Has anyone followed the case of Tim Flannery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hank Bulger

Babyface
Hey there everyone , I'm new here and an Aussie who is a little concerned about our countries water and global warming. I don't know if anyone else has paid attention, but I think the reason that John Howard awarded Dr. Tim Flannery his Australian of the Year award was no doubt for the sole reason that Howard hoped he'd keep quiet.

I figure Johnny thought "if I give this bloke an award, maybe he'll shut up about global warming and I can continue to shove the issue under the carpet". And then he said that he wouldn't be backing down, and now he is threatening to give back his award because Howard has not done a single thing to help. It's amazing.

Any other thoughts?

How much say does Johnny have in deciding who wins Aussie of the Year? Isn't there some kind of panel?

If Johnny does have the final say, it would be more likely that it was a token gesture to make Johnny look as if he is fully behind countering "global warming".

Silly award anyway, Aussie of the Year...

Hope Flannery does give it back...

From what i've heard Flannery can be a bit of an obnoxious arse and he does seem to raise the bar on global warming very high; if anything the notoriety of having somebody announcing that we should shutdown the coal industry overnight and putting that in the debate as part of the green agenda helps to coalition. But as both a palaeontologist and one who sees the role of nuclear in reducing carbon emissions he is better than the greens.

Back
Top Bottom