Has Hollywood Gone Too Far With DVD Control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're like trying to crack a walnut sometimes... You're just not getting the point. If the STUDIO found a market, not some outsider who wants to project their views illegally.

Clean Films is doing it with much success, and have been since 2002. So, it's obvious there is a market. These entire 4 years, has Universal even attempted to seize the maket by distributing their own "family-friendly" versions? No. That should tell you that they're not interested in the market which clearly exists.

I'll stay away from the insults and condescending remarks; one of us has to.

80sU2isBest said:
These entire 4 years, has Universal even attempted to seize the maket by distributing their own "family-friendly" versions? No. That should tell you that they're not interested in the market which clearly exists.

So?

Why do they have to be interested in this market?

I'm asking it as a serious question. If I made a movie and somebody didn't want to buy it because there was swearing or sex, too bad. Don't buy it.

If Universal is losing money, that's their prerogative. If Universal doesn't think editing out the Lord's name is necessary or important, that's their prerogative. If Universal doesn't care that they'll lose $20 because you won't buy a movie, that's their prerogative.

What's the problem here?

IT IS ILLEGAL

they are messing with someone else's (copy)RIGHTS

:drool:

since when has it become legal to mess with someone else's rights just because there's a market for it?

anitram said:

So?

Why do they have to be interested in this market?

I'm asking it as a serious question. If I made a movie and somebody didn't want to buy it because there was swearing or sex, too bad. Don't buy it.

If Universal is losing money, that's their prerogative. If Universal doesn't think editing out the Lord's name is necessary or important, that's their prerogative. If Universal doesn't care that they'll lose $20 because you won't buy a movie, that's their prerogative.

What's the problem here?

Someone said that the studios would find the market and do it themselves. I simply pointed out that there was already a market but they didn't do anything about it, which shows they aren't interested in the market.

Salome said:
IT IS ILLEGAL

they are messing with someone else's (copy)RIGHTS

since when has it become legal to mess with someone else's rights just because there's a market for it?

Look, the judge may have decided that Clean Films actions didn't fall within Fair Use, but there were previous Fair Use cases that could be seen as supporting Clean Films, so it's not as cut and dried as you think.

The point we already covered here is that the studio is getting paid their full asking price for the movie. It is not a matter of "stealing".

you asked me about music on the internet though

and it might not be stealing but it is tempering with someone elses rights
and whether it's cut and dried or not, it makes sense for a judge to protect someone elses rights

80sU2isBest said:

Someone said that the studios would find the market and do it themselves. I simply pointed out that there was already a market but they didn't do anything about it, which shows they aren't interested in the market.

the studios are ignoring this market because they are atheists who hate christians.

Irvine511 said:
you keep insisting that there's subtext, that people in here would object more to "Clean Films" than to the RIAA, so i thought i'd tease out the subtext you're looking for.

I raised a question once earlier which maycocksean addressed a couple of pages ago.

As for this, there seems to be a couple of issues jumping around.

1. Legal issue of copyright violation. A narrow, technical issue that Clean Films does not have the right to alter the movie, even though they aleady purchased the movie. I question the standing to make that a primary issue considering the amount of copyright violation that occurs and is accepted by the members of this forum.

2. Ethical issue regarding an artists' work. 80's has addressed this in great detail in discussion with other members. Again, I bet we frequently alter to art of others to fit our own personal preferences.

3. Other objections to Clean Films? On what other basis do people object to the editing of films to meet a viewer's preference?

Irvine511 said:

the studios are ignoring this market because they are atheists who hate christians.
hmm, I don't know

when I showed them my homo-erotic edit of The Passion of the Christ (with more passion and less christ) they didn't seem to impressed either

nbcrusader said:
1. Legal issue of copyright violation. A narrow, technical issue that Clean Films does not have the right to alter the movie, even though they aleady purchased the movie. I question the standing to make that a primary issue considering the amount of copyright violation that occurs and is accepted by the members of this forum.
if members of this forum think that copyright violation is acceptable and they get arrested because of copyright violation they will get prosecuted and fined and/or jailed
because it is illegal
illegal?
yes illegal

nbcrusader said:
2. Ethical issue regarding an artists' work. 80's has addressed this in great detail in discussion with other members. Again, I bet we frequently alter to art of others to fit our own personal preferences.
if this art is protected by copyrights and the artist finds out we altered it and decided to sue the one who altered it will be prosecuted and fined and/or jailed
because it is illegal
illegal?
yes illegal

nbcrusader said:
3. Other objections to Clean Films? On what other basis do people object to the editing of films to meet a viewer's preference?
no objections at all as long as it is in agreement with however owns the copyrights
because otherwise it is illegal
illegal?
yes illegal

Irvine511 said:

Nope, because they are self-important and egotistical and hate the Judeo/Christian value system.

Salome said:
hmm, I don't know

when I showed them my homo-erotic edit of The Passion of the Christ (with more passion and less christ) they didn't seem to impressed either

you needed to edit it to make it any more homoerotic?

as christopher hitchens wrote:

[q]A FEW years ago, Mel Gibson got himself into an argument after uttering a series of crude remarks that were hostile to homosexuals.

Now he has made a film that principally appeals to the gay Christian sado-masochistic community: a niche market that hasn't been sufficiently exploited.

If you like seeing handsome young men stripped and tied up and flayed with whips, The Passion Of The Christ is the movie for you.
[/q]

80sU2isBest said:

Nope, because they are self-important and egotistical and hate the Judeo/Christian value system.

Is this the real issue behind your upset?

And whose Judeo/Christian value system? Most Christians don't seem to share yours since they're apparently happy enough to buy their unedited versions of all these films. I'd venture a guess not that many Jews do either, certainly none of the ones I know.

Irvine511 said:

you needed to edit it to make it any more homoerotic?

as christopher hitchens wrote:

[q]A FEW years ago, Mel Gibson got himself into an argument after uttering a series of crude remarks that were hostile to homosexuals.

Now he has made a film that principally appeals to the gay Christian sado-masochistic community: a niche market that hasn't been sufficiently exploited.

If you like seeing handsome young men stripped and tied up and flayed with whips, The Passion Of The Christ is the movie for you.
[/q]
:lol:

my version is indeed just stripping men and whipping

I editted the other bits that I feel uncomfortable seeing

my target audience will be pleased
let's make lots of money

Salome said:
:lol:

my version is indeed just stripping men and whipping

I editted the other bits that I feel uncomfortable seeing

my target audience will be pleased
let's make lots of money

oh, i'd much rather see men stripping other men than have to sit through 2 hours of raunchy gore and orgasmic spurts of blood that passed as a "movie."

anitram said:

Is this the real issue behind your upset?

I won't deny my disdain for Hollywood. I've hated it for years.

In this particular case, what upsets me is that Hollywood wants to control how we watch their movies. That is why they raise a big stink over this issue and why they are willing to lose sales. They call it "protecting artistic integrity". I call it egotism from self-important jerks who think their views are so meaningful and superior that if you don't embrace them, you're a dumb hopeless clod.

anitram said:

And whose Judeo/Christian value system? Most Christians don't seem to share yours since they're apparently happy enough to buy their unedited versions of all these films.

Most Christians that I know are not happy with the swearing, sex and gory violence that Hollywood shoves into their movies.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad we all got around to finally acknowledging the "subtext" that's been here from the very first post. This isn't really about legal and illegal. . .as some have already pointed out, most of us have engaged in copywrite violation actions at leat once especially in regards to music. I find that in general, those with actual working ties to the arts (like BVS for example) tend to take the legalities the most seriously because it hits home for them. Many of us tend to, wrongly or rightly, write off these issues as "not a big deal." So I understand why nbc questioned so many people suddenly becoming concerned with the "letter of the law."

Here's what I think is really going on:

I think Hollywood has an issue with Clean Films, not just because of the failure to gain permission, but because they would not have been granted permission even if they asked. Hollywood is willing to allow a certain amount of editing for the needs of companies like the airlines and TV stations. The studios, as much as they like to make a buck, are not going to want to work with an organization like Clean Films that I'm going to guess takes the editing process to what they view as extreme levels. Case in point is the King Kong movie that 80's bought. This movie edited out all uses of the Lord's name in vain. I think the studios as well as the writers/directors would object to this level of editing. I think so because as an aspiring writer myself, I can understand the objection. I, personally, don't use God's name as a curse word. Ever. I'm more likely to use standard obscenities than to ever use God's name. However, in writing fiction, I have occasionally used God's name in this way when it would best reflect my fictional characters. For me, my stories have to be real and sometimes that involves language, actions etc that I myself do not use or endorse. As a writer, I would object to someone taking out those words, and thus sanitizing and making less real a character I hadn't intended to sanitize.

My hunch is that the level of editing that Clean Films is beyond that which the studios would authorize, not least because the artists that work for the studios would raise a great hue and cry about the extent to which their work was being mangled. They already have to accept a certain amount of mangling with the studios final edit and then the TV/airline versions. I don't think they'd be eager to accept more.

I think Muggsy has done an excellent job of articulating the artists point of view. Her point is a good one. If you don't like the artists vision, why on earth would you buy the artist's product? What Clean Films does may be viewed as a disrespect to the artists (legalities aside). And I think she's right. If Christians don't like what Hollywood is putting out (and I'll say that I don't like a lot of what they put out) then you have two choices. You can either not watch movies at all (that was the traditional standard of my denom. When I was a kid, going to movies was like a sin!). Or start working to put out movies of your own that meet your standards instead of screwing up someone elses. Heck, the Mormons have done it--and even successfully (see "The Other Side of Heaven" and "Napoleon Dynamite"). Evangelical Christians can do the same. I'm trying to do it myself with the film and TV projects I'm pursuing (though I'm not sure that all of my visions would fit with all conservative Christians view of what's appropriate. I take what I call the "Biblical" approach to sex and violence. I don't have a problem with either per se. I do have a problem with the exploitation and sensationalization of both).

maycocksean said:
I, personally, don't use God's name as a curse word. Ever. I'm more likely to use standard obscenities than to ever use God's name. However, in writing fiction, I have occasionally used God's name in this way when it would best reflect my fictional characters. For me, my stories have to be real and sometimes that involves language, actions etc that I myself do not use or endorse. As a writer, I would object to someone taking out those words, and thus sanitizing and making less real a character I hadn't intended to sanitize.

I'm a writer, also, and I have never written a character using the Lord's name in vain. Not even when the characters are very angry. There are other ways that people express their anger that do not involve the Lord's name in vain. Using one of these in place of the Lord's name in vain detracts nothing from realism. Exclamatory words do indeed add to a movie's realism, but they don't have to be offensive words.

Have you ever walked out of a movie in which the Lord's name wasn't used in vain and said "You know, that movie would have been more realistic if the Lord's name had been used in vain"? Ever? I seriously doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom