Governor Schwarzenegger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Just popped up on the ol' Fox News ticker... Arnold Schwarzenegger will indeed run for Governor of California.

arnold.jpg

At least then he'd stop making movies. I'm not sure what would be the greater evil.

I would vote for him...I think it puts politics and everything a little lighter than it was...i mean you see on CNN all the anchors with their poker faces saying "Yes, Schwarzenegger, star of such movies as Terminator 3, will be running for governor." It's funny. And there could be a helluva lot of ppl who would be worse for the job.

Leno Did a Great job with the TV Blackout bit.

A "Kennedy" Republican!!!!! LOL

forget the terminator

Forget the Terminator, I'll write in bono!

The problem is the terminator will win. He won't be as bad a davis

The writers of Saturday Night Live will probably have fun if Arnold becomes governor. While his intelligence is underrated, hearing him deliver speeches is going to be strange, a little like when he recites lines from Hamlet in Last Action Hero. :ohmy:

Hello,

I heard about this on the radio this morning. They also had some soundbites from Arnie, saying why he wants to run for governor. He also said he wants to go to Sacramento and 'clean house'.

Am I the only one who gets Terminator flashbacks with this phrase (or Commando flashbacks, or Last Action Hero flashbacks, or Red Sonja flashbacks)?
:D

C ya!

Marty

'I'll be back!' (sorry, couldn't resist myself :lmao: )

hey... ron reagan was president of the screen actor's guild... so why exactly can't an immargrant cititzen, who happens to be an actor, and who obviously has strong convictions and isn't an idiot when it comes to politics, run for office? i mean... why not? if i were a citizen of California, I'd most deffinetly listen to what he has to say, and then make my decision. Just because he's in the Terminator movies isn'ta reason to discount his effort to run for the Governorship.

Arnold's an intelligent guy, he became a millionaire through investing in real estate long before he became famous as an actor, and he's done a lot for the state of California, especially for schools, plus his work for the Special Olympics is well-known- so I don't think most people are discounting Arnold because he's an actor or because he's Austrian. They find humor in the fact that the man famous for playing Conan the Destroyer and The Terminator could possibly join the elite club of governors. Schwarzenegger even finds himself funny, he was definitely poking fun at himself in Last Action Hero, Kindergarten Cop, Junior, and Jingle All the Way by putting himself in fish out-of-water scenarios. Would a line like, "It's not a tumor!" / "It's nahda toomah!" (Kindergarten Cop) be funny if said by another actor? Arnold not only made it funny, but famous. :) He even tries to work catch phrases from his movies when he talks. It's all in good fun.

bonocrazy88 said:
I would vote for him...I think it puts politics and everything a little lighter than it was...i mean you see on CNN all the anchors with their poker faces saying "Yes, Schwarzenegger, star of such movies as Terminator 3, will be running for governor." It's funny. And there could be a helluva lot of ppl who would be worse for the job.

I can see why the best candidates for the job always lose.

Melon

deep said:

Wonders if Doug (nbcrusader) will vote for this pro-choice moderate?

It is funny how the Dems make a big issue out of abortion in the state elections. Last I checked, the California govenor couldn't ban abortions if they wanted to. It is a non-issue.

His position doesn't disqualify him in my book.

melon said:

I can see why the best candidates for the job always lose.

Melon

I was kidding. I would have to know a lot about a person before I voted and I wouldn't vote for someone simply because he was an actor. I was just saying that it is a great subject for jokes...like thurco said, SNL..
But I think Arnold's intelligence is underrated. He has a heart of gold. :yes:

nbcrusader said:

It is funny how the Dems make a big issue out of abortion in the state elections. Last I checked, the California govenor couldn't ban abortions if they wanted to. It is a non-issue.

His position doesn't disqualify him in my book.

Actually it was the GOP that rejected former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan
in the closed primary last year because he switched to pro-choice.

Riordan would have most likely beat Davis last Nov. and we would not be having this circus.

I don't live in California, but from the outside looking in, the whole thing looks remarkably like sour grapes. If you can't win in an election and have the money, buy yourself a new election. My cynicism of politics is reaching critical mass. :|

btw, now that Ventura is done being governor here in MN, maybe he can move to Hollywood and run. At least he has some experience under his belt. :sexywink:

sulawesigirl4 said:
I don't live in California, but from the outside looking in, the whole thing looks remarkably like sour grapes. If you can't win in an election and have the money, buy yourself a new election. My cynicism of politics is reaching critical mass. :|

I would agree with your analysis if this had been the first time the recall law was invoked. In the 90+ years it has been on the books, there have been numerous attempts to recall the govenor. All have failed.

Currently, there are over 2 million signatures supporting the recall (and signatures continue to arrive). The number to qualify was around 900K. This is not sour grapes by one group.

Residents are tired of over-priced electricity. Now they are getting their car registration renewals at three time last year's cost.

nbcrusader said:
Residents are tired of over-priced electricity. Now they are getting their car registration renewals at three time last year's cost.

I understand, but isn't it stretching it just a bit to blame all of that on one man? The energy crisis certainly wasn't all his fault and everywhere in the country, state budgets are being slashed and fees are being raised. That has a lot to do with the stellar Bush economy, imo. I dunno. I just find it ironic that anyone with some money to blow can hire people to go around, get signatures and then theoretically could become the next governor with not even a majority of votes. I thought we lived in a democracy. But hey, as I said, I don't live in California. :huh:

isn't it stretching it just a bit to blame all of that on one man?

the stellar Bush economy

I don't know, is it a stretch?

All elections for govenor (or president) involve more than two candidates - so a plurality is the norm. California will not have a govenor based on 15% of the vote.

While hundreds have "pulled papers" to run, the final number will actually be smaller. In fact, Darrell Issa (the man who funded and lead the recall effort) has dropped out of the race. So Issa will not be "buying" the office.

thurco said:
Arnold's an intelligent guy, he became a millionaire through investing in real estate long before he became famous as an actor, and he's done a lot for the state of California, especially for schools, plus his work for the Special Olympics is well-known- so I don't think most people are discounting Arnold because he's an actor or because he's Austrian. They find humor in the fact that the man famous for playing Conan the Destroyer and The Terminator could possibly join the elite club of governors. Schwarzenegger even finds himself funny, he was definitely poking fun at himself in Last Action Hero, Kindergarten Cop, Junior, and Jingle All the Way by putting himself in fish out-of-water scenarios. Would a line like, "It's not a tumor!" / "It's nahda toomah!" (Kindergarten Cop) be funny if said by another actor? Arnold not only made it funny, but famous. :) He even tries to work catch phrases from his movies when he talks. It's all in good fun.

That?s exactly why I would vote for him :up:

Arnold is a great example for a person who has made the way from a little town in a European country to an American superstar, a fine husband and father, a succesful businessman and a smart player in politics.

Indeed, he is honorable.

Back
Top Bottom