GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In remarks that may prompt accusations of racial insensitivity, one suggested that Mr Romney was better placed to understand the depth of ties between the two countries than Mr Obama, whose father was from Africa.

“We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special,” the adviser said of Mr Romney, adding: “The White House didn’t fully appreciate the shared history we have”.

Wow, that's revolting.

Yeah, because hosting the Winter Olympics in SLC is totally the same as the Summer Games in freaking LONDON. :lol:

Or, as British PM Cameron put it: ""We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere.""

“I don’t happen to believe that America needs new gun laws,” Romney said in an interview with NBC News, which was filmed in London on the first day of the candidate’s weeklong trip to Europe and Israel.

Of course you don't, Romney :sigh:.

“And I happen to think that with regards to the Aurora, Colo. disaster,” Romney continued, “we’re wise to continue the time of memorial and think of comforting the people affected, and the political implications, legal implications, are something which will be sorted out down the road.”

Yeah. We'll deal with it later. Someday. We'll pencil a date in to talk about it and stuff. We'll just hope no other mass shootings will happen in that wait period.

In remarks that may prompt accusations of racial insensitivity, one suggested that Mr Romney was better placed to understand the depth of ties between the two countries than Mr Obama, whose father was from Africa.

“We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special,” the adviser said of Mr Romney, adding: “The White House didn’t fully appreciate the shared history we have”.

Um...what?

Here's a hint, pal: Next time, try and think about how what you say will sound BEFORE you say it.

Romney's trip kind of reminds me of the stereotypical American in Europe. You know, the whole "we're the superpowers", "we're the best country in the world", and "we saved your ass in WWII" attitude that turns off some Europeans. Especially with that London Olympics comment. :rolleyes:

“I’m sure from time to time there’ll be issues where they and I might part -- I don’t have one for you right now”
of course you don't, romney. it's because you're making this shit up as you go along and changing your position from one day to the next to best suit your needs. today you're for something, the next you're against it.

what

Or, as British PM Cameron put it: ""We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere.""
:lol:

Romney's trip kind of reminds me of the stereotypical American in Europe. You know, the whole "we're the superpowers", "we're the best country in the world", and "we saved your ass in WWII" attitude that turns off some Europeans. Especially with that London Olympics comment. :rolleyes:

Many people in rural Ohio are probably impressed with that attitude. If the election is going to be as close as some claim, that could win it for Romney. Europe doesn't get to vote on November 6.

Many people in rural Ohio are probably impressed with that attitude. If the election is going to be as close as some claim, that could win it for Romney. Europe doesn't get to vote on November 6.

Yes, but Americans have a reputation abroad as being rude and arrogant, and not giving a damn what the rest of the world thinks about us because we're the superpower. In addition, too many Americans are oblivious to the rest of the world, and that isn't a good thing. We should drop our haughtiness and realize other countries have plenty to be proud of,too. Besides, we're not really a superpower anymore and its slipping fast.

This trip is supposed to showcase Romney the statesman - a man who takes relations with our allies more seriously than our current president and a man who would be better fit to negotiate these relationships. By all accounts his performance has been absolutely dismal so far. If anything it's helped reinforce the counter-arguments that Romney's rhetoric is just that - rhetoric, without meaningful substance to back it up.

Romney's trip kind of reminds me of the stereotypical American in Europe

Yes. I'm sure that was the first thought of most people there too.

I started watching his interview with Piers Morgan last night and I just had to change the channel. That smirk he puts on all the time-well he kept it on during all the questions and talk about the theater shooting. And it just creeped me out. Even holding hands the entire time with Ann-he just seemed so uncomfortable and robotic.

Romney is not an ideal candidate - who is? No-one gets their ideal dream candidate, that's not how it works. But, as far as I can tell, he is a moderate conservative with business success behind him and an understanding of the private sector and he stands a fighting chance of getting this economy back on its feet again. What concerns me is every single minor misstep he makes is analysed and dissected to death whereas gaffes that Obama makes disappear off the front pages remarkably quickly.

Romney wants to cut taxes and increase military spending.

Explain how that will help give the economy a "fighting chance."

Romney is not an ideal candidate - who is? No-one gets their ideal dream candidate, that's not how it works. But, as far as I can tell, he is a moderate conservative with business success behind him and an understanding of the private sector and he stands a fighting chance of getting this economy back on its feet again. What concerns me is every single minor misstep he makes is analysed and dissected to death whereas gaffes that Obama makes disappear off the front pages remarkably quickly.

It doesn't matter what he "wants" to do if I don't believe one word that comes out of his mouth.

Mitt has no backbone. He changes stances multiple times per term, and he'll say what he's told to say. In a time of vitriol between the parties, he's the last person to make a stand, which makes him a disastrous candidate. Apparently he blows at international diplomacy too.

This trip is supposed to showcase Romney the statesman - a man who takes relations with our allies more seriously than our current president and a man who would be better fit to negotiate these relationships. By all accounts his performance has been absolutely dismal so far. If anything it's helped reinforce the counter-arguments that Romney's rhetoric is just that - rhetoric, without meaningful substance to back it up.

For some people in the United States, taking relations more seriously means not bending over to other countries or not compromising US interest for the sake of certain relationships. That obviously does not sell well in Europe, but Israel appears to be impressed with Romney. A country I might add who's wise foreign policy over the past 60 years has insured its survival, sometimes against incredible odds.

Angel617 said:
For some people in the United States, taking relations more seriously means not bending over to other countries or not compromising US interest for the sake of certain relationships.
What are you inferring here?

Who or what has compromised US interests and how?

For some people in the United States, taking relations more seriously means not bending over to other countries or not compromising US interest for the sake of certain relationships. That obviously does not sell well in Europe, but Israel appears to be impressed with Romney. A country I might add who's wise foreign policy over the past 60 years has insured its survival, sometimes against incredible odds.

This reads like neo-con agitprop that even Ann Coulter couldn't say with a straight face circa 2004.

Israel is no friend to America, as evidenced by the fact the CIA considers Israel its No. 1 counterintelligence threat in the agency's Near East Division:

US Sees Israel, Tight Mideast Ally, As Spy Threat : NPR

The best approach for a president to take is simply not to deal with Israel any more. It should be left to deal with its own problems, they are nothing to do with the US. Of course, there is fat chance of that.

Angel617 said:
For some people in the United States, taking relations more seriously means not bending over to other countries or not compromising US interest for the sake of certain relationships.

Romney's blunders in the UK had nothing to do with him "not bending over to other countries or not compromising US interest."

A country I might add who's wise foreign policy over the past 60 years has insured its survival, sometimes against incredible odds.

I don't think I'd characterize Israel's foreign policy as wise.

Romney's blunders in the UK had nothing to do with him "not bending over to other countries or not compromising US interest."

I don't think I'd characterize Israel's foreign policy as wise.

Ok, can you remind me what they were?

Without a wise foreign policy, Israel would have been wiped from the map decades ago.

A lot of the things he said in Israel are flat out wrong.

Except they will shore up his standing with the evangelicals, that may have been still hesitating.
He may have gained a few Jewish supporters in FL, OH and PA. All three of these are toss-ups if Romney can eak out wins in two, he should win it all.

So yes, Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

Romney had said at a breakfast fundraiser that he had pondered the reasons for Israel’s huge economic advantage over the neighboring territories.

“As you come here and you see the [Gross Domestic Product] per capita, for instance, in Israel which is about $21,000 dollars, and compare that with the GDP per capita just across the areas managed by the Palestinian authority, which is more like $10,000 per capita, you notice such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality,” Romney said, according to a pool report.

In fact, the difference is far more stark than that. According to the World Bank, Israel’s GDP per capita is actually $31,282. The same figure for the Palestinian areas is around $1,600.

Romney said he had studied a book called “The Wealth and Poverty of Nations,” searching for an answer about why two neighboring places--the U.S. and Mexico, for instance, or Israel and the Palestinian areas--could have such disparate prosperity.

“Culture makes all the difference. Culture makes all the difference,” Romney said, repeating the conclusion he drew from that book, by David Landes. “And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things.”

Romney also said he recognized “hand of providence in selecting this place [Israel].”

:rolleyes:

I shouldn't put as incendiary a comment as I put before editing this post. But... just... wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom