Has U2 inspired your political action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurrenderUV

Babyface
Has U2's music or the band itself ever inspired you to take political action? Any stories?

Partly. I would say U2 adds fuel to my fire when it comes to my activism. Bono's awareness and activism I would say aids my cause to help people in poverty around the world.

I was already politically active when I got into U2. Their orientation towards topical subjects definitely had alot to do with me becoming a fan. I really liked the white flag and all of that stuff.

This is what I just post in EYKIW reagrding this question. I think it better fits in FYM, so I am reposting it here.

http://www.theonecampaign.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am of U2's generation and while I was not specifically inspired by U2 to become socially active, they have helped to re-inforce in me the social conscience and responsibility to help make a change for better in our world.

Thousands of lives have been saved and thousands of lives have been improved through the influence of U2's music and personal
examples of CARING IN ACTION.

I am heartened that their social conscience has never left them and that Bono has remained as forthright and consistent about social justice for the world 's poorest people throughout his career.

Thnaks very much for this thread - it's one of the more important ones that I have seen here lately.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....

Jamila
Refugee

Local time:
11-27-2004 10:40 PM

11-27-2004 10:35 PM -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yea, partly because of Bono's absolutely BRILLIANT ADVOCACY for Africa's Future, I have two presentations to give this week of World AIDS Day (1 December) on AIDS in Africa and what we can all do to help.

Is that a good example of the inspiration that I have found to "dream out loud" in U2 and their music?

GOD BLESSED US WITH U2. THANK GOD FOR BONO.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I think somewhere in the early 90's I froze up like a glacier...

I believe I am thawing out....slowly.....
:wink:

In the mid 80s up to about 91, I really let U2 influence my political thinking. However, after that, I really started to see things differently, and now I'm not sure that I would agree with them much politically.

I just realized I have now posted in Free Your Mind, something I said I'd never do again (it steals all my time). Darn these "moved" threads that start in other forums!

Sorry about this in two forums

Sorry to everybody about this thread being in two forums. I wasn't quite sure which one it belonged in and I wanted to get the greatest number of responses I could. So far everybody's replies have been great! Thanks so much for taking your time to answer.

Absolutely. I first listened to U2 back in 1994 and haven't been the same since. My father is more conservative and my mother is a liberal, my father never attended church and my mother raised us in the church, etc. The more I learned about the band and especially Bono, made me examine my beliefs and goals.

I wouldn't say I agree with U2 on the gun control issue, but they tend to be active in 'safe' issues. Poverty for example is safe, because hardly anyone would say it's a bad thing.

Bono inspired me to look at the AIDS crisis a little differently. I liked how he said "If you see a car crashed and the driver was drunk, you'd still dial 911 wouldn't you?"

I've learned that the cause of it isn't as important as finding a cure. Kind of like the cause of the car crash isn't as important as dialing 911.

verte76 said:
I was already politically active when I got into U2. Their orientation towards topical subjects definitely had alot to do with me becoming a fan. I really liked the white flag and all of that stuff.

:up::yes:

Back
Top Bottom