Governor's race ads invoke Hitler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
As if I needed more reasons to hate Jerry Kilgore. This is shameful.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/14/virginia.governor.ap/index.html

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- The Republican candidate for Virginia governor is drawing fire for campaign ads that suggest his Democratic opponent is so averse to the death penalty he would have spared Adolph Hitler from execution.

The radio and TV ads feature victims' relatives who tearfully recount the crimes that killed their loved ones and say they don't trust Democrat Tim Kaine to administer the state's death penalty.

Kaine, who says his moral objections to capital punishment are rooted in his Roman Catholic faith, responded with an ad pledging to carry out death sentences "because it's the law."

One of the ads supporting Jerry Kilgore, Virginia's attorney general, cites a Richmond Times-Dispatch column that said Kaine had "suggested he would not favor sending even Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin or Idi Amin to the gallows."

A commercial featuring death penalty proponent Stanley Rosenbluth has him looking into the camera and saying: "Tim Kaine says Adolf Hitler doesn't qualify for the death penalty. This was one of the worst mass murderers in modern times."

Some Jewish leaders said Friday that the commercials trivialize the Holocaust and should be withdrawn.

Kilgore spokesman Tim Murtaugh defended the ads and said that Rosenbluth spoke from his heart.

Kaine, the lieutenant governor, is seeking to succeed Gov. Mark R. Warner, a fellow Democrat who is barred by the state constitution from seeking a second consecutive term this fall.

:censored:

Go Tim go!!!!! I'll actually be seeing Tim tonight as a matter of fact. This is utterly ridiculous sadly not surprising.

Citing Hitler automatically destroys credibility for the debate. A stupid move.

But, for you secularists out there, are Kaine's objections to capital punishment rooted in his Roman Catholic faith problematic?

What a jerk.........you've got a valid point about Kaine's Catholic faith and the death penalty. I don't like Roy Moore because I think he's playing to people's fears and basically their negative sides a la George Wallace. It's not just a matter of him being religious. The incumbent governor of Alabama is also religious and he uses his beliefs in a positive and constructive way. You just might see me voting in another Republican primary and having to deal with a political identity crisis. :wink:

nbcrusader said:

But, for you secularists out there, are Kaine's objections to capital punishment rooted in his Roman Catholic faith problematic?

I think it's troubling for a party that trumpets religion at every turn for them to then use religion to slam their opponent.

Like I once said, the problem with religion in America today is that it is way too heavily skewed towards this overly patriarchal, macho archetype. And anything that isn't gung-ho macho in religion is going to get condemned in American Christianity.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

Interesting question, Crusader. An off the top of my head answer would be to say I could not object because no one's civil rights are violated and this is someone refusing to play God instead of playing God.

I cannot WAIT to vote against this guy. He's no "McCain republican". He has not run a clean campaign.

Happily, I also feel like Kaine is a guy I can feel good about voting for. He really impressed me in the debates that I've seen. :up: He wants to invest in our public transportation, which is desperately needed, among other issues.

Back
Top Bottom