Happy Hannukah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
menorah.gif

I thought the candle stick of the Jews (forgive the expression, I don't know any other way) had 7 arms?

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
I thought the candle stick of the Jews (forgive the expression, I don't know any other way) had 7 arms?

DrTeeth:

The historical Menorah that resided year-round in the early temples had 7 candles, but after the destruction of those temples, they decided to start anew, including doing away with the 7-candle menorah. Some 6-candle menorahs surfaced, but more recently rabbis have gradually gone back to the 7-candled menorah (for year-round use).

The 9-CANDLE menorah of Hannukah represented the 1-day supply of oil which miraculously fueled the Maccabbees' temple candelabrum for 8 days, and has a 9th candle at a different height known as a shammus, or servant candle, used to light each of the other 8.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by u2valleygirl:
I thought Hanukah started on the 10th.

CRUD!

You are right (partially), u2valleygirl! It actually starts on the evening of the 9th. My generic calendar lists December 6, but it ALSO lists December 9, as does the Hebrew Calendar; maybe the 6th was a misprint? I'll never trust my secular sources again.

~U2Alabama

You're welcome, DrTeeth & Adam_Clayton's_Mistress!

Here's a photo of the lighting of the National Menorah in Washington, D.C.:

capt.1007940670menorah_lighting_wx120.jpg

Shalom!

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 12-10-2001).]

Happy Channuka. Or Hannuka, whatever. But happy none the less.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

Back
Top Bottom