Heckler Charged for yesterday's disturbance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, Big Brother is always watching! And when big brother is mad he will strike down up thee his wrath!!

"China has become successful because the Chinese people are experiencing the freedom to buy, and to sell, and to produce — and China can grow even more successful by allowing the Chinese people the freedom to assemble, to speak freely and to worship," Bush said.

Bush later apologizes to Hu for the woman that wanted the freedom to assemble, speak freely and to worship freely.

Bush gave one speech where he mentioned Democracy nine times.

If a person writes Democracy once in an email in China
they disappear in a Chinese prison.

Do we have a pantywaist President that just panders to dim-witted supporters with empty rhetoric, or what?

I'm 100% free speech, but I do see interrupting a big ceremony as grounds for some punishment

I'm Ready said:
I'm 100% free speech, but I do see interrupting a big ceremony as grounds for some punishment

I disagree Many times when Bush speaks or any unfavorable politician speaks there are hecklers some times.

Hell I remember when Cheney was visiting NO and while he was talking to the media a person said "Go Fuck Yourself Mr. Cheney."

Mr. Hu is on US soil and should expect this.

I'd be a little more supportive if she was actually getting anyone freed. I support Students for a Free Tibet, a related cause, but I wonder if this is the way to go about achieving democracy in China. Somehow it seems so hopeless because China is so damn powerful.

The women is not being punished for the content of her speech, but for the attempt to prevent another from speaking (albeit, her actions do not rise to the level of jail time).

^ Yes, as the article points out,
The law at issue bars willfully harassing, intimidating, coercing or threatening a foreign official in the performance of their official duties.
The Cheney situation (which happened in Gulfport, MS) was quite different--he was speaking to some journalists in a public setting when a spectator started shouting at him. Hu was speaking at a diplomatic function closed to the public; the woman was only there because she had falsely posed as a journalist (she is a doctor) in order to gain access.

Obviously, it was intended as an act of civil disobedience, and it's *probably* unlikely that a jail sentence would result--that would invite a wave of why-are-we-coddling-a-draconian-state publicity. But as far as it goes, there's nothing unusual about being arrested for doing what she did.

Back
Top Bottom