Has It Gone Too Far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Kerry - Jackson Connection

capt.bx10103212130.bush_kerry_st_patricks_bx101.jpg

:| You know if he has he has, who cares? I think probably 75% of people who do get plastic surgery don't tell people about it. I mean is this going to be an issue? Some may argue character, I think it's a waste of time. Both canidates have some things in their pasts and present that warrant bigger character issues than this.

well, I always say that no joke is "not done" as long as it's a good joke

I'll have to give it some more thought to decide whether this is funny enough not to mind that it links someone to a man who is currently being prosecuted for having sex with minors

OK...for those of you who are not familiar with it....this is the ANNUAL SOUTH BOSTON ST. PATRICKS DAY BREAKFAST. It is full of politicians from both sides of the aisle. President Bush called in and made jokes, Senator Kerry called in and made jokes. It is ALL in good fun. Most of the people in the room are Democrats, because here in Massachusetts the Republicans are in the minority. Very often Senetor Kennedy is there as well. It really truly is a fun event to be at.

I did not get to watch it yesterday. If I can find a transcript of some of the jokes, I will post it.

NB...LOL You are killing me...has it gone too far?

They do stuff like that at that breakfast every year. It's meant to be like a "roast" type thing, and it's usually unfunny. Politicians aren't that funny (and it's all written for them anyway). They just all like to amuse themselves :wink:

It's no big deal to me if John Kerry got botox (and it certainly appears to me that he did) I just don't see why he won't just admit it :shrug: Mrs. Kerry is 65 and talks openly about all of her botox :D

Dreadsox said:
OK...for those of you who are not familiar with it....this is the ANNUAL SOUTH BOSTON ST. PATRICKS DAY BREAKFAST. It is full of politicians from both sides of the aisle.
yes, I read that

I proof every day though that there is a enormous difference in trying to be funny and being funny

and this is just not really funny :slant:

Well, the Democrat Mayor of Boston, who is seated below the picture is laughing histerically.

I also believe he was laughing when his speaking issues were made fun of. He also made a joke about his speaking ability himself.

This event is about having a good time. Republicans and Democrats all bear the brunt of it.

well, IMO they should let comedians make up jokes while policiticans should stick to .... whatever it is they are doing

come to think of it
maybe they should all become profesional funny men :hmm:

at the risk of hi-jacking ( this thread seems near conclusion)

Q. for Dread and Melon, (i don't have pm )

Was/is there not any real concern the your Gov. is a carpet bagger.

He ran the Utah Olympics, filed both Fed and State tax returns and registered to vote in Utah.

Not to mention lived there with homeowners claim on personal residence.

Then runs for Gov of Mass.

Do you not have or enforce residency requirements?

or is my info not correct?

Actually there was one I thought was kind of funny, something like this..

"There was a fire at GWB'S Presidential library. Both books were burned. GW was upset because he still hadn't finished coloring one of them. "

:shifty:

deep said:
at the risk of hi-jacking ( this thread seems near conclusion)

Q. for Dread and Melon, (i don't have pm )

Was/is there not any real concern the your Gov. is a carpet bagger.

Then runs for Gov of Mass.

Do you not have or enforce residency requirements?

or is my info not correct?

There was controversy about it....not so much from the democrats, but from the Republican Governor who wanted to run. She wound up stepping down.

Romney is not really viewed as a carpetbagger as most people gave him leway because he was out of state running the Olympics. He also ran against Ted Kennedy and did a pretty decent job at it years ago, so I do not think people viewed him as a carpetbagger.

At the time I was a delegate to the state convention and therewas ONE candidate left against him. Romney had a better machine running the convention and the other guy lost handily although it made for good news in the press that someone did decently against him at the convention.

I hope this answers your question.

Bush Phone call comments to the same EVENT:

[Q]"Here's the way I like to put it about Massachusetts. I know there's a lot of talk about a Massachusetts politician who has his eye on the presidency, but tell Mitt it's not open till 2008."[/Q]

[Q]Bush said he wanted to thank the priest who gave the blessing because "I presume he's got quite a few souls to save in that crowd."[/Q]

[Q]Hart provoked a chuckle from Bush when he asked him, "Do you need a running mate? We like Dick Cheney and all, but we'd like you to take the governor to Washington."

Bush came back, "Look, you're lucky to have the guy." [/Q]

Kerry Comments:

[Q]"Father, I got a few Republican ones I want to add to the list if I can," quipped Kerry.[/Q]

[Q]Bush placed his call from the White House. Kerry checked in from his skiing vacation in Idaho.

Kerry drew a big round of applause when he identified himself by saying, "This is the next president of the United States."[/Q]

[Q]Kerry, noting that the Democratic convention is headed to Boston this summer, addressed Romney directly, saying, "Hey, Mitt, by the way, I understand you're interested in our convention and I just wanted to give you a heads up. We do not want you to steer the concessions contract to Halliburton."

Then to Democratic Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, Kerry said, "Mr. Mayor, just say no, we refuse to pay $163 for a bag of popcorn."[/Q]

[Q]"I woke up in Iowa and my staff walked in and they said it was down to five the night before and I thought they meant the temperature and it turns out it was my poll numbers," Kerry said.

He also poked fun at himself over the controversy about his talks with other leaders.

"I've been told by a lot of foreign leprechauns they want me to win."

"Can you name them?" asked state Sen. Jack Hart, D-Boston, the host of the event.

"Not on your life," Kerry replied.[/Q]

Other Comments:

[Q]"We have two rules," Hart said, turning to Romney. "The first rule is say nothing bad about the Irish. The second rule is say nothing good about you."

Finneran, poking fun at Healey's low profile in state politics, told her she should have stayed on vacation in Florida. "Nobody knew you were missing anyways," he said.

The breakfast featured live Irish music; a stirring rendition of "Danny Boy" by Rep. Marie St. Fleur, D-Boston; and a chorus of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" featuring 10 members of the Boston Bruins, led by defenseman Hal Gill.

"Some people say Kerry is a left-winger," Gill said. "But I have played with him and he also plays right wing and some center."[/Q]

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2939257/detail.html

Last edited:
I don't think that Romney was really perceived as a "carpetbagger," per se. I really don't like him, though, because he definitely isn't a New England Republican, who are, in the words of Ann Coulter, "elitist Democrats." Well, fuck Ann. I'll take the likes of Gov. Pataki, Mayor Bloomberg (NY), and Sens. Olympia Snowe (ME) and Lincoln Chafee (RI) over that asshole Romney anyday.

Melon

Self-effacing humor in generally is well received. But this is an election year, so everything gets higher scrutiny and is subject to hyperbole.

nbcrusader said:
Self-effacing humor in generally is well received. But this is an election year, so everything gets higher scrutiny and is subject to hyperbole.

I think this goes beyond self-effacing humor. But I had friends and loved ones that risked their lives over there because they thought there were WMDs, I'm livid that he would make light of something like that. I've seen comedians all over the nation make jokes about how we won't ever find WMDs and I've seen some of them booed. But now the man does it himself and the right says "it's just a joke".

The joke is this administration.

Whereas I would have liked to have seen the photos and laugh at himself in those. I thought the incorporation of WMDs and the Fab 5 were in bad taste. Haha let's laugh at the fact that I told you we were going to war because of this, but really it wasn't, and oh yeah let me laugh at five of the guys I'm denying rights to. :|

The WMD played a small part in a series of jokes about himself, his administration and the upcomming election. Of course, the CNN piece does not give the context of the speech, or show how the speech was not one long joke about WMD.

Thank you for posting the transcript. It underscores the need to go beyond the headlines to find the truth.

This is like the "outrage" over the GWB ad that included images of 9-11. Headlines screamed of a "flood" of criticism. But if you read all the articles, all you find are the same 10-12 people making statements, some of who already had an anti-Bush agenda. This context was missing from the stories.

If we are going to get indignant over every political joke of questionable taste told at partisan fund-raisers or traditional "roasts" - it will be a long campaign indeed.

Back
Top Bottom