Hedging you bets...will they lose control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will the Republicans lose the House and/or Senate or retain 1 or both?

• The GOP will retain the Senate and the House

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • The GOP will lose the House only, but keep the Senate

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • The GOP will lose both the House and Senate and the Democrats will anoint Queen Nancy as speaker

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I have no clue of what you are polling of diamondbruno9, nor do I give a frog's fat a**!

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • diamondbruno, are you smoking crack again?

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
It's 3 weeks away.
What is your call on the upcoming mid term elections?

Will the Republicans lose the House?
Will they lose the Senate?

State your prediction now, or shut your mouth:sexywink:

Cast your vote, and please explain your choice.

And please stop looking to me to always be the one to post the cleverest and most thought provoking threads of FYM. You people exhaust me.

I will leave this poll open only ONE WEEK, until 10/23/06 so.... cast your vote and speak your mind.

thank u
dbs
:angry:

Last edited:
People are realizing how poorly Iraq has been handled. They are seeing the mockery the GOP has made of security. And finally, FINALLY people are seeing the punchline that's been several decades in the making, the joke that the GOP is the moral party.

People will change their vote. There's a good chance the Republicans lose both.

And I will :dance: when it happens!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
People are realizing how poorly Iraq has been handled. They are seeing the mockery the GOP has made of security. And finally, FINALLY people are seeing the punchline that's been several decades in the making, the joke that the GOP is the moral party.

People will change their vote. There's a good chance the Republicans lose both.

And I will :dance: when it happens!!!

BVS-

You know I always have to unblock my ignore switch to read your posts.
That said, I guess you are predicting that the GOP will lose both houses and you're going to do some sort of odd ball dance:wink:

We'll see.

dbs

Call me a cynic, or superior or whatever you will but I think there's a great well of American people who are buying the Republican brand of religion, Iraq and Foley not withstanding. If our elections are more and more being won in the arena of muscular/movie charisma and snappy sound bites--and I fear they are, then I think the Republicans continue to have the edge.

The feeling I get is that the media (which I agree is more left-leaning excepting Fox) is HOPING this the end of the Republican hegemony in congress, but that's all I think it is. . .wishing and hoping.

I'd love to be wrong though.

diamond said:

BVS-

You know I always have to unblock my ignore switch to read your posts.

This doesn't surprise me, after reading 4 years of your posts it's obvious you've been ignoring the truth for decades.

I would like a true conservative party to win. But no party outside of the big two will ever win big, so I'm out of luck.

I guess I'll have to root for the Republicans and hold on to trust that the few true conservatives left in the Republican Party can turn things around.

80sU2isBest said:
I would like a true conservative party to win. But no party outside of the big two will ever win big, so I'm out of luck.

I guess I'll have to root for the Republicans and hold on to trust that the few true conservatives left in the Republican Party can turn things around.

True conservatism has been dead a long time...

80sU2isBest said:

This is EXACTLY how I feel!

I think it might be time for a new party to represent the conservatives. The current batch of Republicans are a bunch of clowns and frauds. The dems are FAR worse, make no mistake about that. But I am not happy with the current senate and house...(and President).

Perhaps losing this time around will wake up the Right in time for 2008.

AEON said:

I think it might be time for a new party to represent the conservatives. The current batch of Republicans are a bunch of clowns and frauds. The dems are FAR worse, make no mistake about that. But I am not happy with the current senate and house...(and President).

Maybe it will and the wannabe theocrats and statist compassionate conservatives will be dumped out in the cold.

80sU2isBest said:
I would like a true conservative party to win.

Just curious. In your opinion, what would a "true conservative party" look like?

maycocksean said:
Just curious. In your opinion, what would a "true conservative party" look like?

One that institutes Sharia...I mean, "Biblical law"? :|

Melon

We need to make a start on the huge job of repairing the damage done to our country, here and in the eyes of the world. One, or better both houses of Congress going to the Democrats will a great start. Having a smart, well spoken President that the world respects will make a huge difference as well.

melon said:

One that institutes Sharia...I mean, "Biblical law"? :|

Melon

Come on melon, I've written enough on keeping religion out of public schools for you to know that's not true.

A_Wanderer said:
Maybe it will and the wannabe theocrats and statist compassionate conservatives will be dumped out in the cold.

If you pray for it and it happens, then will you believe in a power higher than yourself?

maycocksean said:

Well, actually, now that I think about it, the vast majority of the Republicans actually fulfill my numero uno requirement - the belief that it's not okay to kill babies in the womb.

That being said, a true conservative party would stand for "less government".

A true conservative party would also realize that special circumstances sometimes require special action. They would support the president in tapping the bad guys' phones and the phones of their associates in order to help keep America safe.

There are others, but I have to eat breakfast now.

AEON said:

Tucker Carlson on Chris Matthews a few weeks ago:

[q]CARLSON: It goes deeper than that though. The deep truth is that the elites in the Republican Party have pure contempt for the evangelicals who put their party in power. Everybody in ...

MATTHEWS: How do you know that? How do you know that?

CARLSON: Because I know them. Because I grew up with them. Because I live with them. they live on my street. Because I live in Washington, and I know that everybody in our world has contempt for the evangelicals. And the evangelicals know that, and they're beginning to learn that their own leaders sort of look askance at them and don't share their values.

MATTHEWS: So this gay marriage issue and other issues related to the gay lifestyle are simply tools to get elected?

CARLSON: That's exactly right. It's pandering to the base in the most cynical way, and the base is beginning to figure it out.[/q]

you realize that Republican elites don't give a crap about gay marriage; they aren't sincerely pro-life and will use that as the proverbial carrot to get you to the polls; they are every bit as secular as the Democrats; they're the popular kids in class befriending the uncool kids and pretending to care about them so they can get their vote but they're never going to give you want you want and they're going to use your vote to pass themselves tax cuts that are going to make them richer and slash social services for the devout working classes, and tell them that God helps those who help themselves.

it's been a spectacular ruse, and they've been riding it for the past 12 years, and it's time for the evangelicals to realize the extent to which they've been duped, the extent to which they're mocked behind their backs, and the fact that there has been virtually NO progress on issues like abortion or school prayer or whatever over the past 12 years.

you might have no reason to vote Democrat, but at least the Dems haven't played you for fools over the past 12 years.

(and i mean the Royal You, not AEON in particular)

80sU2isBest said:

Well, actually, now that I think about it, the vast majority of the Republicans actually fulfill my numero uno requirement - the belief that it's not okay to kill babies in the womb.

i don't understand how abortion rights could be anyone's #1 political issue.

Iraqis are dying by the thousands.

Irvine511 said:

i don't understand how abortion rights could be anyone's #1 political issue.

Iraqis are dying by the thousands.

Abortion rights isn't my number one issue. Preventing the murder of innocent babies is my # 1 political issue.

The US is at war. Civilians do regrettably get killed during war. The American military does not have a policy of targeting civilians. Don't bring up the few and far between horrible acts committed by certain military personnel; those were committed by evil people, acting of their own accord. Those horrible acts are very much the exception.

Premeditated abortions are not accidents. Doctors are intentionally killing human life.

Irvine511 said:

Tucker Carlson on Chris Matthews a few weeks ago:

[q]CARLSON: It goes deeper than that though. The deep truth is that the elites in the Republican Party have pure contempt for the evangelicals who put their party in power. Everybody in ...

MATTHEWS: How do you know that? How do you know that?

CARLSON: Because I know them. Because I grew up with them. Because I live with them. they live on my street. Because I live in Washington, and I know that everybody in our world has contempt for the evangelicals. And the evangelicals know that, and they're beginning to learn that their own leaders sort of look askance at them and don't share their values.

MATTHEWS: So this gay marriage issue and other issues related to the gay lifestyle are simply tools to get elected?

CARLSON: That's exactly right. It's pandering to the base in the most cynical way, and the base is beginning to figure it out.[/q]

you realize that Republican elites don't give a crap about gay marriage; they aren't sincerely pro-life and will use that as the proverbial carrot to get you to the polls;

Irvine, that may be true for some Republicans, but there are indeed many true conservatives to whom these issues do matter.

80sU2isBest said:

Abortion rights isn't my number one issue. Preventing the murder of innocent babies is my # 1 political issue.

The US is at war. Civilians do regrettably get killed during war. The American military does not have a policy of targeting civilians. Don't bring up the few and far between horrible acts committed by certain military personnel; those were committed by evil people, acting of their own accord. Those horrible acts are very much the exception.

Premeditated abortions are not accidents. Doctors are intentionally killing human life.

i'm talking about the invasion of a country and the mismanagement of the post-war that has created a civil war. this not about Americans killing Iraqis; it's about the current administration having made a colossal error that has resulted in mass death.

as for abortion rights (to have them or not to have them), i can understand how this can be a passionate topic, either the protection of them or taking them away, but i cannot understand how this one issue trumps all others.

and i'd say that for virtually any other issue. i don't know how anyone could be a single-issue voter.

80sU2isBest said:

Irvine, that may be true for some Republicans, but there are indeed many true conservatives to whom these issues do matter.

what's your definition of a true conservative?

Irvine511 said:

i'm talking about the invasion of a country and the mismanagement of the post-war that has created a civil war. this not about Americans killing Iraqis; it's about the current administration having made a colossal error that has resulted in mass death.

as for abortion rights (to have them or not to have them), i can understand how this can be a passionate topic, either the protection of them or taking them away,

I'm not for taking away any legitimate rights. There is no legitimate right to take the life of an innocent baby.

Irvine511 said:

i don't know how anyone could be a single-issue voter.

While it is true that one issue is by far the most important for me, I'm not a single issue voter. If the Republicans and Democrats were all prolife, I would still vote Republican. I side with the Republicans on the vast majority of issues. There are very few issues with which I side with the Democrats.

Back
Top Bottom