Happy 226th Birthday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Happy birthday, America.

From the beginning, you have acknowledged the Creator of all men; the Supreme Judge of the World; divine Providence; God.

May you continue to do so, and continue to receive His blessings.

Achtung Bubba said:

From the beginning, you have acknowledged the Creator of all men; the Supreme Judge of the World; divine Providence; God.

May you continue to do so, and continue to receive His blessings.

[I'm not asking this question to be rude or sarcastic, I'm just curious about your opinion on this subject.]

Does your post mean that you believe the US as a country has been blessed by God? And if so, then do you believe it's only the US which has been blessed in this way, or have other countries also?

Again - I'm not trying to stir up controversy, I'd just like to hear your opinion on this issue. Thanks :)

Achtung Bubba said:

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States...

Happy birthday, America.

Cheers to the next 226!!

woo hoo! Happy Birthday America!

thanks for that Bubba = great post. I needed to read that again!

Fizzy, YES, I think that's precisely what it means. Think about how much we have, how FAR we've come in just over 200 years!!! That's a phenomenal feat for *any* society. Most other countries took centuries to get where they are today, and others are no further ahead economically, socially or governmentally than they were one or two hundred years ago (or more). I could go into a LOT more about this, but I believe our country has been blessed by God - I'm not sure why, God surely has His reasons, but I feel those blessings are starting to come to an end, you can see it in what our society has become....but no one seems to be paying attention. It's sad. As George Bush is himself a God-fearing man, I feel we will still be blessed while he's leading the country, but I am already wondering about the next President, and where he or she might lead the country....

just my 2 cents...

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Does your post mean that you believe the US as a country has been blessed by God? And if so, then do you believe it's only the US which has been blessed in this way, or have other countries also?

Again - I'm not trying to stir up controversy, I'd just like to hear your opinion on this issue. Thanks :)

alright, I didn't want to say anything before, despite this thread having a very clear agenda (unfortunately), which is related to what's transpired the last few days here at FYM, and it's even more unfortunate that people feel this way (that somehow Americans are the "chosen ones" of God); I mean I'm sure God looked on with a warm feeling about the treatment of slaves and the treatment of Native Americans, and I could go on... but the point of today is that despite the presence of undeniable faults -- in past, present and undoubtedly the future -- there are also so many things that are good about this country, and this thread didn't need to be about the petty arguments that are so quickly being introduced (which Bubba did indeed initiate with his concluding statement)

so I will say once again...

Thank You, America

Happy Birthday! :)

The Wanderer said:
this thread didn't need to be about the petty arguments that are so quickly being introduced (which Bubba did indeed initiate with his concluding statement)

I'm sorry if people feel I'm to blame for any 'petty arguments' which have been brought into this thread. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have posted my question, but it wasn't asked in order to initiate any kind of argument. I do apologise if anyone thinks it's caused a problem though - that wasn't my intention.

The Wanderer said:
it's even more unfortunate that people feel this way (that somehow Americans are the "chosen ones" of God)

It makes me enjoy my John Adams quote all the more.

But I'd be a liar if I didn't say that, despite all the inherent imperfections, I'm attached to America and all its diversity. Indeed, here's to another 226 years.

Melon

no, it's not a big deal, FW

and I think it was Bubba who initiated that sort of response with what he said at the end of his post, which permeated with a certain smugness that I'm sure was directed at a particualr sect of individuals here, anyway, now I'll be sited for leading this thread astray or something, so I'll let all of you do with it as you please

and yes indeed, melon, here's to another 226!

Happy Independece Day, America! :)

Last edited:
Melon,

John Adams signed the thing didn't he?

History, it turns out, is a bit more complex than any isolated quote could ever show. This is especially true for historical figures and even more so for whole groups of them like the men who formed our nation. Taking a quote out of the context of a man's life and using it to prove a favorite historical theory does a great diservice both to him and history he helped to shape.

To all,

Yes, Happy Birthday America.

You weren't supposed to survive the worst attack ever on your soil. The terrorists thought they were sending a killing blow down on a weak and corrupt society ready for collapse.

Now they know what your made of. Who would think you could recover so quickly from such an abomination. Who would have thought then that we would still have so much to enjoy and celebrate on this day.

You are truly a unique nation and far tougher than the rest of the world will ever know. May you live forever and may you continue to be The Big Dawg for ages to come.

Last edited:
Whizbees:

In response to your questions, yes, I do believe that this country has been blessed by God Almighty.

Look at the advances in civil liberties. The Wanderer is right: our record as a nation is nowhere near perfect, but no nation's record is. And our record as a people has been a struggle to cast the net of freedom wider, not to contract that net. Two centuries ago, you had to be a white male landowner to vote; now, race, sex, and property simply do not matter. Have we further to go? Probably, but we ARE moving in the right direction.

Look at the political stability. Every four or eight years, we have an incredible change in leadership, and not ONCE in 200+ years has that change been violent. Our system was tested severely in the 2000 election, and the system passed the test with flying colors.

Look at the advances in technology. The telephone, light bulb, automobile, airplane, and computer have ALL come from the ingenious minds and hands of Americans. In less than two hundred years, a country that started as a loosely knit band of Atlantic coast states managed to land human beings on the MOON.

Look at the natural splendor of our nation: Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, the Alaskan wilderness, the Hawaiian beaches.

Look at the immigration that has been pouring INTO this nation in two centuries. From Europeans in the 19th century to Asians today, people have been risking their entire pasts for a future in this country. Would people be flocking here if we were not blessed?

Look at the type of people we have: we have people - professional and otherwise - who risked their lives to save others on the morning of September 11th, 2001; many who risked their lives lost them that morning. We have others who knew their flight was doomed and decided to do the hard, CORRECT thing and resist their hijackers. And we have had countless others giver their time, money, and blood to help those in need.

Finally, look at the amount of freedom we enjoy. Regardless of his race or background, a man is free to make a living in almost any way he sees fit; if he wants to work for himself, he can. The money he makes, he can spend however he likes. During his free time, he can keep up with the political mechanism governing his country, comment on it in ANY way he wants, and vote to have new leadership if he so desires. Then, on the weekend, he can attend whatever church he likes - some so similar that their only difference is the hymns they sing, some so different that they worship entirely different gods - or he can choose to sleep in and watch a game of football or baseball on TV. While many others on this planet enjoy some of the same freedoms, very few enjoy all of them the way we do, and to the degree that we do.

Blessed? Absolutely.

Have other countries been blessed as well? Of course. My faith teaches me two things: that God brings sunshine and rain upon the righteous AND the wicked; and that God does bless those who are faithful to him. We have done wrong in the past (slavery), and we have suffered for our transgressions (the Civil War). But we have also championed the common man and stood up against some very evil totalitarians; I believe God has blessed us in those endeavors.

The Wanderer:

I'm not sure that my having a clear agenda is an unfortunate thing - at least, it's no worse than the root cause the led to the agenda. The comment I made would have been unnecessary were it not for the events of the last week.

And, I believe that, while we should focus on universal truths, we should not do so at the expense of the moment: the Declaration of Independence itself was in no small part a list of very specific grievances against England. And we would be wise to remember that we are in a war against terrorists who wish to kill as many Americans as we can - and that we are in the midst of a "culture war" in which some people are suggesting that nearly EVERYTHING that is distinctly American is immoral because it invokes the name of the Almighty.

And, ultimately, America is NOT God's chosen people. (Biblically speaking, that would be Israel.) But we are a people who have chosen God. I believe we should continue to do so.

Achtung Bubba said:
Look at the advances in civil liberties... And our record as a people has been a struggle to cast the net of freedom wider, not to contract that net. Two centuries ago, you had to be a white male landowner to vote; now, race, sex, and property simply do not matter. Have we further to go? Probably, but we ARE moving in the right direction.

Look at the political stability. Every four or eight years, we have an incredible change in leadership, and not ONCE in 200+ years has that change been violent. Our system was tested severely in the 2000 election, and the system passed the test with flying colors.

Look at the advances in technology. The telephone, light bulb, automobile, airplane, and computer have ALL come from the ingenious minds and hands of Americans. In less than two hundred years, a country that started as a loosely knit band of Atlantic coast states managed to land human beings on the MOON.

Look at the natural splendor of our nation: Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, the Alaskan wilderness, the Hawaiian beaches.

Look at the immigration that has been pouring INTO this nation in two centuries. From Europeans in the 19th century to Asians today, people have been risking their entire pasts for a future in this country. Would people be flocking here if we were not blessed?

Look at the type of people we have: we have people - professional and otherwise - who risked their lives to save others on the morning of September 11th, 2001; many who risked their lives lost them that morning. We have others who knew their flight was doomed and decided to do the hard, CORRECT thing and resist their hijackers. And we have had countless others giver their time, money, and blood to help those in need.

Finally, look at the amount of freedom we enjoy. Regardless of his race or background, a man is free to make a living in almost any way he sees fit; if he wants to work for himself, he can. The money he makes, he can spend however he likes. During his free time, he can keep up with the political mechanism governing his country, comment on it in ANY way he wants, and vote to have new leadership if he so desires. Then, on the weekend, he can attend whatever church he likes - some so similar that their only difference is the hymns they sing, some so different that they worship entirely different gods - or he can choose to sleep in and watch a game of football or baseball on TV. While many others on this planet enjoy some of the same freedoms, very few enjoy all of them the way we do, and to the degree that we do.

Blessed? Absolutely.

blessed indeed, what I've outlined here is you at your very best, Bubba, at least in my eyes, and I was merely expressing my disappointment in this thread turning towards something else

Then may GOD Bless us all who read this, and empower us with the desire to help those we have to help. Ourselves and others too, spread the feeling and continue the blessing. All flags fly the same in my dream. I love it where I am, respect where I'm not, wish it were the same all the way over. Then I could drop my weapon(s) and bask in the flowers that they told me have grown. And smell the air without panick which is unknown.

As Americans celebrate the blessings God has showered upon our nation, we must also harken to the sobering words of U2 (which are no doubt lifted from the Bible):

October
And kingdoms rise
And kingdoms fall
But you go on...

Enjoy and appreciate what you have now...it may not be around forever.

Achtung Bubba said:
The telephone, light bulb, automobile, airplane, and computer have ALL come from the ingenious minds and hands of Americans. In less than two hundred years, a country that started as a loosely knit band of Atlantic coast states managed to land human beings on the MOON.

The telephone was invented by a Scottish born Canadian - Alexander Graham Bell. Even if you accept that Reis originally came up with the concept, he's still German, not American.

Sorry, but Bell's kinda big up here in the great North, ;), and I couldn't let this go.

I suppose I stand corrected, but the United States has at least a partial share in the invention of the telephone.

From alexandergrahambell.org/:

In 1872 he took up his residence in the United States, introducing with success his father's system of deaf-mute instruction, and became professor of vocal physiology in Boston University. He had been interested for many years in the transmission of sound by electricity, and had devised many forms of apparatus for the purpose, but the first public exhibition of his invention was at Philadelphia in 1876. Its complete success has made him wealthy. His invention of the "photophone," in which a vibratory beam of light is substituted for a wire in conveying speech, has also attracted much attention, but has never been practically used. It was first described by him before the American association for the advancement of science in Boston, 27 August 1880.

Also:

Bell always said that the telephone was conceived in Brantford, Ontario and born in Boston, Massachusetts.

At any rate, the fact remains that many of the greatest inventions of the last two centuries were the handiwork of Americans. Many other inventors, scientists, and artists worked with their American contemporaries. Even Albert Einstein, who did the bulk of his work in Europe, died as an American.

Achtung Bubba said:
Even Albert Einstein, who did the bulk of his work in Europe, died as an American.

If USA don't remain what it is in a thousand years, this is in my opinion for what it will be remembered, as the place where it was FREE TO THINK, TO CREATE AND TO BELIEVE, specially in times when people were persecuted for this in other parts of the world, lets hope America never lose the hability to allow diversity.

Back
Top Bottom