucasian appearance could be useful in executing terrorist attacks.

Gadahn grew up in Riverside County before moving to Santa Ana with his grandparents in 1995. During the next three years, he converted to Islam while attending the Islamic Center of Orange County in Garden Grove.

He was arrested in 1997 after he allegedly slapped the mosque’s leader, Haitham A. Bundakji.

Bundakji, 56, said Gadahn had drifted toward a segment of the congregation that held extremist views and disapproved of the Orange County center’s efforts to reach out to local Jews and Christians.

Bundakji learned of the new investigation when contacted by the Register on Wednesday. "I remember his voice," he said. "The FBI hasn’t contacted me, but if they do I will be more than happy to help."

Gadahn left Orange County in 1998 for Pakistan and Afghanistan, where he trained at an al-Qaida camp and was a translator, authorities said.

I think it's extraordinarily unlikely. I think in general the whole terrorism threat is way, way overblown.

Frankly, I'm more concerned that a Kerry win will result in another OKC type incident - not foreign terrorists, but domestic right-wing extremists. The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.

strannix said:

Frankly, I'm more concerned that a Kerry win will result in another OKC type incident - not foreign terrorists, but domestic right-wing extremists. The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.

Mmmmmm, interesting point. I hadn't considered that.

strannix said:
The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.

Have you been on left wing websites? Try a place like democratic underground where paranoia runs rampant, there is talk about assassination and revolution if there is a Bush win, and conspiracy theories about "evil rethugs" are given out with no tinfoil hats present. I love going on that site because I can't fathom people so far out there.

My point is that it isn't fair to say that just one side would do something like that, because both extremes are just as capable. Look into the ultra left organization ELF that is a known domestic terrorist organization....

ImOuttaControl said:

Have you been on left wing websites? Try a place like democratic underground where paranoia runs rampant, there is talk about assassination and revolution if there is a Bush win, and conspiracy theories about "evil rethugs" are given out with no tinfoil hats present. I love going on that site because I can't fathom people so far out there.

My point is that it isn't fair to say that just one side would do something like that, because both extremes are just as capable. Look into the ultra left organization ELF that is a known domestic terrorist organization....

Certainly there is potential for violence at both extremes, and I don't pretend to claim otherwise. My point is that the right-wing in general and the GOP specifically has been cultivating an image of Dems as people who are actively working against the US, and that such a strategy will inevitably result in violence.

For one very recent example, look at this story about Tom DeLay, in which he directly (and falsely) accuses his opponent, Richard Morrison, of taking money from groups that sponsor people fighting our troops in Iraq. This is the House Majority leader, unambigously accusing his opponent of working with traitors to get elected!

No, it's just not the same on the left. You don't see Democrats accusing the media of working for the enemy because they're printing unfavorable stories. You don't see Democratic leaders saying that Republicans don't care about national security. You don't see Democrats running for office comparing their opponents to bin Laden or Saddam Hussein.

It's not the same.

strannix said:
The right has spent way too much time cultivating an "evil Democrats are out to destroy us" mentality for those chickens not to come home to roost.

This is laughable. If anything, the stereotype Democrat is the tax and spend liberal.

As for evil, I think the left has cornered the market in trying to stereotype the Republicans. A sampling of posts from this board alone will bear that out.

Back
Top Bottom