had enough of romantic love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every step I have taken in good faith has always betrayed me in the romance department. I have had very frightening and harrowing experiences and I have also been completley toyed with too....:sigh: I have always thought myself to be a romantic and passionate person but each experience has chipped a large chunk of that from me.

I can see evidence of true love in places. But just because it exists, that doesn't mean I'm entitled to it or that it will happen to me.

Valentines Day was a great marketing gimmick, dreamed up by a bunch of cynical old men (or maybe young or maybe women who knows:eyebrow:), who thought it would be another way of getting a quick $ out of the gullible.

Romantic love, that first feeling when you meet someone, when the world seems and cleaner, clearer, brighter, more wonderful place whenever that person is around, is just a bunch of hormones ensuring that the world will continue to be populated by the human race. (Sound cynical - yeah, I am).

Romantic love can last, I believe, if the two people continue to work at it. Work and two people being the operative words.

Long term romantic love is a rare and valuable thing and like most other rare and valuable things, it costs a lot. Many people aren't prepared for the cost.

:hug: Stars, you are more than entitled to it.:yes:

"ahmedadam"... How dare you taint the logo that was elevated to the diety-like status through the wit and eternal wisdom of Achtung Bubba.

I tend to now venture into the Asian Opiod massage joints for my own aspirations of a happy ending to my love life.

However, during the early teens of a young Nostradamus, I used to think there was a certain and solitary love waiting for me with open arms. Now I see it to be the modicum of convenience that it is. Or I could just look to find someone who adores 'Ultraviolet' as much as I do and hope for the best.

.Nostradamus

starsgoblue said:

I can see evidence of true love in places. But just because it exists, that doesn't mean I'm entitled to it or that it will happen to me.

Very well put. I think one has to be happy with themselves overall, because not everyone finds that someone so yeah, you need to be happy being single. And then if love comes along that's great too.

Sheltie said:
I believe in love and one day everyone will find true romantic love.
Also, sex is very different when you are truly in love. Its kinda like an electrical storm.:heart: :heart: :love:

I really dont think that everyone will find it actually.....
the odds are stacked against us in a world where there are so many things to make us bitter and jaded

so ... it's valentine's day.

any one have any more thougths to share on the topic?

O.K., so maybe I should preface this with the fact that i am alone on Valentine's Day for the first time in two years, and that's why this year I feel about Valentine's Day the way some people feel about Christmas. today's overall effect will not foster warm wonderful feelings in that minuscule number of people who happen to be in love this week but to engender depression, jealousy and loneliness in the rest of us who aren't.

why not romantic love? it flatters our narcissism.iIt diverts us with phony adrenaline, teases us with jealousy, hooks us with sex. it is the means by which our genes persuade our bodies to reproduce. it is so diverting that we tend to forget more pressing questions, like what to believe in or strive for.

more important, in a culture in which sex is increasingly divorced from procreation, it gives copulation a new kind of purpose, apart from pleasure. it sacralizes it, dignifies it, elevates it. love, we're told, conquers all.

does it? would all be lost if it didn't?

earthshell said:
i'll be at the bar later tonight. that's all i have to say.

i'll be working late and then pounding out 4 miles on a treadmill.

bet you'll have more fun, though.

I'm single again this year for Valentine's Day. That does kinda bum me out (I attribute it to basically just not having found the right guy for me yet. Well, that, and the fact that my family's moved so much within the last few years that I haven't had enough time to really get to know people all that well), but yet I still refuse to get all cynical about love and romance and all that good stuff, and I think it's quite sad that so many people have gotten so cynical about it all (although, after hearing some of their stories as to why they got that way, I can't say I blame some of them). I've seen evidence of true love from time to time, so I know it can exist out there, and I still hold hope that it'll happen with me someday (and hey, I hope those of you who have been burned by love will find somebody, be it a significant other or even just a friend or family member, who will change all that for you). What can I say, I'm an optimistic person :).

Angela

Valentine's Day is dumb to me whether I'm in a relationship or not. I don't feel happier when I happen to be in a relationship on Valentine's Day, and I don't feel worse about being single on Valentine's Day. It simply doesn't have the psychic power for me that something like Christmas does. It's completely irrelevant to me.

I'm not terribly romantic, though I do think a little romance comes naturally in a healthy relationship. I am definitely suspicious of dating that begins with really heavily romantic overtones. A man doesn't need to wine and dine me and bring me flowers and gifts. He just needs to be consistently real with me and there for me. I like private romance, not the kind that's more for others to see, which strikes me as coming from insecurity about the relationship.

That said, a couple of girlfriends and I had lunch together today and I felt happy just to have good friends.

Back
Top Bottom