How can a man live without honor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Police Say Georgia Man Killed Own Daughter to Protect Family Honor

Monday , July 07, 2008

abc_rashid_080707_mn.jpg

A Georgia man appeared in court Monday on charges he killed his own daughter for disgracing his family.

54-year-old Chaudhry Rashad, wearing a red jumpsuit and shackles around his ankles, went before Chief Judge Daphne Walker at the Clayton County Magistrate Court.

Rashad, who is of Pakistani descent, kept his head down as charges were read, and appeared to have difficulty understanding instructions from the judge, possibly the effect of a language barrier.

His two sons were also in attendance, watching their father from seats in the rear of the courtroom, joined by two others. Rashad waved to their corner as he shuffled out, bound by the shackles.

Police said Rashad was so angered that his daughter, Sandela Kanwal, planned to divorce her arranged-marriage husband that he killed her after a heated argument at the family's home. Rashad reportedly used a bungee cord in the attack.

Police who arrived at the scene arrived said they found Rashad's two sons at the end of the driveway and their father smoking a cigarette in the garage. After entering the home, Kanwal's body was discovered in the bathtub, cold to the touch, officials said.

Rashad was taken to the Clayton County jail where he reportedly confessed to strangling his 25-year-old daughter.

I guess we need a Court that uses aspects of Islamic law (shari'a) that could be employed to deal with family and marital disputes among Muslims.

Britain is considering this?

I guess we need a Court that uses aspects of Islamic law (shari'a) that could be employed to deal with family and marital disputes among Muslims.
Why? is this normative American Muslim behavior?

Why? is this normative American Muslim behavior?

Good point.

I guess, I am more distressed by the fact that some in Britain are advocating for religious laws to supercede civil laws in some instances.

As for this man, that murdered his daughter?

I believe he will fall under the full force of our criminal laws.

But, there are many that want our Civil and Criminal Laws to be influence by their religious beliefs.

This case is the whole camel.

Many are all to happy to invite the Camel's nose under the tent.

Britain's highest judge is considering using aspects of Sharia law, not Britain, and he is only considering them over minor disputes etc. as far as I've read, not honor killings.

Killing one's daughter for seeking a divorce has nothing to do with sharia anyhow, nor are "honor killings" by any means unique to (certain ethnic subgroups of) Muslims; I've addressed this before (here and here).

The closest thing to a precedent for 'parallel family courts' in the US, at least that I know of, would be a foolish New York State law stating that, in cases where a marriage was performed by a religious celebrant, the civil courts cannot grant a divorce until whoever files it can show that s/he has taken--on the religion's terms--"all steps within his or her power to remove all barriers to the other spouse’s remarriage, or the other spouse has waived in writing the applicant’s obligation to file the statement". Unfortunately, in the case of some Haredi Orthodox Jewish sects, this has led to numerous women being unable to obtain a divorce (either civil or religious) because their husbands refused to grant either (Jewish law requires that the husband initiate a divorce). Ironically, this civil-law "privilege" came about because when rabbinical courts lost the power to grant marriages (as opposed to the state), they also lost the power to compel recalcitrant husbands to grant divorces through the application of various punitive "incentives," as prescribed by Jewish law.

With Catholics, a couple can divorce at anytime. They can still receive communion. But, if they want to remarry in the Catholic Church, they must get an annulment from the prior marriage first, which is almost always granted.

With Catholics, a couple can divorce at anytime. They can still receive communion. But, if they want to remarry in the Catholic Church, they must get an annulment from the prior marriage first, which is almost always granted.

You make the annulment sound so easy to achieve. Speaking as a child who watched his parents get one, it made me the bastard I am today.

Meanwhile, they fail to protect the flock from pedophiles. NICE.

Jump through this hoop, jump through that.....

Actually it depends on the national Catholic Church.

My father was married before he married my mother. They could not get a Catholic priest to marry them. They eventually found one who had some common sense and human decency and he did it without the Bishop's blessing.

Actually it depends on the national Catholic Church.

My father was married before he married my mother. They could not get a Catholic priest to marry them. They eventually found one who had some common sense and human decency and he did it without the Bishop's blessing.

Yes, a common sense one.....my wife and I could have used one of those. Instead, I was required to confess that I had sinned by not asking permission to marry outside of the church before he would Baptize my child.

Anyways, I am derailing.

This guy clearly needs to be put in prison and released after some time. Life is too long and death is to kind. He can get some councilling and be back on the street in a few years. What is that called? Reformed?

You make the annulment sound so easy to achieve. Speaking as a child who watched his parents get one, it made me the bastard I am today.

Meanwhile, they fail to protect the flock from pedophiles. NICE.

Jump through this hoop, jump through that.....

I am so sorry for the pain you went through. You are not a bastard and I agree, sexual abuse should never be tolerated, by anyone. The Catholic Church should have never covered this up. And thankfully, from what I hear, they are taking a different approach. now. I did not grow up as a Catholic, I went to a very traditional Protestant Church. I was just saying that Catholics can divorce. Because, they have to follow governmental law. And I agree with you. The annulment process is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom