Guatemala's treatment of women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I have not. I would like to visit someday. But just because of this documentary does not mean Guatemala or any other country is super dangerous. There are certain areas you don't want to go to. Like take Jingle town in Oakland California. Jingle town is about 5 blocks of high gang area, do you really want to walk that area no.

Good Morning BVS.:wink:

Will this person who is making this documentary also be covering other countries in the world?

Justin24 said:
Good Morning BVS.:wink:

Will this person who is making this documentary also be covering other countries in the world?

I don't know. I don't know their background, maybe they are from Guatemala, and that's why they decided to make this documentary.

But you are missing the point by miles, and you're still taking it far too personal because it's Guatemala.

Justin24 said:
I am not playing favorites, but why not make an article about violence against woman world wide period.

Justin, March is Women's History Month. You can find various articles about women worldwide in ANY publication.

Justin, please calm down and refrain from derailing this thread any further. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, that's fine but let others do so without hassling them.

I am not derailing the thread. I am not telling people not to participate. I am only stating my opinion.

I never said it was perfect Martha. Is America perfect, hell no. I am glad they are pointing out the problems in guatemala. But there are countries off far worse than guatemala. Can you help me with that nerve that's bothering me martha?:wink:

Justin24 said:
No I have not. I would like to visit someday. But just because of this documentary does not mean Guatemala or any other country is super dangerous. There are certain areas you don't want to go to. Like take Jingle town in Oakland California. Jingle town is about 5 blocks of high gang area, do you really want to walk that area no.

I'm sorry you have taken this posting so personally but this documentary isn't about a particular region of Guatemala or the men of Guatemala specifically. It focuses on the unwillingness of the authorities in that country to investigate the murder of women. The police and government turned a blind eye to these murders with no interest in finding the perpetrator. This is wrong regardless what country it happens in. Go watch the documentary, it is very sobering about how the deaths of women are being ignored by authorities and the attitudes towards women in general. I'm certain there are many wonderful things about Guatemala but allowing women to be murdered without any punishment or attempt to find the guilty is not one of them.

There are many documentaries out there which I have yet to see discussing violence and oppression against women. I have seen a documentary discussing the trade of Eastern European women, I have seen documentary about the sex trade in Thailand where women are also murdered without consequences, I have seen a documentary about the spread of HIV in India and parts of Africa due to husbands cheating on their wives while away seeking work and infecting their wives upon return. I happened to start this thread due to my viewing it just after International Women's Day.

Another lovely example of the global treatment of women. There wasn't enough evidence against the man, but there was against the woman and she didn't even have a lawyer or speak the language? :eyebrow:

KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Two Sudanese women have been sentenced to death by stoning for adultery after a trial in which they had no lawyer and which used Arabic, not their first language, the rights group Amnesty International said.

Sadia Idriss Fadul was sentenced on February 13 and Amouna Abdallah Daldoum on March 6 and their sentences could be carried out at any time, the London-based group said in a statement released late on Monday.

North Sudan implements Islamic sharia law.

"The women had no lawyer during their trial and were not able to defend themselves, as their first languages are those of their ethnic groups," Amnesty said.

Both women are from non-Arab tribes but the proceedings were in Arabic and no interpreter was provided, Amnesty said. Their trial took place in central Al Gezira state.

"One of the women, Sadia Idriss Fadul, has one of her children with her in prison," Amnesty said.

Faysal el-Bagir, a Sudanese human rights activist, said sentences of death by stoning were rare, "but we have heard that in this area there have been other such judgments."

The male accused in Fadul's case was let off because there was not enough evidence against him. Witnesses are usually required to gain a conviction and forensic tests are not normally used in such cases.

Under Sudan's penal code, anyone who is married and has sex outside wedlock shall be punished by execution by stoning. If they are unmarried, they are lashed, Amnesty said.

El-Bagir said that in another case in Sudan's western Darfur region about two years ago, a woman sentenced to death by stoning had her punishment reduced to lashing after a public campaign by rights activists.

Amnesty opposes all forms of capital punishment.

Sudan's justice ministry was unavailable for comment.

That's Bullshit! I wish our government could give those woman Asylum. I heard a story about a woman who was raped in one of the middle east countries. And do to "Lack of evidence" she was flogged.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom