Haven't had a Wal Mart thread in awhile...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
The lawsuit, filed by six female employees, alleges the Bentonville, Ark., retailer systematically paid women with similar qualifications less than men and frequently overlooked women for promotions.

A lawsuit against America's largest employer is serving as a reminder that concerns about gender discrimination persist despite four decades of focus on equal workplace rights.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...itShowsGlassCeilingStillAnIssue.aspx?GT1=9114

Wow, now that's a shocker. Pathetic.

Of course like the article says it's not just WalMart. But women aren't discriminated against anymore, right?

from http://www.coolfer.com/blog/archives/brickandmortor_retail/

The Eagles' Don Henley spoke to The Los Angeles Times' Geoff Boucher about many topics, one being its exclusive retail deal with Wal-Mart and the band's upcoming album.

""A lot of the people who have criticized us are obviously unaware of what Wal-Mart is doing in overhauling their operation," he said, rattling off the company's well-publicized initiatives to open eco-friendly "green stores," reduce packaging and use its market share to pressure vendors into pursuing environmentally conscious approaches.

And there's the fact that the Wal-Mart deal offered a promising escape route for Henley and his band mates; they have no traditional record label deal, and, after watching the file-sharing websites rise to power, they were open to any path to keep their connection with fans.

"This is the world we live in," Henley said. Then, with a chuckle, he added: 'In the big picture, they can't be any more evil than a major record label.' ...

Wal-Mart is happy with the deal, at least so far; David Porter, Wal-Mart's vice president of home entertainment, gushed back in October that the retailer was 'very pleased to be able to bring our customers an alliance with America's greatest rock icons.'

Still, in the bargain Wal-Mart gets a cranky star promising to keep an eye on the promises made ('I will be watchful.') and to make a stink if they don't come through ('You can always get a divorce.')

The album that Wal-Mart will be getting won't be the predictably neutral material it always got from its other corporate troubadour, Garth Brooks. Henley said the lyrics are laced with dark humor and war protest."

while i'm all about some wal-mart bashing, i just wanna add something positive (sorta) to the thread. in an article i read last semester "The Within-Job Gender Wage Gap" by Trond Petersen and Laurie A. Morgan, they did a study that discovered that within-job wage discrimination occurred less, because the Equal Pay Act of 1963 was keeping that in line (obviously to a certain extent.) Keep in mind, that walmart is just one corporation. This is more of a national study. Anyway, they discovered that wage differences between the sexes were generated moreso by occupation-establishment than within-job wage discrimination.

It found that certain positions were being reserved for certain sexes. And that jobs primarily occupied by women paid less than the jobs occupied by men.

so...yeah. wal-mart sucks, we all know, for many reasons. but i just wanted to point out that it is in no way a microcosm of the rest of the workforce in the united states. there is still discrimination, but it is because of how the occupations are being allocated, which, is due to traditional conservative gender roles.

I'd include a link to the article, but it is through jstor. Do a search for the title and authors and that should do it. However, this article is from 1995. I haven't read a follow-up article to this one, but if anyone here knows of one, please share!

I don't doubt for one second that walmart, being the evil bastards they are, are guilty of this. However the fact that there's a lawsuit proves nothing. Companies will settle rather than fight as it's often more cost-effective to do so.

Anyone thinking that because there's a lawsuit it must be true isn't too bright. The legal profession is only slightly behind walmart in the evil bastard category

In Germany and the USA (and most probably in the other countries as well) the salary/wage for women is about 60 to 80 per cent of that men are earning.
The glass ceiling is a very big problem as well.
Wal Mart now is a case where they finally try to do something, and they also announced that this will just be the warning for other companies to change their policy on wages and promotions.

I also have to think about this oil company in Alaska that wouldn't promote the one female employee, that was just brilliant in her job.
After some years watching how her male colleagues got promoted even though she presented the better results, she decided to open her own business.
Just a few years later her company has grown so much so that she overtook the other company. Her first action was to change the management of that company.

That story was one example of succesful women who had to fight for their career in the Business Spotlight.

I'm not a supporter of this anti-discrimination rules that state that when a man and a woman are applying for the same job/position, and both are equally skilled, the woman has to get the job, but something certainly has to be done.

Wal-Mart told to pay $2m to fired pharmacist

By Keith Reed, Boston Globe Staff | June 21, 2007

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. must pay $2 million in damages to a former pharmacist who said she was fired from its Pittsfield store after complaining that she was being paid less than her male counterparts.

A Berkshire County Superior Court jury on Tuesday awarded Cynthia Haddad $1 million in punitive damages, more than $800,000 in compensatory damages, and $125,000 for emotional distress. Barring an appeal from Wal-Mart, the verdict ends a three-year battle between Haddad and the nation's largest retailer.

"The message in our case is you can't take a professional pharmacist and fire her for reasons that aren't enforced for male pharmacists. Their reasons were just laughable," said Richard E. Fradette , one of Haddad's lawyers.

John Simley , a Wal-Mart spokesman, said the company is reviewing the verdict and hasn't decided whether to appeal. He added that the company has an anti discrimination policy and encourages women to take leadership roles.

The Haddad verdict comes as Wal-Mart is defending itself against a sex discrimination class action that could have much larger implications for the company. That suit, filed in 2001 , includes nearly all women who worked for Wal-Mart after December 1998 , as many as 2 million , according to estimates by the plaintiffs' attorneys.

"It's very similar and probably draws upon the same practices that we're talking about in our case," said Joseph Sellers , an lawyer with Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld & Toll in Washington, D.C., and co-lead counsel in the class action .

Wal-Mart is appealing a February 2-to-1 ruling by the US Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco that allows the lawsuit to keep its class action status.

While both cases involve women's claims of gender discrimination against Wal-Mart employees, Simley said "they're two completely different cases with different circumstances."

At the heart of the Haddad case was her allegation that her 2004 dismissal was retaliation for complaining about her pay. She was a Wal-Mart pharmacist from 1993 until she was fired.

In 2003 , she accepted a temporary job managing the Pittsfield store's pharmacy, a position that was supposed to come with a bonus and an hourly pay raise of $1 . But after nine months, she had received neither, her lawsuit claimed. After complaining to her supervisors, Haddad eventually received a check for nine weeks' worth of bonuses, but none of the manager's differential, her suit alleged.

After several more months of complaining about her pay, she was given another bonus check in April 2004 , the suit said. Five days later, she was fired for allegedly violating Wal-Mart policy by leaving a technician in the pharmacy without supervision.

But Fradette, her attorney, said that incident occurred in 2002 , 18 months before she was fired and after Haddad had witnessed and reported misconduct by male pharmacists to Wal-Mart.

Lawyers who specialize in workplace discrimination said there were some similarities between the Haddad case and the national class action , but they also noted important distinctions.

"The difference is that this case involved retaliation," said Paul Holtzman , a partner Krokidas & Bluestein in Boston and co chairman of the Boston Bar Association's labor and employment section.

"The largest verdicts and the most exposure for companies often comes in retaliation cases where the managers act out of anger against an employee for asserting their rights."

Have you seen the new commercial where some activist group is trying to get you to boycott them for buying more and more Chinese made stuff and less and less American? They said Sam would be ashamed, and they had pics of a Communist Chinese Military review, saying WalMart was in cohoots with them.

Wal-Mart Warns of Democratic Win - WSJ.com

The Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings don't specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's election, but make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in, according to Wal-Mart employees who attended gatherings in Maryland, Missouri and other states.

"The meeting leader said, 'I am not telling you how to vote, but if the Democrats win, this bill will pass and you won't have a vote on whether you want a union,'" said a Wal-Mart customer-service supervisor from Missouri. "I am not a stupid person. They were telling me how to vote," she said.

"If anyone representing Wal-Mart gave the impression we were telling associates how to vote, they were wrong and acting without approval," said David Tovar, Wal-Mart spokesman. Mr. Tovar acknowledged that the meetings were taking place for store managers and supervisors nationwide.

The best part about living in Manhattan is that there is no Walmart anywhere to be seen.

The best part about living in Manhattan is that there is no Walmart anywhere to be seen.

Sadly, we have one. In my neck of the woods. And I hate to say it. But, some of the most miserable people on earth shop there. They are screaming at their kids, the kids scream back. You get the picture. I only go there, when my mom-in-law wants to buy cough drops. That's enough, Walmart culture for me!

If I need hair color, aspirin, etc. I shop at K-Mart. Nicer store in my opinion.

Well, folks, where I live they don't have a Walmart. But I'm in a Hawaii right now and they have one here. In fact it's right across the street from this internet cafe and I think I'm gonna head on over there. . right now. :D

Wal Mart Tells Employees Vote for McCain... or else!

Reuters

August 1, 2008 at 1:19 PM EDT

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. [WMT-N] , the world's largest retailer, denied a report Friday that it had pressured employees to vote against Democrats in November because of worries that a bill the party supports would make it easier for workers to unionize.

The measure, called the Employee Free Choice Act, would allow labour organizations to unionize workplaces without secret ballot elections. It was co-sponsored by Barack Obama, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate, and opposed by John McCain, the presumed Republican nominee.

A report in The Wall Street Journal said the Bentonville, Ark.-based discounter — which has rigorously resisted being unionized — had held mandatory meetings with store managers and department supervisors in recent weeks to warn that if Democrats take power in November, they would likely push through the bill, which the company says would hurt workers.

Wal-Mart spokesman Dave Tovar told The Associated Press that the company did discuss the bill with its employees, including what it sees as the negative impact, and noted that the company's stand on the legislation is no secret.

Wal-Mart "We believe the Employee Free Choice Act is a bad bill and we have been on the record as opposed to it," he said.

But he said the company wasn't advocating that its employees vote against backers of the legislation.

"If anyone representing Wal-Mart gave the impression... they are wrong and acting without approval," said Mr. Tovar. In fact, he said that Wal-Mart has been working with both Republicans and Democrats.

"Half of our (political action committee) contributions are to members of each party," Mr. Tovar said. "We regularly educate our associates on issues which impact our company, and this is an example of that."

The Wall Street Journal cited about a dozen unidentified Wal-Mart employees who had attended such meetings in seven states as saying they were told that employees at unionized shops would have to pay big union dues while not receiving any benefits in return.

Furthermore, workers said they were told that unionization would mean job losses as costs rise, according to the report. The report said the Wal-Mart human resource managers who held the meetings didn't specifically tell the employees how to vote, but made it clear that an Obama victory would mean unionization.

Wal-Mart Watch, a union-backed group that has criticized the company for what it calls skimpy pay and benefits and poor treatment of its workers, said in a statement that the article "demonstrates once again that Wal-Mart intimidates its workers." The group, which supplied some of the sources to The Wall Street Journal, said the stories cited in the article are "consistent" with numerous reports it has received in the past week.

The development deals a blow to Wal-Mart's reputation just as the company has started seeing its image improve and criticism diminish as it works to improve benefits and push through its "Save money, live better" campaign.

In a session with reporters after the company's annual shareholders meeting in June, Wal-Mart President and CEO Lee Scott said Wal-Mart was comfortable working with either presidential candidate. In the past, Wal-Mart had lined up with the Republicans. But the company's message of environmental sustainability, its program to offer $4 prescription drugs and improved benefits for workers helped move the company to the political centre.

"We stand ready to work with the new Congress and whoever is elected (president)," Mr. Tovar said Friday.

Gotta love this. If i were a walmart employee this would make me want to vote for Obama!

:lol: How could a chain store get away with something that stupid and how could something like that be traced anyway? It's a stupid thought and story! I'm so sure!

We have a Sam's Club and Wal-Mart. I've not shopped at Wal-Mart since years ago 20/20 did a story on them lying about carrying only American made products. I can't even stand driving by Wal-Mart stores. I stopped in the parking lot of a Wal Mart store while on a road trip once (I forget what for) and couldn't wait to get out of there. And now Martha Stewart is pushing her stuff at Wal-Mart. THAT makes me sick too!

It's kind of scary that Walmart involves itself in the political process. They are a retailing chain. Nothing more. It is up to the American people to vote as they choose.

It wasn't moved; it was merged into the other active Wal-Mart thread, in which the story bonoman posted had already been posted.

Back
Top Bottom