HALF of polled Americans still believe Iraq had WMD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
OK, seriously, WTF?

From ABC News:

Despite this, a Harris Poll released July 21 found that a full 50 percent of U.S. respondents up from 36 percent last year said they believe Iraq did have the forbidden arms when U.S. troops invaded in March 2003, an attack whose stated purpose was elimination of supposed WMD. Other polls also have found an enduring American faith in the WMD story.

"I'm flabbergasted," said Michael Massing, a media critic whose writings dissected the largely unquestioning U.S. news reporting on the Bush administration's shaky WMD claims in 2002-03.

"This finding just has to cause despair among those of us who hope for an informed public able to draw reasonable conclusions based on evidence," Massing said.

It means apparently half of Americans are stupid. :|

If I can find it....

The Boston Herald had a poll about two weeks ago that indicated before the war 35% of the Herald readers believed Iraq had WMD. Currently 65% believe we found them.

My wife showed it to me at the airport.

Dreadsox said:
If I can find it....

The Boston Herald had a poll about two weeks ago that indicated before the war 35% of the Herald readers believed Iraq had WMD. Currently 65% believe we found them.

My wife showed it to me at the airport.

65% ?!?!!?!??!?!? :banghead:

You have got to be kidding!:rant:

U2democrat said:
:scream::banghead:

Does ANYBODY care enough to inform themselves these days from news other than Entertainment Tonight??? :rant:

Fox News? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Disney Resorts do not carry FOX news....MSNBC and CNN are apparently OK though...hehe!!!

indra said:
It means apparently half of Americans are stupid. :|

I believe that Iraq did not have them at the time of the invasion. I believe that they got rid of them in the 2 or 3 weeks leading up to the war - heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to Syria they go. I do realize that is close enough to the views of the 50% in the poll to qualify me as stupid in your eyes. But hey, I would be surprised and disappointed if I did agree with you on anything.

80sU2isBest said:

I believe that Iraq did not have them at the time of the invasion. I believe that they got rid of them in the 2 or 3 weeks leading up to the war - heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to Syria they go.

I can believe E.T. is coming home for dinner but without any solid evidence, that's just a fairy tale.

I also have a belief that Saddam smuggled what little he did have out.

I do not believe the intelligence agencies of Germany, France, and the UK could be so wrong on their own intelligence.

I am discounting the US intelligence because I cannot trust them.

But if you believe that he had "little" left, then the intelligence agencies of those countries were at least partially incorrect, because two things cannot be true at the same time when they are mutually exclusive. If they are partially incorrect, can one not then reasonably assume they were completely incorrect?

I am not particularly familiar with them the way you are. Whereas this US administration is concerned, I don't trust them as far as I can spit.

anitram said:
I am not particularly familiar with them the way you are. Whereas this US administration is concerned, I don't trust them as far as I can spit.

If you discount the lies of this administration and look at say the UN reports alone....

It was impossible to believe he had nothing before the war...

I am thinking he had little left because of the fact that there has been little found and I find it difficult to believe he got what the UN thought he had out of the country.

:|

Angela Harlem said:

That's uncharacteristically rude of you, 80s.

It was extremely rude of Indra to call the people who didn't agree with him on the WMD issue "stupid". Why didn't you get onto Indra for that remark?

Dreadsox said:
I also have a belief that Saddam smuggled what little he did have out.

I do not believe the intelligence agencies of Germany, France, and the UK could be so wrong on their own intelligence.

I am discounting the US intelligence because I cannot trust them.

That's exactly how I see it, Dread.

anitram said:

I can believe E.T. is coming home for dinner but without any solid evidence, that's just a fairy tale.

Anitram, surely you are aware by now that Charles Duelfer himself, he who wrote the Iraq Security report of which teh article speaks, said that in the weeks before the invasion, large trucks were spotted by satellite carrying large "unknown material" from Iraq to Syria, and that he couldn't rule out the possibility that the "unknown material" were WMD.

anitram said:

All those trucks heading off to Syria before the war, the history of Iraq sending it's fighter aircraft our of the country or burying them during the first GUlf War are both lines of evidence to that effect. The allegations by the former Iraqi Air Forces commander that the WMD had been shipped off to Syria is a bit more along those lines.

Saddam Hussein definitely had WMD after the first Gulf War, the bulk of stockpiles were destroyed or expired but he maintained the programs, skilled individuals and the Iraqi government was still looking for supplies of Uranium from Niger (Joseph Wilson's claims do not gel with the British intelligence or the presence of an Iraqi diplomat in the country seeking to open trade links who had been heavily involved in Iraq's dealings on such matters before).

Saying definitively that there were no WMD is a lie (since we have found a few hundred old chemical munitions), saying that Saddam had large stockpiles looks wrong and the truth seems to be that he had relatively little and was using bluff to keep Iran at bay - this strategy was to be done as long as UN sanctions existed.

80sU2isBest said:

It was extremely rude of Indra to call the people who didn't agree with him on the WMD issue "stupid". Why didn't you get onto Indra for that remark?

'She'. I was referring to you biting back. It's uncharacteristic. That's all.

80sU2isBest said:

Anitram, surely you are aware by now that Charles Duelfer himself, he who wrote the Iraq Security report of which teh article speaks, said that in the weeks before the invasion, large trucks were spotted by satellite carrying large "unknown material" from Iraq to Syria, and that he couldn't rule out the possibility that the "unknown material" were WMD.

Yes, except he also said (as per the report), that "ISG judged that it was unlikely that an official transfer of WMD material from Iraq to Syria took place."

Angela Harlem said:

'She'. I was referring to you biting back. It's uncharacteristic. That's all.

I can bite back. I usually don't take such a big bite, but I can bite back. You called it rude, but I don't see it that way - it is the truth; if Indra calls my beliefs stupid, I know that I'm holding true to the values I want to have.

Angela Harlem said:

I could joke and say no, it's the truth, but you've both misunderstood me so I am guessing my joking is not going to be welcomed.
:madspit:

You know Mrs. Dread and I would welcome you anytime!!!!:wink:

80sU2isBest said:

I can bite back. I usually don't take such a big bite, but I can bite back. You called it rude, but I don't see it that way - it is the truth; if Indra calls my beliefs stupid, I know that I'm holding true to the values I want to have.

It's cool, 80s. I dont often see you do so, that's all. :)

Hey dread, did you know I'm a swinger? According to some FYM politics poll, I'm a much loved (by the media) swing voter! Having me visit you guys could be like having a visit from an indecisive schizophrenic outback 'roo burger!

:drool:

I shall refrain from derailing this thread now.
:shifty:

The WMD issue has always been sticky for me and I generally try to avoid thinking about it. I don't know much about these kinds of things and generally follow these stories in the media less than others. All I can say for sure is that my fiance is related to someone who works for the government who was part of this investigation and he always said that theres way more to it than what the media has covered. Personally, I always prefer to err on the side of caution and I would never even consider starting a war unless I had 100% proof that these weapons did in fact exists and were intended to be used against other countries. To date, I'm not really convinced either way.

80sU2isBest said:
if Indra calls my beliefs stupid, I know that I'm holding true to the values I want to have.

That thick dumb dipshit you voted for is, in fact,

The worst president............EVER

the worst entrepreneur........EVER

the worst Harvard MBA grad...........EVER

the worst Christian........................EVER

the worst diplomat........................EVER

the worst drunk.........................................EVER

and the biggest terrorist..............................EVER

(Offended now?)

Back
Top Bottom