Hockey dad found guilty of involuntary manslaughter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's weird. What he did was terrible. Yet I feel sorry for him. He obviously has a rage problem. I wish our prisons were more rehabilitive so people like him could get a second chance.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by mikal:
It's weird. What he did was terrible. Yet I feel sorry for him. He obviously has a rage problem. I wish our prisons were more rehabilitive so people like him could get a second chance.

Agreed. Both men had very rough lives, from what I understand.

I have very little sympathy for this man. I'm sure if I knew him personally I'd have more sympathy. But as it stands, I think it's unfortunate he'll probably get out in 3-4 years. He should be locked up for 20 or more years. I don't give a damn what his excuses are, he killed someone over a hockey practice that got too physical for his liking.

The coach shouldn't have replied as he allegedly did. But it is inexcusable for the dad to keep on and on and on hitting the coach. What pub crawler said, plus another 80 years.

I guess I'm just very sympathetic for murderers. Yes, I know that sounds fucked up. But the way I look at it, there is something that caused them to be that way. Yes, they are responsible for the decisions they make. But what happened in their childhood? What influenced them to make a bad choice?

------------------

Originally posted by TheU2:
Mikal - Would you feel sorry for Hitler if he was the product of an f'd up childhood?

CK

I don't know the history of his childhood. But if he had a rotten childhood, I'd feel bad for him, yet never condone his actions. There's always more than what's on the surface.

------------------

I don't know the history of his childhood. But if he had a rotten childhood, I'd feel bad for him, yet never condone his actions. There's always more than what's on the surface.

Well, if he had a horrible childhood then I feel sorry for him too, but in my opinion he has to be held accountable for his actions here, regardless. And I don't think 3 or 4 years is enough prison time.

Actually, the more pertinent issue for me is the increase of incidents in youth sports where parents are getting violent 'cause they don't like the fact that their kid is sitting on the bench, and things of that sort.

Frankly, because I've read enough of these types of stories lately, my first instinct is that this guy is another who falls in to the "moron sports parent" category -- that's how I'm judging him.

I could be wrong but I'm just going by what I've read in the published accounts of this story, which are admittedly somewhat brief.

Argh-this case is so upsetting to me I don't think I can put it into words. In my opinion, this guy is the sort of guy who 'speaks with his fists' and always has to have the last word. His 'macho ego' was threatened-and it became about that and not the checking in the game or whatever.

He went back into that rink to 'have the last word' with Mr. Costin-and NOTHING he did justified Junta's actions. If anyone saw the pictures of the bruised female employeee of the rink-the woman who tried to stop him-that is evidence of his intent in my opinion. Nothing and no one was going to stop him. A 270 lb. man attacked a 150 lb man and claimed he 'couldn't escape' from him-huh? He 'escaped' when he left the rink-and he never should have gone back in. I sincerely hope he regrets it every waking moment.

He now faces only 3-6 years, as opposed to 6-12. I would like to know how he lives w/ this-and how he lives w/ the fact that he beat a man to death w/ his fists in front of his sons-and in front of Mr. Costin's sons.

I feel sorry for his kids having a father who was capable of such a thing. But my sympathy truly goes out to Mr. Costin's children. Two witnessed their father being beaten to death. One actually climbed into his father's casket at the wake he was so overcome with grief.

I guess I'm just very sympathetic for murderers. Yes, I know that sounds fucked up. But the way I look at it, there is something that caused them to be that way. Yes, they are responsible for the decisions they make. But what happened in their childhood? What influenced them to make a bad choice?

I sort of agree. Yet I remember the case in Texas a couple of years ago where a woman who had been repeatedly horribly abused by her husband was put to death for killing him. And this guy only gets 3-6 years? I mean, I think the sentences in both of those cases were fucked up. That poor woman felt she had no other out but to kill her abuser and she was put to death for it. This guy gets off easier than he should for killing someone in a fit of rage. 3-6 years is nothing for killing someone, when you could get life in prison for a 3rd offense of smoking pot (someone correct me on that one if I'm wrong...)

All I have to say is that its a shame it had to come to this, but it was an eventuality. Time and time again, hockey moms and dads get aggressive and lose sight that the child only wants to have fun. They force their kids into things with the dream of having them become the next Wayne Gretzky, but lets face it, its not going to happen. They blame absolutely everyone they can, it does them no good, and they continue to whine and bitch, throw pop bottles at referees, argue with other moms and dads. Something had to break. Maybe thisll teach them to shut the hell up, teach them that kids are trying to have fun playing hockey, not at the age of 6 or 10 that theyre going to become the best in the world, its too much pressure and its too infeasable. If theyd just give the kids space, let the referees do their jobs, and give the coaches a little credit, then there wouldnt be such problems, but everyone is all hung up over how well they want their kid to do regardless of the fact how much they suck.

Originally posted by Jayhawk:
People should be held accountable for all their actions. We should never make ANY excuses for one man killing another.

Well don't you think that's kind of a narrow minded way to look at it?

Some people have mental disorders and have no control over their actions. Should they really be held accountable? Yes, they committed a crime. But if they had no idea what they were doing, how can we condemn them?

------------------

Honestly?

I think he only needs a few years. Why? He's not a threat to society, and I'm sure he'll learn his lesson very quickly. He never showed an intent to murder, and, while his actions are reckless and reprehensible that a manslaughter conviction is appropriate, anything more than that would be wasting space in already crowded prisons.

The prison system should be about rehabilitation, rather than revenge and punishment. Of course, that is often easier said than done, but this man in question should be fairly easy to rehabilitate.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:

The prison system should be about rehabilitation, rather than revenge and punishment.

------------------

Originally posted by melon:

The prison system should be about rehabilitation, rather than revenge and punishment.

Some people do not deserve rehabilitation. Some people are always going to be a threat to society or themselves. Prison should not be a cake walk, it is a punishment. Otherwise we would just have "rehab centers" for criminals.

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
Some people do not deserve rehabilitation. Some people are always going to be a threat to society or themselves. Prison should not be a cake walk, it is a punishment. Otherwise we would just have "rehab centers" for criminals.

Brilliant.
rolleyes.gif

"Some people" are always going to be a threat. The hockey dad is not, and there is no indication that he will be.

And I don't know what delusion you're under, but I think that five years-1826 days in jail--is not a "cake walk." It is a long time.

And honestly? I think that we do need "rehab centers" for criminals. The current "punishment" system just keeps the cycle of violence and dependence going, and with the current prison overcrowding problem, we should keep prisons open for the people who really do deserve prolonged sentences.

Melon

------------------
~whortense wiffin
walla walla, washington

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:

You couldn't be anymore wrong! Anyone should be able to be fixed! And who said rehab is a cake walk? Maybe if all we had was "rehab centers" for criminals, we wouldn't have so many repeat offenders.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom