Got.....beer????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
The New Hampshire, the student newspaper at the University of New Hampshire, rejected an advertisement from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) that spoofed the Got Milk? ads.

Instead, they wanted to do Got Beer, claiming beer was better for you than milk.

Now, I don't really care if they believe this.

BUT.

We've got a serious alcohol problem on our college campuses that caused more kids to fail out, become alcoholics, and even die because of irresponsible alcohol use.

And PETA think this ad is a good idea?

Read for yourself: http://www.milksucks.com/beersurvey.html

odd.

I Like Beer...But I Love Skim Milk

I think that's ludicrous.

It's one thing if you want to spout off on the horrors of milk and dairy products, but suggesting beer as a substitute is not right.

I heard about that on CNN the other day...I was like wtf? :scratch: that is so not right! :tsk:

I thought milk does the body good. I consume massive quantities everyday. I think their main concern is not milk but the ethical treatment of animals, and their willing to make any claim or push any idea(no matter if its rubbish) in the pursuit of their goal.

PETA does things to get attention drawn to their beliefs.
This campaign gets them huge publicity, and starts disscussions on the matter.

I hardly think PETA is to blame for any alchohol abuse on our campuses, no matter what they say about it, that has more to do with the gov't and the beer companys.

So if you can not get people to care about or listen to your cause(s) use shock tactics. Good idea. I would looooove to see the room of rocket scientists they have volunteering there time on the PETA ad Champaign team.

STING2 said:
I thought milk does the body good. I consume massive quantities everyday. I think their main concern is not milk but the ethical treatment of animals, and their willing to make any claim or push any idea(no matter if its rubbish) in the pursuit of their goal.
same here. if you don't want to even consume dairy, that's your prerogative, but don't spread crap about how beer is more healthy than milk. at the very least, beer dehydrates, which means you can't really drink it in lieu of milk, because you'll need something to drink afterwards, unless you want to be dehydrated, pass out, and die. :D

PETA is not concerned about your health.

One of their goals is to take away the right of humans to eat meat and dairy products (yes, The_Wanderer, even all of those cheeses that you enjoy).

~U2Alabama

I come from a looooooooong line of diary farmers

STING2 said:
I think their main concern is not milk but the ethical treatment of animals,

Actually milking a cow does not harm the animal. As a matter of fact not milking a cow can lead to infections and problems for the cow. Most farms I have been to, the cows are well cared for, most times they are in their stalls when they are being milked, or are sick and need to be kept from the rest of the herd. There are tight regulations by Federal and State agencies to ensure the health of the cow and the quality of the milk.

Beer somehow being better than milk is outrageous....but then again so is throwing red paint on people with fur coats. Encouraging alcoholism is far more ethical than letting the American Farmer make their living. :rolleyes:

your arguments are all well and good but

you seem to be forgetting that PETA, an organization for which i am neither here nor there, is making the statements based on a published work from harvard university

evidently the book to which PETA refers to is a cook book published by harvard researchers with the obvious backing of of the school.

to clarify, if it should become neccessary, i am neither for or against this idea of beer being 'better' for an individual than milk. if any of you are involved in advanced research of any kind you will know how easy it is to twist things. once these studies hit the media, or worse, advocacy groups(PETA) the twisting becomes exponential. it just seemed to me some of you were ignoring the statements made in the PETA release

Last edited:
I can't imagine pouring bud light into my fruity pebbles?

What's wrong with these people?

Or how about Golden Grahms and Killians Red!

The very thought! ;)

Mark:crazy:

Re: I come from a looooooooong line of diary farmers

daisybean said:
Actually milking a cow does not harm the animal. As a matter of fact not milking a cow can lead to infections and problems for the cow.
i always thought that, too.

not wanting to eat meat, or specific kinds of meat is all right, you know, to each man his own. but to say all dairy products are bad because you're hurting cows is ludicrous.

paxetaurora said:
You'll pry this pint of Ben and Jerry's out of my cold, dead fingers!

Thank you for my morning giggle. I did not think I would find it here in FYM. What a surprise.

If they want to draw attention to their cause through this ad campaign that's fine. But I think it hurts their cause if they place a Got beer? ad in a college paper in which

-a majority of the readers are under the legal drinking age
-know someone who was physically taken advantage or raped while under the influence
-know someone who has experienced or died from alcohol poisioning

all three of which are quite prevelant on college campuses.

I'm still waiting for PETA to do ads that we should fight against funding to Native American organizations because they hunt for food and make animal skin teepee and wear fur. And those damn Eskimos kill whales and polar bears for food and clothing. And all those Australians who "throw shrimp on the barbi" are evil.

And plants have feelings too.......no more salads!

Sting2 is right, it's not the act of milking a cow, it's the conditions that the cows (and any other meat/dairy/leather etc. animals for that matter) are kept in.

It's no secret fact that factory farms are known for having horrific conditions, and putting family farmers out of business, and it's tese types of farms more than any other where our products are coming from. Any way to get the laws and regulations changed to meet more ethical standards for the animals is their main concern. And whether you agree with them or not, it gets the dialouge moving.

And as far as advertising for beer on the college campus, I'm not sure about the others here, but beer companies advertise on all the college campuses I've been to, and I see it as no more harmful than those ads or having bars or seeling alchohol on the campus.

And college kids are pretty smart, they know it's a joke.

Despite the fact that I work for a Humane Society, I think PETA really overdo things. It's important that animals are treated as humanely as possible, but pissing people off is not the way to go about it! I was actually an avid vegetarian for four years, but fell off the wagon....

Anyway, I have always been an avid consumer of dairy (especially when I wasn't eating meat), but what worries me (and makes me feel guilty) at the same time is that I have heard that the cows are forced to stand in those stalls day in and day out, remaining pregnant all their lives, in order to produce the milk. That doesn't make for a very happy life for the mass producing cow, to say the least. :(

I'm not sure what can be done about it, of course free range farm cows and milk are best, but that is expensive.

Yeah Mrs. Edge, that's what drives me nuts, is how expensive it is to buy organic/free range/humane blah blah stuff.
Factory Farms are just evil for what they do to the animals (which then gets past down to us the consumer) and what it does to family farmers and something needs to be done about it, I don't think it's taken seriously enough because it's not covered that much in the media.

It's going to take a lot of people getting involved before any big change happens. It needs to be more accessible and less expensive in order for people to purchase the humane products over the other.

Sparkysgrrrl said:
It's no secret fact that factory farms are known for having horrific conditions

I'm sorry, but making this type of statement based on a "common knowledge" standard doesn't further the discussion either. It ignores a discussion on what is an acceptable condition for a cow, and what must be missing before you reach "horrific" conditions.

I'd hate to see a myth accepted as fact situation.

Fact : the put family farmers out of business...it's not difficult to find inoformation on factory farms if you are not familiar with their practises I suggest reading up on them for yourself.

I don't know what myth you are refering to but I wasn't talking about any myths...

sharky said:
If they want to draw attention to their cause through this ad campaign that's fine. But I think it hurts their cause if they place a Got beer? ad in a college paper in which

-a majority of the readers are under the legal drinking age
-know someone who was physically taken advantage or raped while under the influence
-know someone who has experienced or died from alcohol poisioning
yes. fwiw, no alcohol is advertised at my college (as far as i know, at least!) and the general store on campus doesn't even sell cigarettes!

but, i'm sure people still drink. at the very least, i know a friend of mine who attends college there too. we've lost touch since we started going there, but i know in high school she'd throw back a couple (we're talking 1-2 beers max) at a party.

i'm not naive in knowing that i'm sure lots of people in my classes drink, i just can't believe how many underage people do it, and how people act like keggers are a part of college life, although the average person only goes to college for 4 years. you do the math. if you start @ 18, you'll graduate by 21. (like me!) if you start @ 19, it'll be 22, and so on. that's not very much time where you can legally drink.

luckily, i don't know anyone in the other two categories (not yet at least) and there's been no widespread stories since i've been going there about someone dying in the hands of alcohol on campus. at the very least, i don't think my school's paper would allow an alcohol ad, even if it was something slightly satirical like the got beer? ads. they don't even advertise cigarettes in the paper, so i guess this isn't even an issue for my college. :)

btw, i go to a public college, a state college at that.

popkidu2 said:
The New Hampshire, the student newspaper at the University of New Hampshire, rejected an advertisement from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) that spoofed the Got Milk? ads.

Glad to see the college made the right decision.

Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl

And as far as advertising for beer on the college campus, I'm not sure about the others here, but beer companies advertise on all the college campuses I've been to, and I see it as no more harmful than those ads or having bars or seeling alchohol on the campus.

No alcohol is advertised on campus where I went to college, or where my sister goes to college, or any of the schools my friends went to. That includes liberal art colleges & state universities.

Back
Top Bottom