Has anyone been to see "Here is New York" place?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Last night, I saw a documentary on British TV called "Here is New York" about a remarkable exhibition located just round the corner from Ground Zero.

The documentary charts the beginnings of the exhibition (this exhibition is actually started and done by volunteers), the moving interviews of those who were photographed and amateur/professional photographers who took the original pictures. I must say that it was great to know that it started with a few volunteers with just a few photos and then over the next 11 months it grew by a phenomenal rate with photos given by people from all walks of life. Likewise, the exhibition was seen by so many people from all walks of life and they call it, in its unique way, the "democracy of photography".

Its also enlightening to know that money raised from sales of photos are given to kids who are affected by 9/11.

What the documentary also shows is the negative side of New York, the sheer stupidity of selling tacky stuff like a toy of a policeman with a trumpet singing "God Bless America", the tourists who just come to gawk at Ground Zero and say they've been there! Jesus, thats not what I want to see but sadly thats the force of commercial profits! I was really disgusted about it! :shame:

Happily and thankfully, "Here is New York" has none of that tackiness and its certainly not macabre either but something that helps put things into perspective for those who were there and for those who werent the very kind of things that make us all human: bravery, compassion, kindness towards one another despite the terrible events on 9/11.

I read that the exhibition is gonna be shown here in London from this Wednesday onwards. I think I will go and see it for myself but im not sure if I should cos I would just get too emotional. Has anyone been to it in New York or anywhere else? If you did, would you say I should go and see it?

dougal

i saw it when it in chicago. it is very tastefully done. i would recommend it. it's very moving and sad, of course, but classy. like you said, it's not macabre or tacky. it's amazing to see the event from so many points of view.

have you checked out the website - www.hereisnewyork.org ? it will give you an idea of what you would see if you went.

i'd go and check it out. i really thought it was worth it and i'm glad i did.

Last edited:
I'll be heading down tomorrow to see the exhibit at a gallery near my office. and if you can't see the exhibit go to hereisnewyork.org. Some of the photos are insane and alot of them I haven't seen in most media outlets.

i heard about that and i saw the photos on the website. they're remarkable.. really something else. some of the best documentary photography i've seen of sept. 11.

how was the exhibit?
i would love to see them in person one day myself.

I was not a huge fan...

I think they also have a book of their photographs now too...

(it is nowhere near Ground Zero BTW)

I saw it twice once with a friend and once on my own. I thought they had interesting pictures especially those taken by amateurs but on the other hand I thought that those two rooms were just plastered too full with pictures. It reminded me onf all the posters of missing people. Go and see it, it is worth seeing but I think in some ways they could have shown more of the 'other New Yorks" as they put it.

AJoey

I have not seen the exhibition but I have looked through the book made up of some of the photgraphs (prompted by an assignment for my senior seminar). The pictures were extremely moving of course. Some people look at photographs for healing and some go to remember. Others would rather not look at all. All in all I would say that it did capture the many different emotions and actions of that day and the weeks atht followed.

Back
Top Bottom