HEADLINE: The Chamber has Been Emptied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1084802,00.html

'CHEMICAL PLANT FOUND'

A huge chemical weapons factory has been found in Iraq, according to Pentagon sources.

The facility was found by advancing US troops in An Najaf, around 100 miles south of Baghdad, the sources say.

The general in charge of the factory was arrested by the 1st Brigade of the Third Infantry division and is being questioned, the sources said.

An unconfirmed report by Fox news said the complex is around 100-acres, adjacent to military barracks and surrounded by an electric fence.

Sky News Reporter Ian Woods said if the claims are substantiated they will in part vindicate President Bush and Prime Minister Blair.

They have argued the case for war against Iraq on the grounds that Saddam Hussein had banned weapons of mass destruction, including chemical and biological weapons.

The Iraqi regime has always denied this and UN weapons inspectors sent back into the country at the end of last year failed to find any evidence to suggest otherwise.

And on this find the UN said it did not know of any such installation.

---------

But then again I heard that MSNBC was denying this report, so who knows...

Yes thanks speedracer.

Lemonite what did I tell you about posting links...

deep said:
fox and sky news are the same.

As far as I can tell Sky News is based in the UK, while Fox News is based in the US. Are they both owned by NewsCorp/Rupert Murdoch?

deep said:
check this out

i think so and much more.

Ah.

NewsCorp (Fox News, Sky News, the UK Times) lost major points with lots of speculative reports of mass surrenders in general. Maybe they can recover if this story checks out.

(And if you're wondering, yes, I believed the story about the Iraqi 51th division when it first came out.)

Edit: actually, it looks like the whopper about the Iraqi 51th division was fairly widespread. (Apparently the military is blaming it on an Arabic translation error, or something.) I definitely remember reading several stories in the Times Online about possible mass surrenders, though.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

As far as I can tell Sky News is based in the UK, while Fox News is based in the US. Are they both owned by NewsCorp/Rupert Murdoch?

Yes they are. Although in fairness to Sky News, I've been impressed by lots of their coverage of the war: it's been far less biased than you'd usually expect from Murdoch's press.

CNN is reporting that this is probably an old storage plant, and they aren't expecting too much to come from this. But investigations will commence.

Back
Top Bottom