Help Needed......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
Okay so I am taking a Religions course right now and I was assigned to write a paper about a Non Christian Religious Service. I choose to write about Judaism. My problem is this my book states that the Jewish religious service is Shabbat but then all the websites I have gone to say that Shabbat is a holiday. I am really confused.

Maybe I'm saying this because I work in a library, but if I were you I'd go to the library, and then believe it or not I'm actually going to recommend that you check the children's non-fiction department for basic books about Judaism. You won't waste a second of your time. You'll get enough information really quickly.

That's actually one of the best ideas I have heard. I am basically taking anything I can get because this paper is to be emailed the professor by 11:55pm TONIGHT!! ;) Thanks.

I thought that would help--folks, if you ever need historical/social/religious type of info really quickly, check out the children's non-fiction department at the local library. I tell all of my adult friends this and they find it very helpful. It's very no-nonsense stuff and you won't waste a second of your precious time.

verte, good call! That's sound advice!

sharky, also a good recommendation to call a temple and speak to a rabbi.

The Friday night/Saturday morning shabbat is weekly - it is not an annual holiday like Yom Kippur, but a weekly holiday that's considered to be just as important, if not moreso than the annual holidays as Jews are commanded to observe the Shabbat weekly - it is a day of rest but also of remembrance and observance. Shabbat is a lot like the Christian Sabbath - it is a day of rest but not always a day of constant ritual and prayer. I think it would largely depend on what kind of Jew you are - reform, orthodox, conservative, etc.

Here's a pretty helpful site broken down in basic layman's terms:

http://www.jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm

Best of luck with your paper!!

adamswildhoney said:
That's actually one of the best ideas I have heard. I am basically taking anything I can get because this paper is to be emailed the professor by 11:55pm TONIGHT!! ;) Thanks.

You sound a lot like me when I was in college -- procrastnator deluxe! :D

sharky said:
If you still have a chance, I would recommend calling a temple and talking to a rabbi.
I suggest this as well, or if you know anyone who's Jewish, they might be able to help.

indra said:

You sound a lot like me when I was in college -- procrastnator deluxe! :D

That's me alright. I got it done in time so thanks everyone for your suggestions. I found out that my friend John did the same thing when he was in college FOR THE SAME CLASS!! HAHAHA.

Back
Top Bottom