Higher tuition in universities, yet fewer jobs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
Shouldn't an education cost less during times of economic hardship? It would seem logical to charge less when the odds of landing a job based on your investment were lower than in the past, but that's just me.

As a person who's bent on getting back into school, I find these numbers slightly intimidating.

Please read and post your thoughts...;)

"College tuition keeps going up and up"

by Tim Hyland
Staff of Business Week:

College tuition increased an average of $579, or 14 percent, at four-year public institutions and $1,114, or about 6 percent, at four-year private colleges during the 2003-2004 school year, according to a report released Tuesday.

Tuition and fees at four-year colleges and universities now averages $4,694 per year for an in-state student and costs per year at private colleges are now $19,710, according to the report from the College Board.

Tuition and fees at two-year public colleges increased 13.8 percent this year and now average $1,905 per year.

In the 10-year period ending in 2003-2004, the average tuition increased 47 percent -- about $1,500 -- at four-year public colleges and 42 percent -- nearly $6,000 -- at private colleges. Those 10-year increase figures are actually lower than the preceding decade, when public colleges saw increases of 54 percent and private colleges increased tuition 50 percent.

Students attending schools in the University of Maryland System, which includes Towson University, University of Maryland, Baltimore County and the University of Maryland flagship in College Park, have seen tuition rise more than 30 percent over the past two years.

Officials with the College Board said data shows tuition at public colleges rises more quickly when state funding slows or is decreased.

"Education leaders must be able to make persuasive cases to governors and legislators on the importance of reasonable and predictable levels of state support," College Board President Gaston Caperton said. "Levels of state funding have dipped to a dangerously low point in recent years. Campus leaders and their institutions of higher learning must, at all times, be deserving of public trust and public dollars."

Though tuition continues to increase rapidly, the report also found a record $105 million was distributed in financial aid in 2002-2003, an increase of $13 million from the previous year. College board officials said the increase helps the average undergraduate student pay significantly less in tuition than the published tuition figure.

When open slots at universities exceed the number of potential students, prices will fall. There is nothing to deter a university from raising its tuition.

I don't know how you people in the US afford to go to school. You either have to put up with exorbitant loans, or it's the same families getting educated over and over again.

That's just plain strange to me. The idea that a student in the EU can go to Oxford for far less money than some school in Bumfuck, Indiana is beyond me, so I must be missing something.

You can say that again...

The reason tuition is shooting up is because of cuts to higher education funding. So to maintain any kind of quality education, tutition has to go up.

My college (a city college, basically the cheapest one with any reputation I could get) has been hacked to the bone. Tutition is going to be raised--I was one of the few students who supported a 10% rather than the majority who voted for a 5%.

And yet, this semester we don't get printed schedules, bills, registration cards, anything...it's all on-line. Library hours were slashed, and we have to pay to print anything up in there--15 cents a page, no less. Scholarships and financial aid were reduced. (My scholarship was restored, but it's not certain for how long.) Departments--including our international studies program--were closed, re-routed. The place is a mess.

There's only 2 cleaning people for the entire campus--which actually consists of 3 colleges.

So, my raised tutition is not really going to maintain the level I'm used too, except by keeping our professors--who are very good and chose to come to our college rather than CU, because the students are not rich, drunken frat kids. So, while I was for it, I'm wondering where the hell it is going. (Meanwhile, they've built a new parking lot and are "restoring" our Victorian student union...)

It's very depressing. :( Blame your tax cuts!

You think its bad down there. In Alberta, Canada the gov't is trying to ban Student Unions in all post-secondary schools!!

My tution is fairly resonalbe, but like someone else said. How the fuck can you afford to go to school for 20,000US a year! Thats crazy, i pay maybe 3,000CDN a year.

To be fair, it's MUCH easier to get scholarships, fellowships, grants, and other forms of aid in the US than it is in the UK, at least.

Tuition in UK schools is negligible when compared to US schools.

Look at it this way: as a foreigner, it would be cheaper for me to go to Oxford University or Cambridge than it would be for an American to go to a place like Harvard or Yale. I think that's simply unreal.

bonoman, you are lucky in Alberta. My undergrad at UofT cost me twice as much as yours, if we are talking about tuition alone.

anitram said:
Tuition in UK schools is negligible when compared to US schools.

True, but my point is that most American students at private schools have a good portion of their tuition covered by financial aid other than loans.

Back
Top Bottom