Homosexualty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it works very well for me.

:up:

just as i'm sure being male works well for some.

and having red hair works best for others.

and many people enjoy being left handed.

Wow, two threads in the same forum with the same title and same spelling error.

Um, I'm "for" homosexuality....:scratch:

Im a hetro and im in full support for the Gay community and equality.

Why anyone would hate someone because they choose to sleep with their own sex is beyond me.

I know a guy who is very against homosexuality. He actually snuck on to his housemates computer looking for evidence that he was gay.

Sure enough, he found something and this asshole guy actually kicked the kid out of the house b/c of what he found. So yah, I guess you could say some people are against it.

I've grown in up in many different Christian communities, being that my father was a pastor. I've seen lots of different views on homosexuality. Unfortunatly most have been negative most of my life. For that, I apologize. I am a Christian. But I will not judge you any different than any other person I meet in my lifetime.

So I can't answer your question with a yes or a no. But I will say that I accept you as you are.

Oh come on; are you for gay culture as much as you are for homophobic cultural attitudes? We make decisions about what activities we personally support and don't support all the time - I don't mind the gays, they have enriched culture disproportionately and I sure as hell oppose religious pricks that condemn (even to the level of violence) people just because of sexual predilection (and no I don't think of sexuality as a choice but wouldn't care even if it was).

well, i definitely don't agree with homophobic cultural attitudes, but i wouldn't call them all sinners, treat them like dirt, and deny them legal rights. i don't support, nor agree, but that doesn't make me AGAINST in that i try to bring them down. i guess i assumed "against" to be a more active term.

But any progressive minded person should try to bring them down or support those that do; unless bigots are confronted, highlighted, mocked or otherwise denigrated they have a free hand.

A_Wanderer said:
But any progressive minded person should try to bring them down or support those that do; unless bigots are confronted, highlighted, mocked or otherwise denigrated they have a free hand.

see, i don't know about that though. if both sides are stubbornly going off about how they are right and how the other is wrong, how is that progress?

It's progress in that the fleshy middle of public opinion will hopefully have more revulsion at the haters than gay sex.

oh you are speaking about convincing the fleshy middle!! i thought you were referring to the haters. i'm just saying that i think what the haters need is a change of heart, and i don't think that will happen if we slap them in the heads and call them morons.

I see nothing wrong with it. How does it hurt anyone?

And if by chance it is wrong, who are we to judge? Doesn't the bible say "He who is without sin cast the first stone"?

The bible says a lot of stuff but then again so does the TV times and that aint always right.

In my opnion if your for it you must be for same sex marriages, and laws that give same sex couples the same rights as hetrosexual couples.

If your against those laws your no better than the people that spit in their faces.

redhotswami said:
oh you are speaking about convincing the fleshy middle!! i thought you were referring to the haters. i'm just saying that i think what the haters need is a change of heart, and i don't think that will happen if we slap them in the heads and call them morons.
Their never going to change, but they can be rhetorically castrated.

Mr. Green Eyes said:
Well, since I am gay, then I'm for it.:up: Still have to tell the family though, which is going to be hard since they are construvites (know I spelled that wrong). But my friends still accepted me, after I told them, so at lease I have them for support.

:hug:

hope all is going well for you.

A_Wanderer said:

one can see this process happen in FYM all the time.

and when you dig through the FYM archives, you'll see remarkable growth in acceptance since, say, 2002.

A_Wanderer said:

:lol: you have a way with words.
you might be surprised though. despite my father's usual conservative opinions, he didn't mind me inviting one of my gay friends over for thanksgiving. My friend couldn't make it :sad:, and I don't think my dad is 100% accepting yet, but I was happy he was at least willing to invite my friend to his home and have him over for dinner. Baby steps. I'm still workin on him.

I bet he would of thrown away the cutelry and plates after though :lol:

Something my grandad would do that

vaz02 said:
I bet he would of thrown away the cutelry and plates after though :lol:

Something my grandad would do that

:lol: nah, he's not that bad...though, he probably would have 5 years ago.

but, he would've probably said something absurd after my friend left, like "he's such a nice guy! that's a shame he is gay. hopefully someday he will grow out of it"

...or something.

A_Wanderer said:
I've personally seen several people have a "change of heart," and usually it happened because they met some gay people who were patient enough to give them a chance to hear and think about what it's like to be gay, to become aware of oneself as gay, and to experience the isolation and animosity that so many gay people do socially. Not because someone ridiculed or "rhetorically castrated" them. It's true not everyone will change but you can't tell in advance who will.

In general there are people on any "side" who are really more looking for an excuse to piss on people than anything else and call it standing up for something. Unfortunately for them, other people do notice that and draw conclusions accordingly. I've heard so many older people say that a turning point in the Civil Rights Movement for them was seeing the televised footage of Bull Connor setting attack dogs and firehoses on quietly praying adult and child protestors at Birmingham in 1963. It's very, very sad that it took seeing cruelty against good people that stark to bring the moral urgency of the issue home for them, may it never happen again here but I think the lesson from that is broadly applicable to all kinds of civil rights issues. It's good and necessary to stay motivated and persistent about it, but one should also seek to embody the attributes one is faulting other people for not having, and not falsely externalize them by attributing their presence or absence to membership or lack of it in some social group or another; understanding what it means to be a compassionate person is much more complicated than that. Unfortunately freedom carries with it the temptation to use its devices against other people and sadly there are some limits to what can be done about that; but reacting to that impasse with hatred is a recipe for an increasingly divided society not an increasingly tolerant one.

Irvine511 said:

one can see this process happen in FYM all the time.

and when you dig through the FYM archives, you'll see remarkable growth in acceptance since, say, 2002.

You got me. I was never "against" gay people, but I didn't really care/wasn't all that sympathetic until I became good friends with someone gay and learned how he is treated by his own family. Also, I'm big on the constitution and the whole idea of individual and EQUAL rights, especially where legal and financial matters for couples is concerned. If people are so grossed out by homosexuality they think it's wrong, fine (well, not fine, but fine for them to be weird like that), but that's no excuse to support legislative discrimination.

Back
Top Bottom