Heated Confrontation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still think it's wrong.

What if someone created a pro-war sign and they were asked to remove it, would you go defend him for have such a sign on his property?

Justin24 said:

What if someone created a pro-war sign and they were asked to remove it, would you go defend him for have such a sign on his property?

That's the thing with law. You might not agree, but it is like it is and you have to accept it.

And yes, everybody has a right to put a pro- or anti-war sign into his garden.

Justin24 said:

Ding ding ding!!!

That's the point of free speech.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ding ding ding!!!

That's the point of free speech.

Funny how a while a go when the founder of the minute men went to speak at a college and was interuppted and his freedom of speech was taken away. Some thought the protestors were in the right.

Justin, I don't think you really understand the concept of freedom of speech or what it means for that freedom to be infringed.

Both sides have many people who say they believe in freedom of speech but don't support the actual practice of it.

anitram said:
Justin, I don't think you really understand the concept of freedom of speech or what it means for that freedom to be infringed.

I know what freedom of speech is, but why can't they tell them that they would like there son or daughters name removed from their agenda?

Justin24 said:

Funny how a while a go when the founder of the minute men went to speak at a college and was interuppted and his freedom of speech was taken away. Some thought the protestors were in the right.

Both have rights to speak. Those rights went out the window once violence took place.

How could he speak, when they rushed the stage promting the guy to leave and not let him say what he was there for?

Justin24 said:
How could he speak, when they rushed the stage promting the guy to leave and not let him say what he was there for?

Honestly that is not the issue, we spoke about this when the thread was going. Please stick to the subject at hand.

Justin24 said:

I know what freedom of speech is, but why can't they tell them that they would like there son or daughters name removed from their agenda?

No one here said they can't ask for the name being removed.
They can even be upset, anything. No problem.
That's not the point.
The point is that the law is on the side of the initiator of this memorial, and the parents can't force him to remove the name.

Why can't there be a compromise on the "Memorial" For those parents who dont want their son or daugters name set up on a hill they should not put the names and for those who want it then put. Simple as that.

That would be the optimal case, and it would be nice if the person who set up the memorial listened and asked for permission.

Maybe they will come to that compromise, otherwise law will decide.

Freedom of speech bumps up against peoples' sensitivities and beliefs and sacred cows and authority all the time. If no one was bothered by it, there'd be no need to protect it. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee respect.

That being said, if I had the memorial and a parent or spouse or child requested that I remove the soldier's name, I would. But that would be my personal choice not to cause them additional pain.

I would agree.
But I think, when someone comes and starts shouting at the other guy, they can't expect any compromise.
They may be outraged, but nevertheless you don't come to any conclusions when you just shout at the other guy.

Justin24 said:
Why can't there be a compromise on the "Memorial" For those parents who dont want their son or daugters name set up on a hill they should not put the names and for those who want it then put. Simple as that.

Well in the eyes of person who created this, that would be censorship.

Publicly.....................

I don't see them removing their sons name as censorship.

We already have limits. But they shouldn't be capricious or allowed for discomfort. The burden for additional limits should be heavy.

I feel for the family not wanting their son's name to be used as a pawn, but the sad thing is that their son was already used -- literally -- as a pawn.

That's what is really sad in this whole thing.

What limits would you allow, Justin, beyond already established limits and ones like the situation you brought up? How would you balance it without freedom of speech just becoming code for espousing the popular or "correct" viewpoint? Serious question.
I am curious if it can be balanced, because I don't know that it can.

In the subcategories of freedom of speech, political protest is at the pinnacle of protection.

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
Does the person who created an Iraq war memorial by putting crosses with the names of dead soldier have a right to put the names with out the persmission of the family?

http://www.ktvu.com/video/11203904/index.html?taf=fran

watch the video and then give your answer.

After watching this video.........i just see the parents are beside themselves in greif, they are and will lash out at anyone.....i really think the people organising the memorial handled the confrontation badly....perhaps they should have said 'No problems Sir....i will remove the name if you wish, i am sorry it has caused you distress, we did not mean for you to be offended".......does the guy need permission to list names.....No.....Did U2 ask every single family member of the victims of 9/11 when they had their names scrolling in the background of Streets when they performed?.......I think it was the Superbowl...not sure)

Justin24 said:
So should any speech be allowed?

Just out of curiosity, why is it that there nothing wrong with saying "something is so gay," but using a person's name in a memorial is wrong?

Do you really want to know what the problem is? People get offended by one word and then they want it banned or they person should not be allowed to speak and usually they gather a croud of supporters.

You really can't balance it because both sides will have their supporters.

But if you want to balance it out, why not make a yearly memorial for all those who have died due to murder, Suicides etc... How many supporters will you find then?

Justin24 said:
So should any speech be allowed?

Good grief!

This is what I mean by you not really understanding the topic because it's patently obvious that there are limits on your freedom of speech (and expression) and those limits have been enforced.

Sometimes I think you start these threads and then just keep arguing for the sake of arguing rather than actually having some point for which you truly stand.

Back
Top Bottom