Grow Weed Legally in Rhode Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
11 states and counting ... once again, New England leading the way, rationally and compassionately, to the future.

I don't think I have anything against this; the definition of "using for medical purposes" here seems like it's very strict and precise, as it should be.

80sU2isBest said:
I don't think I have anything against this; the definition of "using for medical purposes" here seems like it's very strict and precise, as it should be.

Using for medical purpose is only as good as the doctors determining the "medical purpose". Considering how easy it is to get other prescription drugs, a "medical purpose" restriction is somewhat meaningless.

nbcrusader said:

Using for medical purpose is only as good as the doctors determining the "medical purpose". Considering how easy it is to get other prescription drugs, a "medical purpose" restriction is somewhat meaningless.

That's true. Plus, I didn't think that allowing patients to grow marijuana is a good idea.

The solution, as I see it, is to have these "marijuana treatments" done only at the hospitals. Unless of course, there is some type of narcotic thatn does what marijuana does, in which case the legality of it is totally unnecessary in the first place.

nbcrusader said:

Which can be said for any drug out there.

80sU2isBest said:

That's true. Plus, I didn't think that allowing patients to grow marijuana is a good idea.

If you allow patients to grow it prevents big pham companies from someday taking over start adding additives and selling it for 5 times the value.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Which can be said for any drug out there.

But the Rhode Island law only opens the door to the drug, but fails to provide a compprehensive regulatory scheme to make it work safely.

Most buyers of medical marijuana must do so on a cash basis and at inflated street prices.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

If you allow patients to grow it prevents big pham companies from someday taking over start adding additives and selling it for 5 times the value.

But it also provides for easy theft.

nbcrusader said:

But the Rhode Island law only opens the door to the drug, but fails to provide a compprehensive regulatory scheme to make it work safely.
Same goes with OTC products. One can overdose on aspirin before they can on pot.

nbcrusader said:

Most buyers of medical marijuana must do so on a cash basis and at inflated street prices.
Not anymore if they are allowed to grow their own.

Come to Rhode Island Maaaan......

It's green and its greeeewwww...

Come back to Rhode Island.....

The sky is so blue....

:combust:

u2bonogirl said:
:shrug:
maybe people wouldnt be so mystified about weed if they could just grow it and smoke it
Kids would definitely feel less cool doing something legal :laugh:

works for the Dutch.

It is a little hypocrite here,..we can buy it and they allowed to sell it in *coffeeshops* but it is forbiden to grow it ( to sell )

But it is a good thing to get it legal though, alcohol is muchmore dangerous.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How is it easier than anything else, it can be grown inside you know.

What I meant was that if it were allowed to be grown at home, it would be easier to steal than if they did what I proposed, give the marijuana treatments at hospitals only.

nbcrusader said:

Does it really? Do we see other societies embrassing the Dutch model as ideal?

my understanding based upon anecdotal conversations with many Dutch people is that the average age at which a Dutch person tries marijuana is much lower than his counterparts in other European countries, and the percentage of the population who smokes pot on a regular basis is lower.

i can't source that, but i remember hearing it enough that it seemed to be common knowledge in the Netherlands. and the rowdiest people i saw in Amsterdam weren't Dutch people, they were tourists on benders.

nbcrusader said:

Does it really? Do we see other societies embrassing the Dutch model as ideal?

i do think, though, that there are certain elements about the Netherlands that make it possible for generally harmless soft drugs to be legalized that would make it impossible for a large country like the US to do the same thing. at least at this point.

Just a reminder for people, states can really only set these laws kind of symbolically. Sure, that means that you can't get prosecuted by state and local authorities, but, technically speaking, it's still illegal at the federal level, and, as such, federal laws trump any state or local laws.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom