Holy Kanye! Anybody else see this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiral_Staircase

War Child
This was really bizarre to watch. What do you think?

Kanye West Slams Bush In Live Telethon
Ryan Burrow - Chicago

During NBC's live broadcast of Concert for Hurricane Relief rapper Kanye West, in what appeared to be an impromptu address, told viewers that National Guardsmen were given the unfair order to shoot at African-Americans on the streets of New Orleans.

In a stumbling, yet defiant statement, West proclaimed that when African-Americans were caught stealing in New Orleans, they were called looters. However when whites were caught, they were just feeding their families.

He was joined by former Saturday Night Live star Mike Myers, who returned to the script, and seemed frustrated by the the rapper's remarks.

West then declared "George Bush doesn't care about black people." Before the rapper could complete his statement, NBC producers cut away.

The hour-long NBC telethon Friday raised money for the Red Cross. Other musicians included Harry Connick Junior, Tim McGraw, and Aaron Neville.

Jesse Jackson on Larry King Live pretty much agreed with the comments saying Bush "is not acting like he cares about black people"

trevster2k said:
Jesse Jackson on Larry King Live pretty much agreed with the comments saying Bush "is not acting like he cares about black people"

Yes, but he wasn't bizarre to watch.

The Kanye thing was kind of weird. I'm not getting into his message, but the timing was odd if you watch the clip.

I hope the media doesn't just focus in on this (not the racism issue, but the "OMG, did you hear what Kanye did?!" aspect). The media has been doing a really good job covering the story so far, I hope they don't go off on a tangent :(.

Last edited:
I saw it and yes it was weird. I thought to myself "wow here is a telethon to help the victims and it doesn't seem very professional at all"

I do however think he might have a point. Most of the people left behind are poor, black or old.

I heard last night that 50% of New Olreans' children live below the poverty level. That is rather...shall I say disgusting...considering we are spending trillions of dollars in Iraq.

Last edited:
CNN showed the clip a little while ago. It was rather bizarre. I can sort of see why some people would say it's inappropriate because it was a telethon but he seemed really emotional and shaken up by what he's been seeing on the news.

:lol: The look on Mike Myers' face when Kanye said that!!

But seriously...it was a total stream-of-consciousness, he looked (and sounded) pissed nearly to the point of tears, and in all honesty, I think he has a right to be upset.

Perhaps there is a grain of truth in it, after all.

I was flipping channels and happened to catch it. I had been watching Larry King, and about the time he brought it up to Jesse Jackson was when I got a phone call and didn't hear Jesse's response. :huh:

edgeboy said:
screw kanye!:mad:

That's a reasonable reaction, buddy...

Kanye is absolutely right. I love that someone spoke their mind as opposed to simply reading off a teleprompter. He seemed quite disturbed by the whole situation, even to the point where he was choking up at a couple parts. I believe he is completely genuine and I like that he has the balls to say what he wants to say.

Not only that, but Late Registration is a great record.

Spiral_Staircase said:
(Kayne) told viewers that National Guardsmen were given the unfair order to shoot at African-Americans on the streets of New Orleans.

Yes, Kanye, I'm sure that's EXACTLY how the NG directive was worded..... Way ta go, homie, I'm sure that one got the phones ringing of the wall.

The point he misses(gasp!) is that the task of delivering aid to a town that size under those circumstances isn't something that happens quickly. It isn't the same as asking Dominos to deliver 10 pies to somebody's corporate office...

Until then, all we'll see are the unfortunate sights we are seeing now.

To compound matters, no rescue/relief worker in their right mind would set one foot in that town before order is restored.

Restoring that order is a job that will take some tough, decisive actions on the part of the Natl gaurd REGARDLESS of race.

Relief workers need to be able to do their job without fear of being raped or murdered.

Meanwhile, the people in Mississippi and Alabama (the places where the hurricane actually HIT) aren't getting Jack Squat. they're the ones who should be pissed.

Last edited:
I didn't even bother to watch the darn thing....

I'm tto poor to help those other poor folks anyway.

The ironic thing is that in 4-5 years, those "poor" folks from N.O. will be on their feet in homes again, while the rest of us po' folks who haven't gone through a disaster WILL STILL BE POOR!

Is that fair to us?

:tsk:

What are you talking about?

Fair to us? This is a natural disaster. These people were poor to start...people are trying to restore basic human needs right now (shelter and food)...something you obviously have (as well as internet to post more than 2500 posts here in the past year +). If you have that time on your hands, you can probably make a better life for yourself too.

The poverty in New Orleans (and all over Ms. La. Al. Ak.) is well documented. The aid that will be provided will not drag these people of the poverty they were in...just restore basic human needs. There will still be a lot of corruption there.

Jamila said:
I didn't even bother to watch the darn thing....

I'm tto poor to help those other poor folks anyway.

The ironic thing is that in 4-5 years, those "poor" folks from N.O. will be on their feet in homes again, while the rest of us po' folks who haven't gone through a disaster WILL STILL BE POOR!

Is that fair to us?

:tsk:

Oh my god. Wtf?

As long as you have a will, there's always a way to change your lot in life.

Maybe take a break from helping Bono and help yourself.

Please do not judge too much.

You do not know how truly poor all these "po' folks" in N.O. were.

You also do not know me.

When's the last time you were downsized from a job and had to beg food from a pantry?

Until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, we definitely have no reason to criticize.

I AM poor and have been desparately trying to better my situation in a local eceonomy which has sucked for years.

I am in much better a situation to talk about the plight of the poor than people who have never known poverty a day in their lives.

I live in Texas and our poverty down here is also well documented. So please do not tell me about the South - I live here.

I also know a lot of folks from N.O. or with friends from N.O. and their experiences with the "poor and downtrodden" people there are much different than the saintly picture of these folks which is being portrayed in the media.

Listen - you have your viewpoint and I have mine.

But I think that's it's very judgmental and unfair for you or anyone else to dismiss the viewpoint of a person caught in poverty.

You say you care about the poor but you bash the opinions of one.

Hypocritical at best.

Now, please excuse me - I have to go make your sandwiches today at Subway while y'all sit around and bash my American right to voice my opinions.:tsk:

Your point is taken, Jamila. But right now, people are dying for whatever reason. That is unacceptable--as it is in Africa--if we can stop it.

There is poverty and there is survival. First we help the people survive, then we work on the poverty.

But I agree with you. Poverty won't be a priority when all of this is over either.

I can't judge his motivations, I don't know him. I do know he likes to speak his mind and has a reputation for being arrogant, that's just his reputation, who knows? I think he has a right to be angry though, I've never been a member of the racial minority in this country so I have no idea what it's like. To say that George Bush doesn't care about black people though..well that's extreme. I have to give Bush the benefit of the doubt on that one

It's just depressing on top of what is so depressing about the hurricane already because this points out the racial divide and problems that still exist in this country, we can't ignore those.

This blog is, well interesting..and the comments as well

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randall-robinson/new-orleans_b_6643.html

I like this comment

This fish stinks from the head down.

I can't say the President is a racist.
I can't say the President doesn't care about humanity.
I CAN say he's manifestly and dangerously disconnected from the frailty of the human condition (much of Congress is, too).

The disconnection is both intellectual and emotional. He's always had access to a family fortune, so he can't fathom the notion of a dire personal crisis for which he is unable to immediatly spend his way to, at the very least, a short-term solution. If an individual crisis is so "out of the box" for him, how can he possibly comprehend the physical and emotional toll of 100,000 such crises happening all in one place and one time?

This failing doesn't make the President a bad person. These failings do not make like-raised members of Congress bad people. These failings do make them underqualified to hold their offices. Remember this in 2006 & 2008.

now that's always one way to take some positive action, in the voting booth. Obviously that doesn't help right now, but maybe at some point in the future..

Jamila said:

When's the last time you were downsized from a job and had to beg food from a pantry?

I was downsized in March 2002. Prior to that I was laid off in 1999. I struggled. But I realized what I had to do to live...and I would NEVER...NEVER pull this "whoa is me" crap. I fought to where I am now, and am still paying for the down times. But I have taken personal responsibility. I have set a new course, realizing that the other one wasn't working. I have moved my way up into a better spot. ME. I did not look for handouts. And if this happens again...I will do the same.

You will not hear me complain that MY situation sucks...I deal with it and try to improve.

Again, you mention Austin, Texas. This is an OUTSTANDING area of opportunity. If it isn't for you, maybe you need to move.

Jamila said:

Hypocritical at best.

:lol:

Yes...you are. You are bashing the "poor" in New Orleans...saying THEY are not worthy.

How can you not see YOUR hypocritical ways?

Jamila said:

You also do not know me.

Until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes, we definitely have no reason to criticize.

I AM poor and have been desparately trying to better my situation in a local eceonomy which has sucked for years.

I am in much better a situation to talk about the plight of the poor than people who have never known poverty a day in their lives.

I live in Texas and our poverty down here is also well documented. So please do not tell me about the South - I live here.

I also know a lot of folks from N.O. or with friends from N.O. and their experiences with the "poor and downtrodden" people there are much different than the saintly picture of these folks which is being portrayed in the media.

But I think that's it's very judgmental and unfair for you or anyone else to dismiss the viewpoint of a person caught in poverty.

Hypocritical at best.

Now, please excuse me - I have to go make your sandwiches today at Subway while y'all sit around and bash my American right to voice my opinions.:tsk:

I was laid off in December 2001 and was out of work for a YEAR. I came *this* close to having it happen again just this week. So, before you think we have no idea what it's like, don't assume.

You also said we were being "hypocritical", when it's plainly obvious you're being the same way yourself. Here you are, with a job and internet access, yet those people in NOLA have nothing but the clothes off their backs, and if they're lucky, their loved ones, and all you can do is bitch that no one's been giving your "po' ass" assistance.

I think at this moment in time we all should be counting our blessings instead of bashing these people, however "small" those blessings may be. It's so wrong I can't even stand it. I'm truly disgusted.

Jamila said:

You also do not know me.

Hypocritical at best.

Perhaps you should get off YOUR COMPUTER SOMEONE (you?) PAID FOR HOOKED UP TO AN ISP WHICH SOMEONE (you?) IS PAYING FOR AND STOP COMPLAINING.

I was made redundant 4 months ago.

No one is criticising the poor.

No one is bashing your right to voice your opinions.

This is the single most weird behaviour I've seen from an Interference member, ever. So unexpected. :| Surely you should be waxing lyrical about how the goodness of our saviour Bono will bring salvation to the poor people affected by the tusnami.. erm sorry hurricane?

~*~ Everywhere you go you shout it :hug: :hug: :love: We're one but we're not the same ~*~

Last edited:
:lol: palace hero...you summed up my thoughts in your last statement.
Seriously. This mass disaster is not just an insurance break for the people that had to abandon their city.
Regardless of whether or not they "deserve" to start a new life, what do any of us really deserve?
It certainly is a lot less than I have in my case.

I remember having to give up my lunch money and sneak it back into my dads wallet when I was younger just so my parents could afford to pay the minimum on the credit cards. Poverty isnt confined to certain areas.
But I suppose that the poverty in Africa is more deserving of our attention because Bono cares about it

Thanks U2BG.

Honestly I think Jamila having a go because these people will be getting assistance is sheer lunacy and to be honest, jealousy.

Hey, perhaps we should all prey that Jamila will recieve a natural disaster so people will help her out? :rolleyes: Poverty is sad throughout the world and I for one am very much into keeping everything in perspective. I give as much gravitas to 9/11 as I would the killings in Ethiopia (for example). Admittedly that is little of a focus, but I atleast don't care about each disaster equally. However to resent the unfortunate in this incident because they are getting attention sounds like a petulant child whinging and crying for their parents affection, all because their sibling has cut their knee and is having it kissed better.

Jog on Jamila.

Back
Top Bottom