Hinduism v. Christianity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
I'd like to discuss is the way Hinduism and Christianity view our duties to do good work during our lives. All my information is taken from Oxtoby's World Religions, either Volume 1 or 2, on Eastern and Western traditions, respectively.

In Hinduism it is believed that the 3 ways to liberation from the cycles of samsara (rebirths/reincarnations) are the way of action, the way of knowledge, and the way of devotion.

The way of action is called karma yoga, and it entails "the path of unselfish action; one must do one's duty, but it should not be done either for fear of punishment or hope of reward. We must do good works because it is "correct to do so", and because "acting with the expectation of future reward leads to bondage and unhappiness."

In Christianity however, more emphasis is put on doing good works so that we may liberate our souls and enter the kingdom of God. In that sense, this opposes the Hindu view, because Christians are promised salvation in exchange for living pious lives and for performing charitable acts on behalf of the less fortunate. Certainly, some mendicant orders, like the Carmelites believe they must "surmount worldly and physical desires," but to ordinary Christians, the performance of good works and proper moral upbringing is more strongly emphasized.

Though I am Christian (RC), I actually prefer the Hindu view. I believe it is a much stroger supporter of altruism, of selfless acts. In a way, I think that maybe this is what true liberation is - the ability to act in the right way because it is right to do so, not because we must do so in order not to live out a fiery hell with Lucifer. In the Hindu tradition, you are not acting in hope of reward, but out of a sense of duty to fellow human beings. I think there is a good lesson to be learned about unity and brotherhood, emphasized in Hinduism.

Any thoughts, opinions, opposing views are quite welcome, though I'd like to keep it to just this topic, as the 2 religions mentioned are so vast that if we stray, we could be here forever.
smile.gif

------------------
o lijepa
o draga
o slatka
slobodo

Primarily, I don't likie this idea of placing religions in the middle of a boxing ring and comparing; all religions are equal, since they all have the same goal. Yours is the notion that Christianity contradicts the Hindu doctrine; I see no such contradiction.

WHere you have the three cycles of samsara, in Christianity you only have one; in essence, you have all the three combined into one. You stated how 'good works' are needed, well, this is done through the exact same ways and thoughts that Hinduism proposes; there IS no difference between the two.

Oh, sure, there is a difference on how people have interpreted the religions, but that is always subject to humans screwing everything up. In the same way that you get the occasional 'god-fearing' and 'self-righteous' Roman Catholic that preaches God's work like the highway code, you get the occasional Hindu who is obsessed with tradition, and takes the call of duty too far. Arranged marriages and gay prejeduice, they are all the ugly stems of religious interpetation.

At the core of religion, though, there is the need and the longing for God and liberation, I do not think that one is more effective, and in that sense 'better' than the other.

All religions are the same, and saying that one will take us more closer to God because it has a better understanding is really a very inaccurate comment to make. I can not stand it when, as an example, I lived in Kuwait for a about seven years, and we were forced to take up satellite tv because we couldnt stand national television, it was so irritatingly patronising. They would put on shows that presented American women who had converted to Islam, saying how Islam was this and Islam was that. Now, take a moment to think about that; they were promoting Islam in a way that made people admit to being part of an inferior religion. ie - christianity. All I can say is, when people start talking about why their religion is better than another religion in this way or that, I turn the other way and place my attention on something that is worthwhile.

You mentioned tradition loads of times, well, just as there are loads of stupid christian traditions, there is an incredible amount of stupid Hindu traditions as well. Traditions have nothing to do with the core of the religion, and the core of every religion is the same; God.

Ultimately, nothing takes us to God, except us. Oh sure, there is so much talk about how Jesus will take us, how everything lights up the path for us, but it all depends on the strength of the human spirit and mind; not the doctrines of outdated texts and 'cycles of samsara'.

Its all very well to compare religions, but what are you really comparing? Comparing the essences of religions is like touching God's head with one hand and touching God's feet with the other, and thinking which one you like best.

I am very touchy about this subject, because this is exactly the reason why Religion is such a problem these days, people think that one religion is 'better' than others, and that is not true. The same way I will not acccept a Muslim telling me how my way is wrong, I wont accept a Catholic telling me that my way is wrong either (as most of my family did). I was raised as a strict Roman Catholic, but around the age of fifteen I turned to my mother and grandparents and told them all that, basically, their doctrine made me feel filthy and wrong, when all the time it was THEIR interpretation that was filthy and wrong. Since then I have been without religion; I practice Yoga and I believe in a God that is not attached to any particular religion. In fact, the best quote I have concerning religion and mankind is a quote by the playwright Bernard Shaw;

'Beware of the man whose God dwells in the sky'.

Indeed, the God I believe in does not share our values or our ways, since IT (I will not call it 'him', I find it very amusing to attach genders to God) has to be quite logically beyond it. I am not saying that religion is bad, I do believe that religion can take people to God, but I have a strong objection to people promoting one religion as better than the other.

Anitram, you argue that Hinduism has three ways, well, I bet the Christian belief also has the path of action, knowledge and devotion, only that they are not given separate categories.

Ant.

Anitram:

I agree that the Hindu concept is indeed admirable, but I try to follow it based on my own Christian belief. I guess that I do not strictly follow your interpretation of because Christians are promised salvation in exchange for living pious lives and for performing charitable acts on behalf of the less fortunate. See, Christ told us to help and love others and treat them well "as it is right with God," like the Hindu belief that "it is correct thing to do so." I am not so fearful of damnation from failing to do enought good works as I am from rejecting Him (and I know this may conflict with formal Catholic doctrine - I am Methodist) but I do think that good works should be encouraged within Christianity (and any religion for that matter).

~U2Alabama

I do not know about Hinduism, but i know that your source couldn't be more wrong about Christianity. Christianity is not about doing good works in order to gain acceptance into the kingdom of God. A reading of the New Testament makes this plain. Good works will not get you into Heaven. Only beliefe in the saving grace of Christ Jesus will do that. Good works from a Christian come about as a result of the Holy Spirit living/working through the person.

To add to what 80s and Bama said:

The first and primary demand that Christ makes of his followers is that they humbly confess and repent of their sinfulness. Deep down, we're all fundamentally sinful, flawed, broken people, and before we can make any progress in life we need to recognize this fact.

Oh you've hit one of the largest rifts in Christianity: faith vs. good works. It's as different as apples and oranges, or, pretty much, Catholicism and Protestantism.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

The one thing that separates Christianity from the rest is grace.

"I believe in grace over karma." I think was what one of the members from U2 said.
wink.gif

Hrrr, why do I always feel a heaviness when reading threads about religion?

Say you really respect someone, a mentor at work/school perhaps. It's natural then for you to want to imitate that person or do things that please them. In the same way, Christians do good works out of love for Christ, not out of fear of Hell.

foray

------------------
the only thing I know is that I know nothing

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Christianity is not about doing good works in order to gain acceptance into the kingdom of God. A reading of the New Testament makes this plain. Good works will not get you into Heaven. Only beliefe in the saving grace of Christ Jesus will do that. Good works from a Christian come about as a result of the Holy Spirit living/working through the person.

So, If I believe in Jesus and kill 6000 ppl just because i was having a bad day i will get into heaven?
Sorry, i didnt get it. I mean. I believe in Allah and his messenger Muhammad, and I got to the mosque and pray 5 times a day, and fast during Ramadam, and I got up today and killed all my family 'cos I was just mad with them...will just my belief gonna get me into heaven? I dont think so. Actions are the most important thing. I believe there are a LOT of atheist ppl who will get into heaven easier than many of us, believers.

But Hinduism says that every religion is worthy as long as you respect it and follow it as it is ment to be (And i think I believe it, and that's why i dont call myself muslim even though my beliefs). Christianism says that they are the only way...another good diference..

Love and peace on earth!

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-

[This message has been edited by Patti Jones (edited 10-26-2001).]

Christianity is not about doing good works in order to gain acceptance into the kingdom of God. A reading of the New Testament makes this plain. Good works will not get you into Heaven. Only beliefe in the saving grace of Christ Jesus will do that.

And will you go to Hell if you don't? Just asking so I have an excuse to paste the following anecdote:
We're all going to Hell...

The following is an (alleged) actual question given on University of Washington chemistry mid term. The answer was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:
1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year, " ... that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true.

Thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

Just some useless OT.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 10-26-2001).]

Originally posted by Patti Jones:
So, If I believe in Jesus and kill 6000 ppl just because i was having a bad day i will get into heaven?
Sorry, i didnt get it. I mean. I believe in Allah and his messenger Muhammad, and I got to the mosque and pray 5 times a day, and fast during Ramadam, and I got up today and killed all my family 'cos I was just mad with them...will just my belief gonna get me into heaven?

When Jesus was tempted by Satan in Matthew 4:1-11, an issue such as this was put forward, Satan asking Jesus to throw himself down from the highest point of the temple, for surely the angels would catch him...'Do not put the Lord your God to the test' was the reply- the point being that anyone with common sense would not do such a thing, or anything stupid like it, eg the example u stated...I believe God trusts us to use common sense, and if we dont we will not be exempt from the consequences...

Sorry, i didnt get it. I mean. I believe in Allah and his messenger Muhammad, and I got to the mosque and pray 5 times a day, and fast during Ramadam, and I got up today and killed all my family 'cos I was just mad with them...will just my belief gonna get me into heaven? I dont think so. Actions are the most important thing. I believe there are a LOT of atheist ppl who will get into heaven easier than many of us, believers.

Patti, this post is so stupid it hurts. It proves you're only here to inflame! 80s was only commenting on good works not being the key to Heaven. He didn't say anything about the path that evil deeds will put you on.

Yes, it is possible for a lifelong murderer to undergo a deathbed conversion and be saved. I don't think it happens too often, but it's possible. And you can feel safe knowing that when you meet this person in heaven, he won't be the same person he was on earth.

When Stephen was being executed, what were his last thoughts of his accusers? "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." (Acts 7:60)

But Hinduism says that every religion is worthy as long as you respect it and follow it as it is ment to be

This sentiment, which many people feel is true, is really quite vacuous unless you define the class of "true religions". And I'm pretty sure that the cult of speedracer worship doesn't fall into that class.

Christianism says that they are the only way...another good diference..
If you are a true Christian, you will not kill 6000 ppl, because a true Christian has the Holy Spirit living in them. A true Christian will still sin, because he listens to the lies of the devil, but a Christian would never late hate take over to the extennt of which you speak, because of the Holy Spirit. A lot of people say they believe but tney believe it as a fact of history, in their mind. They never really committed to it in their hearts and are thus not new creations.
Now, if you kill 6000 ppl and then realize you need a Savior and repent of your sin and truly accept Christ as your Savior? Yes, I believe you will be saved.
Christianity does indeed make claims to be the only way, that's because Christ said "I am the Way, the Truth, the Life; no man comes to the Father but by me". He says it, that's good enough for me. And if you think about it, if Christianity is true, then the others MUST be false, because how can things that are total opposites both be true, especially when one or more (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) claim to be the only way?

But Hinduism says that every religion is worthy as long as you respect it and follow it as it is ment to be (And i think I believe it, and that's why i dont call myself muslim even though my beliefs). Christianism says that they are the only way...another good diference..

Love and peace on earth!

Patti, the difference between a true Christian and a fanatical religious zealot is that it is a Christian's goal to "be" like Jesus for in doing so, it brings him/her closer to God. Jesus above all the goodness and grace, was compassionate. All the good Christians I know are compassionate to their own faults and strive to change them not merely out of faith or fear of eternal damnation, but because being without sin brings them closer to their Savior. It is a Christian's duty to spread the Gospel - not only because they see this deed as "good" in the eyes of God, but because they are compassionate about the fate of theirs and other people's souls. The good and dutiful Christian does not try to convert another person by using fear tactics, they try to achieve their goals by being compassionate and understanding that through a person's life on earth, they are subject to giving into sin... and salvation through Christ will help that person achieve grace, goodness, and compassion... just as Jesus. A good Christian follows the duties of Christ and should not pass judgment on another person - for in Christ's eyes everyone from the prostitute to the most devout deserves a seat in heaven should that person find salvation through Christ.

That being said, a good Christian knows that killing another human is wrong, regardless of the cause. It was not Jesus' intention to divide people on account of faith, and it certainly wasn't His intention for blood to be shed over religious faith. It was His intention to unify people on the basis that human beings are capable of sin therefore they must seek compassion, grace, and overall goodness through God. Surely, these thingsd cannot be achieved if someone kills in the name of religious cause, or if someone is having a bad day and decides to fly a plane into a building on the grounds that it is justified because it coincides with his beliefs.

As far as Christianity claiming that it is the only "way" well, every religious follower feels his "way" is the way to salvation. The Christians, the Jews, the Hindus, the Buddhists, the Muslims, etc. all feel their "way" is right and just and brings them closer to God.

I know there may be flaws with my statements about Christianity mainly because I don't follow that faith, but I'm going on what I've learned from other Christians and my Christian friends.

I do not know about Hinduism, but i know that your source couldn't be more wrong about Christianity. Christianity is not about doing good works in order to gain acceptance into the kingdom of God. A reading of the New Testament makes this plain. Good works will not get you into Heaven. Only beliefe in the saving grace of Christ Jesus will do that. Good works from a Christian come about as a result of the Holy Spirit living/working through the person.

Let me add another thought on the whole "good works" debate.

Obviously they are good, but what becomes of the person who strives to do good works to enter Heaven but does not cultivate an inner spirit of humility and repentance for sin?

At best, such a person becomes frustrated and torn between the standards he sets for himself and his inevitable lapses into sin.

At worst, such a person can become cynical, jaded, self-righteous, judgmental of others, a person who seeks recognition for his acts and becomes angry when it doesn't come. Outwardly he can seem like a hero, but inside his heart is hardened and cold.

At the very worst, such a person can become an authoritarian figure, someone who oppresses others who fail to live up to impossible standards. Anyone who has played Ultima V (the greatest computer game ever, BTW) knows what I'm talking about.

Basically, you won't get into Heaven by piling up credentials--even if it were possible, your resume would never be good enough, and it would be marred by all your failures. We're all the worst of sinners.

Repent of your sinfulness, follow Christ, and trust that He will lead you "home". Walk on.

I think this post completely explains what I've said all along. I don't know if I can speak for Hinduism, as I do not know enough about it, but regarding Christianity, you cannot just generalize it and lump it in one category.

Right now, the Christian responses I'm getting are a mix of the ideologies of Martin Luther (faith for salvation, but good works are a natural extension of faith) and John Calvin ("We're all the worst of sinners") here. It's okay, I'm not condemning anyone for their honest beliefs here, but my point is is that it's a misnomer to believe that Christians all think alike.

As for the quote on Christianity from Oxtoby's "World Religions," I would say it's not far off. The official line, of course, is that it is faith that saves (at least in Protestantism, and, more complicatedly, in Catholicism). But we've all heard the evangelists. On one hand, we hear the necessity of faith, but then we hear how we much change our "sinful ways," whereupon the evangelist begins bashing liberalism. Henceforth, isn't that saying that "good works" are necessary? Of course, to cover their tracks, the evangelists usually assume all these "liberals" are atheists or other non-Christians, but that's an equally unbased generalization. So, even though the official line is that faith is the only thing that saves, there is still a larger emphasis on good works. And you may not like that, but that's how Christianity paradoxically presents itself.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
So, even though the official line is that faith is the only thing that saves, there is still a larger emphasis on good works. And you may not like that, but that's how Christianity paradoxically presents itself.
Melon
That's a good point, Melon, and it is very true. We always say it's about grace, but then we knock ourselves out striving to be perfect, which our flesh won't be until we are united with Jesus. That leads to a miserable life of trying-failing-trying-failing. It's like a roller coaster. I will spare you having to read my testimony, but the basic jist is that for years, I lived under the law of works, until I realized I would be more effective if I gave it up to God and let Him live through me.

Read my newest "blood....boiling....angry..." post just to show you more of what I mean about this paradoxical emphasis on good works. I'm almost ashamed to be a Christian at times.

Melon

------------------

I lived under the law of works, until I realized I would be more effective if I gave it up to God and let Him live through me.

Basically, stop trying so hard is what you're saying? I pretty much agree with that. I think those with faith and a good conscience will do fine, because, it's true. We aren't perfect, and never will be no matter how hard we try. Some equate imperfection with sinfulness, but I only see it as our intended design; that one, no matter how hard they try, cannot live without God.

BTW, to add to the Catholic complication, the Pope once proclaimed off-hand back around 1998 that it is faith alone that saves, but he never really said it officially, so that only complicates the mess. I'm more with Martin Luther on this now personally, but I've been that way for a while now. I'm still very much Catholic than Protestant, though, overall.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
Basically, stop trying so hard is what you're saying? I pretty much agree with that. I think those with faith and a good conscience will do fine, because, it's true. that one, no matter how hard they try, cannot live without God.

I'm more with Martin Luther on this now personally,
Yeep, I think that people set these standards for themselves and set them selves up for a fall when they inevitably fail. And when we try to do things on our own, we will ultimately fail - somewhere down the line. I think that probably many people have committed suicide because they failed in trying to live up to some "good works" standard that Jesus didn't set for them in teh first place. If we would have been able to be "good", he wouldn't have had to die on the cross. Now, that doesn't mean that you or I think that because someone's a Christian, he/she can do any sin they want. I think that you are right in that if a person has faith in Jesus, he will want to be in God's will. But thank The Lord we have His Holy Spirit to work through us! That's the power key!

I think that probably many people have committed suicide because they failed in trying to live up to some "good works" standard that Jesus didn't set for them in teh first place.

80s, I agree with you on a lot of points, but not this one.
wink.gif
First of all, I think that "many" people is relative. Secondly, many anthropologists, and especially sociologists (most notably Emile Durkheim, the "father of modern sociology") have written series of very convincing articles and books concerning suicide. Much of the thinking debunks the idea that suicide is an inherently individual act. One way Durkheim opposed this is by studying people in different societies/countries/socio-economic backgrounds, and found that suicide rates were vastly different, thus indicating that social factors may be primary determinants in the committing of suicide. That's why I don't really agree that "many" people killed themselves because they couldn't measure up to some arbitrary "good works" system.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Yours is the notion that Christianity contradicts the Hindu doctrine; I see no such contradiction.
Ant.

I have no such "notion". I refer to two respected volumes on world religions to inspire debate. I told you which books it came from, so I didn't present my biased opinions or state there are "contradictions."

Christianity is not about doing good works in order to gain acceptance into the kingdom of God. A reading of the New Testament makes this plain. Good works will not get you into Heaven. Only beliefe in the saving grace of Christ Jesus will do that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Popmartijn
And will you go to Hell if you don't?
---------------------------------------------

Now, back to 8osU2isBest:

I know that this questions was really posted as a segue into that funny story (I like dit, by the way), and not really intended to receive an answer, and in the past, I wouldn't have answered this question, because I didn't want to appear judgmental. But now I feel that I need to respond, regardless of what opinions people will form of me because of this. The answer is not popular in tis day and time. Yes, according to the Bible, ultimate rejection of Jesus Christ will send you to hell. What do I mean by "ultimate rejection"? I mean that when it's all over and it's time to be judged, if you have had one or more opportunity to accept Christ, and you have understood the message of Christ and have said in your heart that you do not need Him or believe in His act of grace, then God will find no place for you in His kingdom. And folks, this isn't God's fault...it's ours. We've been told by his word what we need to do. And it's not as if he's saying "I don't want to let you in today, because I have something against you personally. Buh-bye!" Nope, he sadly says "I never knew you". You see, unforgiven sinners can't be let into Heaven because they still have the mark of sin on their lives. It hasn't been washed away by the blood of Jesus. Because of God's holiness, he can't even look upon sin. That is the reason that God "turned away" from Jesus when he was on the cross...because at that moment the sins of the world were cast upon Jesus (not that He sinned, but that He was paying the price, so he Had to take those sins to the grave with Him). People think God sends people to hell. It's actually more that we are destined to hell from our very first "knowing" sin, and in an act of grace, Christ died to give us the opportunity to escape that etrenity. Now what about babies, or children, or people who have never heard, or people who can't understand? I believe that babies and children get an automatic ticket to Heaven, because they are not aware of their sin - they don't know right from wrong. I think the same goes for the mentally retarded who can't understand the gospel of Christ and/or don't know right from wrong. As for people who have not the true gospel of Christ presented to them, or never the opportunity to accept Christ? I don't believe they will automatically go to hell. But I also don't believe they will get an automatic ticket to Heaven. The Bible says that these people have God's law of love written on their hearts. So, while they may not know the name "Jesus", God has somehow given to them a sort of "inner knowledge" of His love and mercy and His holy nature". I believe they are then judged on how they deal with what they do know.

Back
Top Bottom