High Schoolers Name Most Famous Americans In History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali on this list before Marilynn and Oprah.

Axver said:
Given the US's fairly unique position in world affairs currently, it would be interesting to see an international equivalent of this list.

Do you mean, international high school students naming the most famous Americans in history, or a list of the most famous people in history with no regard to nationality?

namkcuR said:
Do you mean, international high school students naming the most famous Americans in history, or a list of the most famous people in history with no regard to nationality?

The former, though perhaps Presidents should be included.

Axver said:

The former, though perhaps Presidents should be included.

I don't think the difference between the lists would be too huge. Now, ask American high school students to name the most famous non-Americans in history...that would be interesting(and not in a good way).

namkcuR said:

I don't think the difference between the lists would be too huge. Now, ask American high school students to name the most famous non-Americans in history...that would be interesting(and not in a good way).

1. David Beckham
2. Paris Hilton (She's French, right?)
3. Tina Turner
4. Oskar Schindler
5. Keira Knightley
6. James Bond
7. Chris Martin
8. Wyclef Jean
9. Detlef Schrempf
10. House MD

No spoken words said:

1. David Beckham
3. Tina Turner
4. Oskar Schindler
5. Keira Knightley
6. James Bond
7. Chris Martin
8. Wyclef Jean
9. Detlef Schrempf
10. House MD

:lol:

No spoken words said:
1. David Beckham
3. Tina Turner
4. Oskar Schindler
5. Keira Knightley
6. James Bond
7. Chris Martin
8. Wyclef Jean
9. Detlef Schrempf
10. House MD

:lmao:

Where are the Spice Girls?

No spoken words said:

#9 was for you. Could have rolled with Nocioni, but, Schrempf is a legend, albeit not a Bulls' legend.

Schrempf :up:

Ever notice he kind of looks like French Stewart?

namkcuR said:

Schrempf :up:

Ever notice he kind of looks like French Stewart?

I never did, cos I was too bedazzled by his nightly boxscores (seriously, he filled up a stat sheet nicely, was a great Fantasy B-Ball player) to really gaze at his visage.

I have to say that I found the original post heartening. I am sure any and all of us could nitpick a few choices, but overall, it was a hell of a lot better than I anticipated when I first opened the thread.

the iron horse said:

The survey does not surprize me. I teach 7th grade language arts in a middle school and most of my students have no clue on American history or the people who helped shape it.

Politcal Correctness, within the schools, has bashed history in America.

:huh: Has "bashed history in America"? Oh, please explain this one...

I loved "Lies My Teacher Told Me." I thought it was an excellent analysis on the problems of history in schools.

So the people on that list, other than Marilyn and Oprah, had no role in shaping American history and are there strictly due to political correctness? I don't think teachers should be endorsing such an idea, sorry.

Dreadsox said:
I am rather excited to see Edison on the list. Amelia Earhart? I am not sure she belongs in the ranks of Rosa, Susan, Harriet....

I am surprised that Elenor Roosevelt is not on there. Clara Barton would have made the list before Amelia in my book. Abilgail Adams??????? Helen Keller?

what about Molly Pitcher!?!?!

:sad:

that's my favorite rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.

phillyfan26 said:
I loved "Lies My Teacher Told Me." I thought it was an excellent analysis on the problems of history in schools.

An EXCELLENT book!!!!

Irvine511 said:

what about Molly Pitcher!?!?!

:sad:

that's my favorite rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.

I have stayed at the Molly Pitcher inn.

I would put Deborah Samson on the list ahead of Molly. But Deborah was known to, shall we say, embellish.

:O)

Back
Top Bottom