Gospel of Thomas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klodomir

Refugee
Very interesting. Who can tell me more, or direct me to where I can find more information?

Not trying to start a war here, I would just like to hear some opinions from different people.

The only thing I'd advise regarding this gospel is to keep in mind that it is one of the 'gnostic gospels,' which were written in the second century A.D. These are considered to be 'revisionist' to many scholars, as they were wholly intended to justify the Gnostic belief system.

However, keeping that in mind, have a good read!
smile.gif

Melon

------------------
?Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.? - Hui-neng (638-713)

Why did Jesus have to be so damn symbolic? This gospel seems incohesive and all over the place.

[This message has been edited by Simon Adebisi (edited 07-23-2001).]

Originally posted by Simon Adebisi:
Why dis Jesus have to be so damn symbolic? This gospel seems incohesive and all over the place.
Please remember that these are not accepted canon. Most people do not believe that these are even Jesus' words.

Originally posted by melon:
The only thing I'd advise regarding this gospel is to keep in mind that it is one of the 'gnostic gospels,' which were written in the second century A.D. These are considered to be 'revisionist' to many scholars, as they were wholly intended to justify the Gnostic belief system.
Melon, you lost me at hello.

My understanding is that the Church as a whole doesn't accept the "Gospel of St. Thomas." (who knows?) I haven't looked at it in awhile, but the whole thing about women becoming men? (I guess more symbolism.) I've heard that Christ was the "original feminist", so if that's the case I don't think He'd say such a thing. Anyhow, I have enough trouble understanding & adhering to the Four Gospels that we accept!

p.s. Did anyone see Stigmata? Pretty silly movie relating to this Gospel of ST thing.

The Gnostic belief is explained on the link DC provided. It is basically the belief that the kingdom of God is already on the Earth and is inside all of us.

Read more about it on the link DC gave.

Don't forget about the "all flesh is inherently evil" beliefs

The Gnostic belief is explained on the link DC provided. It is basically the belief that the kingdom of God is already on the Earth and is inside all of us.

Thanks, I found it now. I overlooked it among the many links on that page.

Back
Top Bottom