headscarf madness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Some of you know that I participate in a medieval re-enactment group. We get together on weekends and pretend like we're medieval characters. Some of us are interested in Middle Eastern cultures, and wear headscarves, the way women did in Middle Eastern countries during our period of study. This has nothing to do with modern politics. Alot of these people are in the military, and served in Iraq. Unfortunately people who don't know what we're doing have harassed some of the women wearing headscarves. No one can stop idiots from getting drunk on a Saturday night and going after someone who is simply playing a game. But it's scary how far the madness over Islamic religious clothing is getting. These women are not even Moslems in real life---but what if they were? Does that make them terrorists? No. Now I have a Middle Eastern costume for an event some friends of mine are doing in two weeks. I'd better not get harassed. I will be pissed if I do. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Your re-enactments may be prohibited under the Patriot Act... :sexywink:

It's crazy........the local group has two people serving in Iraq right now. Someone else came home just in time for the birth of his child last summer. His wife wears headscarves. European women used to cover their heads. All of this madness over a piece of fabric? Maybe the Department of Homeland Security should hire some psychiatrists.

I think that just gives you an insight into the way Muslim women are often treated. I know several women from my university who were harrasssed because they were wearing a headscarf: one was confronted by two men shouting obscenities at her, another had her headscarf pulled off while she was walking in the city centre and I can't even count how many stories I've heard of women being called terrorists because they choose to wear a headscarf.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I think that just gives you an insight into the way Muslim women are often treated. I know several women from my university who were harrasssed because they were wearing a headscarf: one was confronted by two men shouting obscenities at her, another had her headscarf pulled off while she was walking in the city centre and I can't even count how many stories I've heard of women being called terrorists because they choose to wear a headscarf.

Damn. This madness is going on all over. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

It's just like the poor Japanese here in America after WWII. Someday we'll look back on how we treated muslims and think to ourselves "how did we let this happen in America?"

U2andPolitix said:
It's just like the poor Japanese here in America after WWII. Someday we'll look back on how we treated muslims and think to ourselves "how did we let this happen in America?"

Absolutely. These women are just trying to be modest. This is a disgraceful violation of human rights. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Some people will never learn. The fact that governments and so on have let it become a political issue - i.e not done anything to educate people about the Islamic culture - is something I'm not very pleased with.

~*Buffalo*~ said:
Some people will never learn. The fact that governments and so on have let it become a political issue - i.e not done anything to educate people about the Islamic culture - is something I'm not very pleased with.

That's so true. Much of the American public is shamefully ignorant on Islamic culture. For example, they don't have any idea that only 18% of the Islamic population lives in the Middle East, and also, for the record, that about half the Arabic population of the U.S. is actually Christian and not Moslem. Most of these Christian Arabs are Eastern Rite Catholic (I am Western, or Roman Rite, Catholic). It's a global era, and unless we get educated about this *globe* we live on we are in trouble. I am going to be writing the politicians about my ideas about educating our kids to be global citizens. I'm not saying anyone has to compromise anything in the way of beliefs, values, traditions, or whatever. But we've all got to work together or we'll clash--a disaster.

verte76 said:
That's so true. Much of the American public is shamefully ignorant on Islamic culture. For example, they don't have any idea that only 18% of the Islamic population lives in the Middle East, and also, for the record, that about half the Arabic population of the U.S. is actually Christian and not Moslem. Most of these Christian Arabs are Eastern Rite Catholic (I am Western, or Roman Rite, Catholic). It's a global era, and unless we get educated about this *globe* we live on we are in trouble. I am going to be writing the politicians about my ideas about educating our kids to be global citizens. I'm not saying anyone has to compromise anything in the way of beliefs, values, traditions, or whatever. But we've all got to work together or we'll clash--a disaster.

Exactly. That's the way our government can win the war on terror.

Angela

verte76 said:
That's so true. Much of the American public is shamefully ignorant on Islamic culture. For example, they don't have any idea that only 18% of the Islamic population lives in the Middle East, and also, for the record, that about half the Arabic population of the U.S. is actually Christian and not Moslem.

It's exactly the same here in the UK. I remember numerous people describing my university's Islamic society as the "Arabic society" or talking about "the arabs in the Islamic society." Apparently they hadn't figured out that the majority of Muslims at this university were from countries such as Pakistan and Indonesia, with comparatively few from the Middle East.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Exactly. That's the way our government can win the war on terror.

Angela

Yes. I think about 90% of the war on terrorism is really war on ignorance. Most Moslems in the Middle East and elsewhere around the globe want peace. Only the terrorist nutcase minority wants a "holy war". Jihad is an Arabic word which means a personal struggle against sin, and only a very few use it as an excuse for violence.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Yes. I think about 90% of the war on terrorism is really war on ignorance. Most Moslems in the Middle East and elsewhere around the globe want peace. Only the terrorist nutcase minority wants a "holy war". Jihad is an Arabic word which means a personal struggle against sin, and only a very few use it as an excuse for violence.

:yes: Exactly.

Angela

verte76 said:

I guess this depends on what you mean by "peace".

nbcrusader said:

True, there's more than one definition of peace. Most of these people are disgusted and fed up with the terrorist/extremist elements in their societies and have a far more tolerant and sophisticated worldview. They want to work with others, not against them.

nbcrusader said:

I don't mean to be too confrontational, but what are you intending to imply with a statement like that? That most Muslims aren't peaceful people who abhor the extremists such as bin Laden as much as non-Muslims. Or that their definition of peace isn't actually peace but violence?

Back
Top Bottom