How can Republicans (or political conservatives) be U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arturod

The Fly
I'm pretty left wing, but I know some people how are very politically conservative and are U2 fans. I just find this hypocritical and paradoxical. It seems you shouldn't be able to be Republican and be a U2 fan, given the band's and Bono's stances on many of the issues. How can you people live with these contradictions? Just wondering.

[This message has been edited by arturod (edited 11-13-2001).]

I used to ask myself the same question. I think that most hard line republican concervatives who enjoy U2, like them for different reasons than some Us. I love them because of their stance on human rights and anti war themes. Maybe concervatives just enjoy the the melody in their songs or maybe they only enjoy the spiritual love theme of their songs. But you are right, it does seem a bit paradoxical. I think a right wing republican would asnwer this question best though.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Ask Congressmen Spencer Bachus and John Kasich, or Senator Orrin Hatch.

And Jesse Helms too-LMAO at him saying the show was 'the loudest thing he's ever heard' and how he was 'amazed that Bono could run around like that at his age'

Note to Jesse-get out more often.

Most people on this board are politically conservative. Anyone can enjoy U2's music.

I also think that some of it relates to the fact the U2 were perceived as or were in fact "Christian" or religious in the early 80's and some people connected with that and have stayed with the band because they've always loved the music.

Myself? My favorite years are the 90's when U2 were serving the devil.
icon16.gif

Although I'm registered Independent, I would probably consider myself a Republican. I'm kind of in the middle on alot of issues, but I seem to agree with the Republican view on most things.... I don't think you have to be right wing to be a Republican... I certainly don't think you can't be a U2 fan if you are a Republican....

Originally posted by arturod:
...I know some people how are very politically conservative and are U2 fans. I just find this hypocritical and paradoxical. It seems you shouldn't be able to be Republican and be a U2 fan, given the band's and Bono's stances on many of the issues. How can you people live with these contradictions? Just wondering.

Typical Newbie.

Anyway, you're right. In order to recieve enjoyment from music/movies/media I must fully agree with and believe in their message and methods. I'm sorry that I'm not as enlightened as you or Bono.

rolleyes.gif

I am not so sure that arturod is a "newbie." Seeing the November 2000 registration date reminds me that a med student from Texas came around here and asked this same question once before.

arturod: do you think there should be some type of "screening process," maybe with background checks and issues-litmus tests, before someone can claim to be a U2 fan? Because God knows, we are supposed to look to our favorite musicians, actors, televisions cooks and boxing ring champions for our political views, aren't we?

~U2Alabama

Rock music is all about rythym. However just cause you've got rythym, it doesn't mean you've got soul.

Just cause you like the music, doesn't mean you have to listen to the lyrics or bonos speeches.

But if you don't, you're sure as hell missing something
wink.gif

It seems pretty judgemental to say that you can't be a Republican and a U2 fan. It is possible to be Republican and open minded, and sensitive many of the situations Bono and the boys feel so passionately about. I am a card carrying Republican, and after the LA1 show last night, I will also be a U2 fan for life.

Republicans aren't anit-human rights. Republicans aren't anti-Christian. And there are many cases where Republicans in power have done very U2-like things. The whole Drop the Debt campaign comes to mind. And I remember living in Illinois about two years ago when the Republican governor placed a moratorium on the death penalty [very big human rights/Amnesty International issue].

In the end, its all about humanity which transcends political boundaries. And coincidentally, its all about the music which transcends any boundaries you try to confine it to.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
Uh oh, here comes 80sU2isbest...
Yeep, here I come.

I like U2 for two reasons:

1)They are Christians who really appear to love the Lord.

2)They make great music

Just because I don't agree with many of their political stances doesn't mean it's odd that I like their lyrics or music.

Truly, this was a sorta lame question to ask.

I agree with 80s U2 is Best and Shygirl.

As a matter of fact, I only recently found out they were flaming leftists and it came as quite a shock and disappointment. I always took them to be 'good Christian boys' and I never would have guessed! To be quite honest, it took a little while to 'forgive' them.

Bono was quoted recently as saying he had stopped tarring everyone (of certain beliefs) with the same brush, surely we can all do the same! We can all enjoy the music! So far I haven't heard any U2 lyrics that go 'if you don't believe exactly as we do don't buy our record!'

Arturod, if you really think that you are just as 'closed minded' and 'intolerant' as I'm sure you, as all leftists, accuse most Republicans of being!

Here's more Bono and Jesse for ya!
biggrin.gif

kb88091.jpg

I'm pretty left wing, but I know some people how are very politically conservative and are U2 fans. I just find this hypocritical and paradoxical. It seems you shouldn't be able to be Republican and be a U2 fan, given the band's and Bono's stances on many of the issues. How can you people live with these contradictions? Just wondering.

Sing with me everyone.

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

U2 sound good. if freakin' spooky reuben sounded this good i would spend a ton of money on him. but only U2 has U2's sound.
U2 are a rock band and they are good at it, they also happen to be fairly well versed in certain issues of global concern and often choose to incorporate that into their music. but, imo, their political views are secondary to the music.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

[This message has been edited by arturod (edited 11-13-2001).]

I agree with 80s. They make great music with such intense power. I'm conservative but I respect Bono tremendously for his convictions....even if I don't agree 100% all the time.

------------------
The numeral 7

Originally posted by Veranda:
I

As a matter of fact, I only recently found out they were flaming leftists and it came as quite a shock and disappointment.

I wouldn't say that they are "flaming leftists"...liberals, yes...

------------------
The numeral 7

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 11-13-2001).]

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:

Truly, this was a sorta lame question to ask.

It's not a lame question to ask, it's one of the best questions asked on this forum EVER.
I've been trying to find out the same thing several times in other peoples threads but no one would care to answer...
IMO U2 is not just the melody, it's melody, lyrics and attitude. The whole thing. and if I were a conservative, I would find it impossible to listen to just the melody 'cause all the other things are so present. I would go nuts.
And about U2 being christians, well, you can say that my dilemma with U2 lies here. I'm not religous. but, I can stand the preeching in, let's say Gloria, 'cause religion has not half the importance of politics to me. This is not to say I don't find religion interesting, 'cause I do, I just don't find preaching and lyrics about how good God is interesting.. but it's something I can overlook.There are other very interesting pieces of writing.

I think what we forget is that Bono and the rest of the band aren't writing these songs "for" us, they are just expressing their OWN feelings and views through music.. To be upset b/c they don't go along with our own personal political or religious views is just insane.

I think you should be able to take away some personal meaning from a song, but don't forget it probably means something totally different to the people that wrote it.

Yes, of course I agree entirely with the religious, political, etc. etc. views of every band, author, movie, etc. that I enjoy. Despite the fact that they're all different in their political views, religious views, personal lives, and so on.

What a ridiculous idea. Why don't people get over this?? I'm sorry but the prevalence of this view is really starting to bug me.

It so happens that I'm a Jehovah's Witness and I'm politically neutral. I know other JWs who like U2--a couple came to the concert in Vancouver with me. Because U2 sometimes expresses political views, I guess I'll throw out all my records. If Bono says something at a concert that is a sentiment I don't feel I can echo, I don't scream and cheer it. Is that so hard to understand?

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 11-13-2001).]

As a matter of fact, I only recently found out they were flaming leftists and it came as quite a shock and disappointment.

Why?

Explain what you disagree with, please.

How many of U2's songs actually deal with politics that a republican would disagree with? All I can think of is Bullet the Blue Sky...?

Mothers Of The Dissappeared

The people who took their kids away in the night were bankrolled by the U.S government. Specifically the Regan administration.

Yes, Bono is "playin" the Bush Administration on debt relief. It's called "politics" and as I said in an earlier post my righteous friend on the right, Bono is a master at it. This logically explains the B-man's public praise of the Administration. Again, my righteous friend, this is an issue that Bono can rally Republican's behind because he can show how it can actually BENEFIT them politically. It actually is the perfect issue for a Republican. They can "look" compassionate without getting their hands dirty.

Orrin Hatch is simply NOT a compassionate, caring man, politically speaking. If you call fighting for tax cuts for the wealthy, backing the Health Insurance lobby over Universal Health Care, and opposing extended unemployment benefits to those who lost their job as a result of 9/11 (to name only a few!) compassionate, then you and I have vastly different interpretations of "compassionate". Hatch is an angry, mean spirited man...yes, Bono thanked him righteously at SLC over "Drop the Debt" ...but what does one expect? Hatch's track record is abysmal when it comes to political issues of "compassion" and will continue to be so in the future. At least he didn't "drop the ball" on "drop the debt" so I can give him some props for that!

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

Mr Someone-I suggest you have Bono edit the current Elevation Tour brochere where he says nice things about the Bush Administration, but that's right according to YOU he's just 'playin' these ppl right?

Absolutely!!!! Bono is smart enough to know that by insulting the current administration then he is not going to get what he wants out of them. Bono is in a position where he needs money, something that people are loath to give. He can't be like the Ani DiFrancos of the world and go about slinging arrows at the people who's support he needs.
But think about it Bush and Bono are diametrically opposed.
-Bush put so many people to death during his run as govenor of Texas that it's not even funny. No one can deny this. U2 and Amnesty International certainly would not apporve.
-Bush makes his money off of oil concerns, U2 are ardent Green Peace supporters.
-Bush has stated that he is opposed to making Gay marriages legal. U2 "belive in love."
The list goes on and on. Now I am not saying that conservatives can't like U2, I'm sure that the religous link is a big draw for many conservatives, I'm just going to contend that I'm not sure those who are politically conservative nessisarily understand alot of what U2 is trying to say. And you know, I frankly think it's great that some U2 fans are conservative, I hope the music will influence them to gain perhaps a more liberal outlook.
Also is the "songs that Republicans wouldn't like category" think of Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car. Now think of the fact that Bush ran his oil company in Texas into the ground THREE TIMES before becoming president. Each time his father, or his father's friends bailed him out.
AH HA SHA-LA.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose. http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

[This message has been edited by notiti (edited 11-13-2001).]

Originally posted by pub crawler:
Most people on this board are politically conservative.

I would have to disagree on this point. I think that the conservatives here simply make their voices more known. They tend to get more into the ideological arguments, especially those in Free Your Mind. Nothing wrong with that--if I had more time I might get in a little more than I already do to help defend the liberal viewpoint. But I think given the average age of the people in here (around 22), I would have a very hard time believing that we are actually outnumbered. The conservatives in here make up for that with the number of posts they make, and their general conviction. I'm just too busy to take much part in these arguments anymore.

As for the original question, I don't think you have to agree with everything U2 says in order to be a fan. Their spirituality goes a long way, and that really helped them in the early days, even before they were political. As they became more and more politcal, they just tended to be anti-Reagan when they saw the effects. I don't think they emphasized that too much though, aside from BTBS. Most of their politics have been anti-IRA and pro-human rights, which most fans can agree on. I think the most important aspects of their music are the themes expressed in each song/album. Those universal themes are why just about anyone can like them.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Like someone to blame:
A typically arrogant, uncompassionate response by a conservative.
Eh? How does me saying that "Truly this was a lame thread" having anything to do with (1)Lack of compassion/arrogance or (2)Conservatism?

By the way, your insults to me were much worse than me calling a thread "lame", so practice what you preach, ok?

If the poster was truly offended by me calling his/her post "lame", I would have to wonder why he/she is touchy...

Back
Top Bottom