Heated Confrontation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:

The "That's so Gay" thread. How many people did I hear say she should not have said that , which implies that it's forbidden?

First of all, freedom of speech doesn't exist in high school, second no it does not imply it's forbidden.

But this was all said before, IN THAT THREAD.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

First of all, freedom of speech doesn't exist in high school, second no it does not imply it's forbidden.

But this was all said before, IN THAT THREAD.

Really then why can you have students protest the war at school and speak their mind, or students who decide to express their freedom by walking out of HS to protest prison being built instead of schools? Which pisses me off because the students dont give a shit, so why not build more jails since that's where they will end up.

Well I am out. Got school (Political Science) You all have a safe and good night or day and talk to you later.

Justin24 said:

Ok but why do we ban some books here in the US?

Just so you know I'm not ignoring you, but this question has nothing to do with the subject at hand so I'm not going to answer it here.

I've pretty much said all I need to on the subject matter here and am now leaving the thread. :)

Justin24 said:

Really then why can you have students protest the war at school and speak their mind,

Geesh... No one said you can't speak your mind in high school, it's just that freedom of speech is not a given right IN school.

The rest of the post isn't worth discussing.

But the topic is an interesting one. I think it is a fair discussion.
Okay, we know what the law says and I agree with it fully.
But free speech has a cost and while it should have an amazingly high trump value, it would be silly to deny it has adverse consequences. I think if I'm reading Justin correctly, he believes in this case that the freedom of speech is bumping up against both right of privacy and the question to who holds rights to the use of your name (if that is even applicable) when even though your name has been made public, you may not be a public figure.

Free speech should encourage discussion even if the fruit of its execution is dissent against free speech.

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately once your name, your likeness, image, etc is made public then it can be used in games or agendas you may not actually believe in. Freedom of speech has a price, but once someone starts to limit that it's no freedom of speech.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yes, unfortunately once your name, your likeness, image, etc is made public then it can be used in games or agendas you may not actually believe in. Freedom of speech has a price, but once someone starts to limit that it's no freedom of speech.

I probably want less limits on speech than there are. And we are probably limited more by societal restrictions than legal ones. We drive too many things underground where, as Vincent Vega alluded, they gain in power.

I want an open and free exchange of ideas. While I want actual freedom of speech to be a sacred cow, I don't want the "idea" of freedom of speech to be one.

I have not read all 7 pages

just the first 2 of this thread

but, I think I agree with Justin

people should respect this family and not put up their loved ones name if they ask it be taken down.

Also, this Administration was and is wrong when they do not respect the families that
want t v cameras allowed when their loved ones' caskets are unloaded from the planes.

We can't individuals and the government respect the wishes on the families?

Justin24 said:
So what if someone made a wall with all rape victims and how this needs to stop, is that freedom of speech?

My personal belife is if the parents do not want their sons name on their they should remove it. Why is that hard for some to understand?
Should or must.

A_Wanderer said:
Should or must.

Exactly.

Look, if a soldiers parent respectfuly asks these people to remove their son/daughters name, and they don't, they're arseholes for not doing so, but at the same time they don't have to regardless.

Justin24 said:

I have made my stance, but you don't seem to understand.
You support free speech but when it is emotionally annoying you oppose it, very simple really - the important thing is that you haven't defined state intervention as the means to silence the protest; it's all well and good to say what the protestor should do in the name of respect but it is very different to say that he has to do something with fear of force.

The clear answer here is that whether you think they should or shouldn't remove the name is beside the point. According to the law, they do not have to.

Back
Top Bottom