Government Approved Rock and Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Is this what U2 has become?

With the loserly likes of John Kerry, Bill Clinton, Jesse Helms, Rick Santorum, Condy Rice, and Bill Frist in the U2 fan club, I am confronted with the frightening fact that I am in love with a band that is what my prophet Bill Hicks warned against.

Is it possible to overturn the money-changers' tables when your rock and roll temple has been soiled by a Rick Santorum fundraiser.

God, please give me back the ranting ballsy Bono of the 80s and 90s over this pious priestlike person doing penance for his past pomposity!!!

The great comedian Bill Hicks suggested that there is really nothing worse than government-approved rock. It is akin, to, well, in his words, sucking off Satan.

So please, to save Bono's soul from Satan, read on and pray that he will renounce his evil ways. Instead of sucking up to senators, why not a PsyOp with vigorous versions of the Rattle and Hum-era Bullet the Blue Sky piping through the halls of Congress!

Here is a commentary about Bill Hicks from Will Kaufman in a scholarly book on comedy :

(available at http://www.sacredcow.com/articles/willsbook.html)

Hicks found it easy to segue from the War on Drugs into a critique of artistic prostitution and dishonesty. After invoking Hendrix, the Beatles, Keith Richards, Janis Joplin, and other musicians for whom drug experimentation proved a litmus test for the creative pursuit of an alternative viewpoint -- an "altered state" -- he would "extend the theory to our generation now, so it's more applicable" (RC). His conclusion was merciless: "These other musicians today who don't do drugs, and in fact speak out against them: boy, do they suck. What a coincidence. Ball-less, soul-less, spiritless, corporate little bitches, suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of them." Signing up to the War on Drugs was tantamount to masquerading as a rock star: "'We're Rock Stars Against Drugs because that's what the President wants!' Aw, suck Satan's cock. That's what we want, isn't it? Government-approved rock and roll" (REV). The same rock stars fighting the War on Drugs were just as likely to be selling Pepsi-Cola and Taco Bell products: there was a connection. Certainly, a review of the eighties' and nineties' most prominent rock stars suggests an advertising chumminess inconceivable in the sixties and seventies, when the music was synonymous with nonconformity: Michael Jackson pushing Pepsi; Phil Collins and Eric Clapton pushing Michelob; George Michael pushing Diet Coke ("Diet Coke? Even Madonna fuckin' hawked real Coke"); M.C. Hammer pushing Kentucky Fried Chicken; Barry Manilow pushing McDonald's; Genesis pushing Volkswagens; Pink Floyd pushing Volkswagens. (Heaven alone knows how Hicks would have handled the news that, less than two years after his death, even Keith Richards would be pushing Volkswagens.) "Everyone is hawking products. That's the highest thing you can achieve now, isn't it -- become some barker?... I'm waiting to see, 'It's Jesus, for Miller! I was crucified, dead for three days, resurrected, and I've waited two thousand years to return to Earth -- it's Miller Time!'" (D).

Bill Hicks.... a talented guy.

But no, I don't agree with your premise, though Bill probably would, if he was around today.

Actually, it's not my premise. I think Bono's a sly strategist who willingly compromises in the name of a good cause. But it causes me discomfort, and I seriously hope the sickness of this Santorum flap will help Bono ratchet-down the sucking up, just a little.

Debunked in the sense that U2 didn't organize an entire Arena-size gig as a Santorum rally. Not debunked in the sense that Santorum is still holding a private-fundraiser at the show in the sky box.

DATA REACTION TO INACCURATE MEDIA STATEMENTS ON U2 SHOWS AS POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS

STATEMENT BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA (debt AIDS trade Africa), THE AFRICA ADVOCACY GROUP CO-FOUNDED BY BONO:

"It is not uncommon for politicians, from both parties, to organize events at all kinds of music concerts and other entertainment events. If any political fundraising events take place at a U2 concert, it is without the involvement or knowledge of Data, U2 or Bono. U2 concerts are categorically not fundraisers for any politician - they are rock concerts for U2 fans."

For more information, contact Christopher Lagan, 202-494-5755

Anu said:
Debunked in the sense that U2 didn't organize an entire Arena-size gig as a Santorum rally. Not debunked in the sense that Santorum is still holding a private-fundraiser at the show in the sky box.

DATA REACTION TO INACCURATE MEDIA STATEMENTS ON U2 SHOWS AS POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS

STATEMENT BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA (debt AIDS trade Africa), THE AFRICA ADVOCACY GROUP CO-FOUNDED BY BONO:

"It is not uncommon for politicians, from both parties, to organize events at all kinds of music concerts and other entertainment events. If any political fundraising events take place at a U2 concert, it is without the involvement or knowledge of Data, U2 or Bono. U2 concerts are categorically not fundraisers for any politician - they are rock concerts for U2 fans."

For more information, contact Christopher Lagan, 202-494-5755

Yes but surely U2 can't be blamed for this?

I personally hope they pursue all legal avenues available to them to crack down on people riding the coat-tails of their public image.

financeguy said:

Yes but surely U2 can't be blamed for this?

They will "disclaimerize" but not "crack down." I'm sure Bono will say nothing from the stage that night to offend Santorum.

The article on Bono's activism in the NY Times shows how seriously he takes his frienships with these creeps, how he refuses to "bash" or take sides in Politics proper.

Let's be realistic here, if he doesn't compromise and work with these people he wouldn't be progressing with any of his causes. Keep your friends close keep your enemies closer.

Im with you Anu. U2 really has become over exploited, their music
is used by politicians,commercials, and so on. I want u2 and bono
to be famous but my goodness they are actually almost too famous im afraid.

This is what Santorum says in his book..

http://capitolbuzz.blogspot.com/200...s-book-for.html

NewsMax's misleading story that U2's Bono is raising money for Santorum is particularly interesting since in his book, It Takes A Family, Santorum describes Bono as satanic and ties U2 to the liberal view of society that Senator Rick hates so much. It's also noteworthy that Santorum is more than willing to stomach U2 when he's raising money for his campaign. His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

On page 14 of his tome, Santorum writes that liberals define freedom as "without limits (with the obligatory caveat that you can't hurt anyone else directly). But someone always gets hurt when masses of indiviudals do what is only in their self-interest. That is the great lie of liberal freedom, or as I like to say, 'No-Fault Freedom' (all of the choice, none of the responsiblity). When I listen to the rock group U2's latest hit 'Vertigo,' which criticixes the dizzying culture surrounding us, a chill goes through me when I hear Bono sing, in a satanic voice, 'All of this, all of this can be yours -- just give me what I want and no one gets hurt.'

Santorum continues: "No one gets hurt? Believers in No-Fault Freedom turn a blind eye to the damage such a notion of freedom causes not to this or that individual but to society as a whole."

On pages 264 and 265, Santorum writes: "The world liberals see is one in which each of us is an island entire unto ourselves, supported by the village elders, doing what pleases us, as the U2 song says, 'as long as nobody gets hurt.' Except that everybody gets hurt."

Good lord. So I ask - and this is probably the 5th or 6th time I've read something in here that clearly shows an elected US official is an off the deep end nutjob - who the hell is voting for people like this?

Just because Bono is lobbying politicians for something he believes in doesn't give those politicians the right to use him and U2 for their own political gain without even asking permission. Even if it's legal, it's a pretty scummy thing to do.

I don't think Bono should stop hobnobbing with politicians, as uncomfortable as it makes me sometimes. However, I do believe he has to stick up for himself more. He has clout now, he needs to use it. He doesn't need to denounce anyone from the stage. He just needs to politely tell these people in private that he isn't comfortable with what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom