Grand - Jury & Duty, OH MY.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I've never been called for jury duty, untill a couple of weeks ago. I went today.
I'm now serving on the Grand Jury duty for 2 weeks..

I didn't mind doing a few days or a week - but damn 2 weeks and 565 cases. I WANT OUT!!
This is going to put me 2 weeks behind in training for the department I ask been moved too at work.
Judge didn't find that as an valid excuse however. He only excused one person.
so far the cases have been mostly a script for "stupid criminals".

Oh well, sh** happens.

I got called for Jury Duty for the week I was due to start a new job. It was for one trial that they estimated would take 3-5 weeks. I wrote a letter explaining my situation, and they let me off on the understanding that I knew I was definitely going to be called up again within 6 months and that there would be no way out of it that time. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I've heard nothing.

Yeah usually you can defer up to 2-3 times if you have a good excuse. I got summoned when I was 19, still in school, the semester I was really sick for five months and could not miss any more classes (my college taught seminar-style so you could fail if you missed enough classes). They let me defer for school twice, and then my third time was that summer so I had to go. It was for district court though, not Grand Jury, and our guy plead out as we were entering the court room. But I did get paid $54 for just the few hours we sat for our instructions. I was bummed that I had to sit through selection, finally get picked, and then not see the trial.

I'd be really interested to be part of a Grand Jury trial as long as it didn't interfere with work (or at least getting paid!).

I'm mercifully excused from ever serving on a jury and frankly I couldn't be happier about it.

A_Wanderer said:
The trick is to say that your prejudiced against all races :wink:

If you don't mind being held in contempt of court. :wink:

A_Wanderer said:

That's what people told me too. I thought I'd be outed b/c my uncle ran the jail at the time and I have other relatives in law enforcement, but no I was chosen. But anyway, funny you mention that b/c I've never been so appalled by the types of things people will admit to believing as I was during jury selection.

A_Wanderer said:

I was well prepared to do something, anything (except the race thing).. But no one ask any preliminary questions. He just called out the names of 18 people and said this is our grand jury.
It's weird because we are deciding which cases to send to trial.
We don't hear all the actual case just the defendant's crime and a few details in
some cases the victim comes in to testify.
I've heard parts of assault, theft, hit & run, and sexaual assault cases. It's fustrating because I don't get to follow up on any of the cases I've sent for trial..:|
They can have me this week but I'm not going to go the entire 2 weeks. Even thought I'm getting paid by my employer and a wopping $10 a day by the court. Oh less I forget, I get 5 cents a mile also.. :eyebrow:

Courtroom story from my friend who had to serve

Ok, years ago on SNL, Rob Schneider was doing an Elvis impersonation and said the quote " a baby, an infant baby" in the Elvis drawl. Well, an infant and baby are the same thing right? Well, my friend Dave thought this was super funny.

So fast forward to the courtroom in the middle of a serious case in which Dave was a juror. For some reason which I forget, a lawyer used the phrase "a baby, an infant baby". Now my friend Dave used to be a heavy set fellow and when he started to laugh really hard he would turn red and let out a huge laugh. Well, he was a juror in a courtroom so his response to the lawyer's statement wasn't too appropriate. At first he tried to keep it quiet. Just smiling. But then the flush came across his face, then the giggling, then some shaking, and then some louder guffaws under his mouth as he tried to stifle it. At this point, the whole court was staring at him and the judge asked him if there was anything wrong. He finally regained his composure upon being singled out by the judge and did his civic duty.

Back
Top Bottom