Happy Easter, Now Apologize for the Crusades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bcrt2000 said:

First of all everyone who had power was not brutal, only the ones we read of in the history books because the worst rulers are always the ones that people remember.

And I know that its a fact Jesus never killed anyone, and I also believe in Jesus, but as a prophet. Jesus was a man of incredible intellect and he used that to the best of his ability to spark a cultural/spiritual uprising. But there are many prophets who came before Jesus who were not like Jesus, so you cannot look down upon Muslims because of that fact.

Secondly you have a misconception about the spread of Islam. Islam was not spread by people forcing their ways over others and killing people if they did not obey. The Muslim empire grew and grew but the Muslim leaders left the governments and institutions that already existed in the places the conquered mainly intact for the reason that the empire was too big to micromanage, and that it would be very hard to enforce your rule on others without social unrest. Islam spread very slowly through people converting over generations, it didn't happen over night as some might lead you to believe. That being said there have been Muslims rulers here and there who were unjust, but that is true about every era and every religion.

how the turks were converted is pretty interesting. arabs were, for some reason, fighting against our biggest enemies in the middle asia, chinese, and our clans decided to help them out, then they were like 'yeah cool. youve got this religion thing going on, nice, we might as well join you, itll be a good ride'

the funny thing is when turks came to asia minor, they ran into these arabs, who were quite happy that we decided to live in asia minor cause the byzantine empire was there at the time. so turks were occasionally hired to protect arabian cities and what not. more conversions.

That's interesting, none of my sources really shed any light on *why* the Turks became Muslims. They just say that the Seljuks "adopted" Islam, this was very historic because it created a new Islamic nationality, but none of my sources say anything about the conversion.

deep said:

That would be Paul.

Previously called Saul, who was not rightous and I think he killed people.

I wouldn't call Paul the founder of Christianity, but the "spreader". I'd have to give founding credit to Jesus. Actually "Saul" persecuted early Christians. I'm not sure that means he killed them, but maybe he did. In any case, he certainly didn't kill anyone after his conversion.

verte76 said:
That's interesting, none of my sources really shed any light on *why* the Turks became Muslims. They just say that the Seljuks "adopted" Islam, this was very historic because it created a new Islamic nationality, but none of my sources say anything about the conversion.

even before seljuks came to asia minor, some of the turks had already became muslims. especially after they arrived, they were in constant interaction with arabs, and arabs thought they could use a buffer zone between the byzantine empire and themselves.

moreover, turks' original religion was monotheist as well, so presumably they were easy converts.

drhark said:

Actually "Saul" persecuted early Christians. I'm not sure that means he killed them, but maybe he did.

Saul, before his conversion, was a prominant leader in a group of persecutors who often would kill Christians. For example, check out Acts 7:54-8:3, where Paul oversees and "approves" of the murdering of Stephen.

But I agree with you drhark, the credit for the beginning of Christiany would have to be Christ. But Paul certainly did play a major role in its spread.

Happy Easter.

JeffD

take this soul, and make it sing.

I don't think Christianity began until after Jesus died.

Many call Paul the founder.

James, Jesus' brother and Peter might better be called Messianic Jews.

I do believe it is fair to call Jesus

The Prince of Peace.

Back
Top Bottom