highah powah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
Ok, so that's how they say it here in new hampshire at AA meetings...(no, I'm not in AA, I just know these things
wink.gif
)

Do you believe in a higher power, a god, gods, or God (capital G), and if so, why?

I struggle w/ this. I hate religion. I absolutely hate the concept of religion and everything it promotes, but I understand why it exists. I understand that people search for that answer of why we exist, what does it all mean, and religion offers an answer to that, and I respect that. But I hate religion for a lot of reasons.

But even though I hate religion, I still feel that there is something bigger than me out there. I mean, although I believe in evolution and the big bang theory, I can't except the idea that it just "happened". I can't except the idea that when I die, that's it. I'm done.

Maybe it's just human nature to want an answer to the unanswerable, but I can't help thinking that there is a higher power out there. Whether it is a god, or gods, or just a "force" that controls nature, I have to admit that I feel something.

I guess I'm just curious to hear what people have to say on this subject. Why do you believe what you believe. How did it happen, and why do you continue, or not continue, to believe it.

I don't want a religion lesson...I just want to hear what's in your heart.

Inspire me.

------------------
All is quiet on New Year's Day
Think I'll try and impress my mates
So I jumped into the lake
I won't do that again
Here we go again - A

IM me at popkidu2

I hope not to sound too cliche here.

I was brought up in the United Methodist Church and still attend as it is the most comfortable doctrine for me, and the most agreeable I have ever experienced.

As I have grown older, my faith has grown stronger, through study, investigation and experience. But it is not something for which I can put a physical piece of scientific evidence in front of you.

And I concede that what I believe is indeed quite radical. I even believe in the virgin birth of Christ and His physical resurection from the dead, because He was God's Son. But to me, THAT is where the faith part comes in; people may say that faith is a shallow and meaningless word, but it has done so much for me in my life that I know that is not true. It means everything to me.

I think everyone, myself included, is too quick to pass off modern miracles as mere coincidence, so I am not deist; I think that God is involved in our world and lives on a daily basis, in fact, every minute of every day.

I hope this doesn't come across as rhetoric or a religion lesson; it just happens to be what I truly believe in my heart.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 08-23-2001).]

nah...nothin's cliche here...

thanks for sharing bro
smile.gif

------------------
All is quiet on New Year's Day
Think I'll try and impress my mates
So I jumped into the lake
I won't do that again
Here we go again - A

IM me at popkidu2

Faith and religion are two different things. Faith is what's in your heart. Religion is man's way of codifying, categorizing what that faith is.

God is everywhere. If you look for Him in your life, He's easy to see.

Nothing happens by chance or coincidence; God is working.

There's more, but I'd rather not get into it here.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

I have always seen religion as a corruptive force, that has sometimes, and still is, responsible for some of the most brutal acts in history. However, I do believe in a higher power... everything is God, and anything that isn't is just bullshit.

Ant.

Originally posted by Anthony:
However, I do believe in a higher power... everything is God, and anything that isn't is just bullshit.
Ant.
I'm not God. And you're not God. And neither of us are bullshit.

"I'm not God. And you're not God. And neither of us are bullshit."

Well, I'll agree that neither of us are bullshit, but we are all born out of God and made in its image; in essence we are all one with it in existence and are fragments of God. What I meant to say was that everything is God, and nothing exists that is not God.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom