Governor Schwarzenegger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously, I do not live in California, but I would have to hear some of his issues and beliefs before I make a decision as to whether I'd like him or dislike him.

Needless to say, I disliked how Giuliani used his 15 minutes of fame with 9/11 to pull Bloomberg to a victory in the NYC mayoral race, but, from what I've read thus far, I would probably quite like him. So, there certainly have been a lot of surprises in this profession...

Melon

13% Of the United States economy comes from California. I saw this on the ABC news tonight. This election is pretty important.

My biggest fear is that Schwartzenegger will get votes solely on his celebrity and not on his issues.

Melon

Dreadsox said:
13% Of the United States economy comes from California. I saw this on the ABC news tonight. This election is pretty important.

i think they got it wrong

13% of the U S population is in CA

I believe a lot more than 13% of US economy/ GNP is from CA.

Fuck, this recall is happening because career politicians have failed us.
So how can you blame an outsider for trying to be governor, how much worse can Arnold do?
I personally think he might get the job done and he's a moderate republican, definitely not a right winger, fuck lets give the guy a chance.

sulawesigirl4 said:
btw, now that Ventura is done being governor here in MN, maybe he can move to Hollywood and run. At least he has some experience under his belt. :sexywink:

Yeah, on the news here they also briefly mentioned him (as being an entertainment star (well, would you call that kind of wrestling a sport?) who became a governor). So I was wondering: Was he any good as a governor?
I knew he was, but I never heard whether he was a good governor or not. So could you (or anyone else from Minnesota) enlighten me?

C ya!

Marty

P.S. ThatGuy, I don't think you want an angry 'Governator' cleaning your house. At least, not as long as there are people there... :mac:

Bunbury said:
I personally think he might get the job done and he's a moderate republican, definitely not a right winger, fuck lets give the guy a chance.

angelenewb.jpg

Of course, while we're at it, why not Angelyne? She's running for governor too. :sexywink:

Melon

Rush Limbaugh with "Talent on loan from God"

Hear Me Now and Believe Me Later

August 7, 2003

Here me now and believe me later, my friends: all these conservative orgasms over Arnold Schwarzenegger are - like the "Gorbasms" liberals experienced over Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev - fake. I know that (R) next to Schwarzenegger's name excites the White House, but his own words prove he's not a conservative. I call this "The Hollywood Syndrome," and it happens every time some actor-type says anything even remotely conservative. I'm not trying to cold shower anybody here, but don't look to anyone in Hollywood to validate your political ideas.

The American Prowler's George Neumayr detailed Arnold's politics in his article "Here's Arnold!" Quote: "[H]e spoke in generalities and banalities about his plans for the state. To the extent that he said anything, he sounded not like a fiscal conservative but a moderate Democrat. He said that he wanted businesses to come back to California so that the state government could collect enough tax revenues to provide social programs. This is the sort of obtuse comment middle-of-the-road Democrats always make, forgetting that businesses are leaving the state because they are tired of paying high taxes for those big government social programs."

More: "He has told the press he is 'very liberal' about social programs, supports abortion and homosexual adoption, and advocates 'sensible gun controls.' His entree into politics last year was a proposition Democrats endorsed because it raised state spending for what amounted to state babysitting - before-school and after-school programs that cost the state up to $455 million a year. He has complained openly about the party's conservatism.... Talk magazine described him as 'impatient' with the religious right....

[H]e expressed disgust with the Republicans who impeached Clinton. 'That was another thing I will never forgive the Republican Party for,' he said. 'We spent one year wasting time because there was a human failure. I was ashamed to call myself a Republican during that period.'"

Does this sound like "the Next Reagan," as some people are calling Arnold? Hardly. This guy may be the next actor elected governor of California, but that's where the similarity between him and Ronaldus Magnus end.

Arnold's name has been thrown around in GOP circle's for years.
The power brokers have always believed he was electable in state wide election. The problem was that he would never win a primary where only Republicans voted.

Like Eminem say's

You only got one shot,
this is Arnold's only shot.

I have posted before that I was a fairly regular listener to Rush in the past.

I forget who, but someone in here said I was not telling the truth.

I am not a regular listener now. I do tune in from time to time.

Most of my radio listening is tuned into public radio.

There is a real good program on public radio called

Speaking of Faith <------ here

their programs are available on realaudio

verte76 said:
Interesting. I'll be watching the news about the campaign's progress. Of course I can't vote.......can he win?

yes

Simon says, "I quit"

The other major Republican in the race is McClintock. If the polls indicate the vote will split and put Dem. Bustamante in office, he will most likely quit also. This will probably happen nearer the election. He is a true conservative, he will whip up the base and make sure they are likely to go to the polls.

Last edited:
What I want to know is what were Gov. Davis's crimes? There is no list of what he did to deserve this recall. If its just not getting the economy moving, well tough shit. Under those circumstances every other Governor in the country should be booted out of office, we should can Dubya at the same time. This recall is a sham and just a Republican Power Play for taking offices they know they CAN'T WIN in a real election!
I lost all respect for Schwarzenegger for the fact that he is willing to get himself involved in such a sham. I love how he claims to not be controlled by special interests, but comes to press conferences in a huge Hummer. Give me a break, he is already being corrupted by politics! He is selling himself out to the Far Right on certain issues like Homosexuality and Abortion, just so he can get elected. He is no different than those he complains about. This recall sets a bad precedent, and it will serve Arnold right if he ends up getting recalled as well.

Eric

Maybe a little research could have helped.

The California recall law does not require "a crime" in order for it to be used. Instead, it is generated by voters. Less than 900,000 signatures are required to initiate a recall. In the last 100 years, there have been numerous attempts to being a recall campaign. This was the first one that was successful. In fact, over 2 million signatures were sent to the Secretaty of State's office.

I see you buy into the "right-wing conspiracy". California favors Democrats. Polls show a majority of the voters of California are in favor of the recall.

Equating Schwarzenegger's driving a Hummer with Davis' catering to (actually, being owned by) his special interest groups is non-sensical.

It's a legal recall, no doubt, and, with the population of California as it is, it was never difficult to get as many signatures as they did. Republicans were certainly the drive behind the recall, but they merely used the law to their favor.

However, to be honest, I wouldn't have put it past the Bush Administration to have created California's energy crisis (with its ties to energy trader, Enron, and Cali's deregulated, private utility companies) to give Davis a bad name...which, if that is true, it certainly worked.

Melon

melon said:
However, to be honest, I wouldn't have put it past the Bush Administration to have created California's energy crisis (with its ties to energy trader, Enron, and Cali's deregulated, private utility companies) to give Davis a bad name...which, if that is true, it certainly worked.

Melon

A good theory, except Davis was the single largest recipient of campain money from Enron. His mind was elsewhere when the "crisis" began to rear its head.

Its still a bass ackwards process when you only need 900,000 signatures in a state with a population in the tens of millions.
The point is the Republicans will do anything to get offices they cannot win in a legit election, and they are monopolizing on everyones frustration, by using Davis as the fall man. Frankly if this is the precedent to be set, we should recall every Governor in the country and can the President while we are at it.
As George Carlin put it "There is no vast right wing conspiracy, they are driving the bus while we are sitting in back".
Anyone who supports this recall to undermine the election process deserves whats coming to them.

nbcrusader said:
Maybe a little research could have helped.

The California recall law does not require "a crime" in order for it to be used. Instead, it is generated by voters. Less than 900,000 signatures are required to initiate a recall. In the last 100 years, there have been numerous attempts to being a recall campaign. This was the first one that was successful. In fact, over 2 million signatures were sent to the Secretaty of State's office.

I see you buy into the "right-wing conspiracy". California favors Democrats. Polls show a majority of the voters of California are in favor of the recall.

Equating Schwarzenegger's driving a Hummer with Davis' catering to (actually, being owned by) his special interest groups is non-sensical.

Hello,

It is legitimate to have a recall in California, etc. But indeed, it is strange to have this recall now when Davis hasn't comitted any crime and while he was re-elected last year! I mean, why wasn't he voted out of office last year? What significant thing has happened in this year that was entirely contributable to him (and not the economy of national legislation, etc.)?

:confused:

Marty

Just because it is legal doesn't make it legit.

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

It is legitimate to have a recall in California, etc. But indeed, it is strange to have this recall now when Davis hasn't comitted any crime and while he was re-elected last year! I mean, why wasn't he voted out of office last year? What significant thing has happened in this year that was entirely contributable to him (and not the economy of national legislation, etc.)?

:confused:

Marty

The funny thing is that there are a lot of Republican groups that are also against this recall. They use the same excuses, that he has done nothing illegal and to oust a Governer because you don't like his politics is a very dangerous thing to do. In reality these Republicans are probably very worried about "retaliation". That this could happen to Republican governers in other states, or adversly affect Bush's realection as Democrats get increasingly pissed off at the Rebuplican party as a whole.

My only complaint is that Arnold is a Democrat and he still calls himself a Republican. So far right-wing wackos like Sean Hannity support him when if he just had the Democrat label he would be pointing his pudgy finger at him yelling that he is a sick treasonous liberal.

"I'm beginning to see what Maria Shriver saw in Arnold"

My only complaint is that Arnold is a Democrat and he still calls himself a Republican.

What, Schwarzenegger Vague? He Was Once Mighty Explicit
Steve Lopez

August 29, 2003

Hey, I'm no prude. But I felt more than a little embarrassed while reading details of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Don Juan days to the Rev. Louis P. Sheldon of the Traditional Values Coalition.

"Go ahead," Rev. Sheldon encouraged in a somber tone. "I'm an adult."

Yeah, but this stuff could make a sailor blush. The comments by Schwarzenegger were from a 1977 Oui magazine article that's been making the rounds.

I'm guessing it's a tossup as to whether Schwarzenegger's randy remarks will cost him, or win him, Republican votes. He's got sort of an old-fashioned take on the role of women, you might say, and his slurs against gays might not hurt him with some conservatives, either.

But you don't want to have to explain bawdy comments about group sex in the gym, hanging out with hookers or getting high on grass and hashish the very week you're trying to climb into bed with true conservatives who doubt you're one of them.

As I began quoting from the Oui article, there was stony silence from the Rev. Sheldon, the head of Californians for Moral Government.

"Everybody jumped on" a naked woman at Gold's Gym in Venice, Schwarzenegger said in describing an impromptu orgy. But then he qualified the claim, saying some men can't [perform] in front of others, because they're insecure about the size of their [action figure].

There was lots of talk about [action figures] in the article, including Arnold's. He said that lifting weights won't add any bulk down there, but it's clear from the size of his biceps that he never stopped trying.

I asked the good reverend if it was OK for me to go on.

"I appreciate the explicitness of this," Rev. Sheldon said, giving me permission to continue. "This is pretty serious."

I think I might have heard a sigh from him when I read Arnold's observation that if a woman measured up in the sack, "She can weigh 150 pounds, I don't care." Then there was the part about "girls backstage" at the 1972 Mr. Olympia contest paying special attention to the contestants' [action figures].

"I went out there feeling like King Kong," said Schwarzenegger, who won the event.

In fairness to Arnold, the Oui article was published a long time ago. He was just 29 and had not yet married Maria Shriver, the daughter of a Kennedy. But you have to wonder whether his behavior and attitudes will raise lasting concerns among true believers, and among women who might be thinking, "What a [action figure] this guy is."

"I don't think so," said K.B. Forbes, a spokesman for Bill Simon Jr., the conservative candidate who dropped out of the race on Saturday. People don't want old news, Forbes said. They want to hear about job creation and solutions to the budget deficit.

Maybe so, but they haven't heard much of either from Arnold.

The Rev. Sheldon was already praying for Arnold because of the candidate's moderate views on abortion, among other things. When I had finished reading him the Oui article, Sheldon was in a lather.

There is only one way for Arnold to save the conservative vote (not to mention his soul), Sheldon said, and stand tall as the moral leader of the great state of California.

"He must repent. George W. Bush fully repented and has abstained from hard alcohol for many years."

You cannot go around calling yourself a Ronald Reagan conservative when the facts of your life tell a different story, said the reverend.

Wait a minute. Wasn't Nancy pregnant when Ron married her? Before I could bring it up, Sheldon surprised me by tossing a compliment to Gray Davis.

"We're at opposite ends politically, but the man stays with his dear wife every night."

Amen.

"In light of all these revelations," the reverend went on, "Mr. Schwarzenegger must repudiate and repent, even though it's been a quarter of a century You do not want people thinking they can [take turns having their way with] a woman, even if she makes herself available. That is not morally right. The lust of the flesh leads to destruction."

Hallelujah, brother. But I'm not sure Schwarzenegger has seen the light.

"I never lived my life to be a politician," he said this week on a radio show. "I never lived my life to be the governor of California."

There it is: the perfect Arnold bumper sticker.

"Obviously, I've made statements that are ludicrous and crazy and outrageous and all of those things," Arnold went on, "because that's the way I always was."

Doesn't sound like repenting to me.

"I think he needs to say, 'It was wrong for me to do this,' " the Rev. Sheldon says. "Is this still continuing? Would he ever do this again? Would he promise he's not going to chase interns around the desk in the office?"

Only time will tell. But I'm beginning to see what Maria Shriver saw in Arnold. In at least one way, he kind of reminds you of the Kennedy boys.

Strato Edge said:
Ahhhnold!

i'm not a political person

This whole issue is silly, seriously why he is a more credible candidate than someone like Larry Flynt. Larry Flynt is a very successful businessman, and has more money than Arnold.
This whole California debacle is just an incredible mess, and setting a horrible precedent for future state elections.
The fact is the rules are fucked up. We're talking about a state with 35 million people, and it only takes 900,000 signatures to recall the Governor. That is just outrageous. Not to mention Davis won a real election by quite a large margin less than a year ago.
Californians are pissed, and The Republicans are milking this for all its worth by using Davis as a scapegoat. If ineffectiveness is a rule of thumb for removing an ELECTED official, then we better pull Dubya's ass out of office as well.

Back
Top Bottom