GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it odd, if that's the word, to hear a Catholic using the language of America being locked in a spiritual war with Satan, who rots the country from within through its institutions. To me that's more something I'd expect to hear from a certain type of Baptist. I guess that could just be a question of limited social exposure on my part.

So he's going to continue talking about the things Americans want to talk about, eh? Like... contraception and feminism? :confused:

I'm honestly curious to find out the last time Santorum talked about jobs in any meaningful way.

I found it odd, if that's the word, to hear a Catholic using the language of America being locked in a spiritual war with Satan, who rots the country from within through its institutions. To me that's more something I'd expect to hear from a certain type of Baptist. I guess that could just be a question of limited social exposure on my part.

Yeah, it is odd for a Catholic, I usually find it in Baptist and Mormons. They both seem to be very UScentric.

But there's this whole new denomination growing up within all kinds of churches in the last two decades that teaches the conservative christian political moreso than the Biblical. I've been in some of these churches, some actually have the presidents on the wall of the Sunday school rooms or in foyers.

I was raised Catholic, I went to Catholic schools all the way up until university and I have never met a Catholic like him. And that includes my elderly great-aunts who prayed the rosary 5 times a day, my grandmother who went to mass 7 days a week until she could no longer walk there, and my father's old aunt who had about 20 crucifixes all over her home and made half a dozen pilgrimmages to places like Fatima and Medjugorje.

He must be some kind of ultra-traditional Catholic, which incidentally is why polls of Catholics all disagree with him on social issues by rather significant margins each time.

I think that he is a vile person who sits in judgment of others and their faith and their relationship with their God - shame on him.

I have a similar background, with family members who were strict Catholics. Always praying the rosary, going to mass every day. That's what you get with straight-off-the-boat Irish people. You're tired from waking up early for 7:30 mass? Offer it up.

He is like no Catholic I have ever known. He is a Catholic only in theory. Everything he says is evangelical. We Catholics are far from evangelical.

I'm honestly curious to find out the last time Santorum talked about jobs in any meaningful way.
Oh, he does; lately his stump speeches have mostly been about how he wants to be remembered as the guy who revived American manufacturing (yeah right), etc. The speech I posted above was from 2008 and not a campaign speech. It's just that, like PFan said earlier, the networks are focused on finding the controversial stuff; and anyhow the conservatives I know, and I know quite a few, themselves seem more concerned with, Do you want the Electable Guy or the Guy Who Actually Stands For Something, rather than on debating the merits of anyone's economic platform. I don't really expect much reporting on anyone's economic agenda until the general election, honestly. And then there'll doubtless be a lot of populist b.s. from both candidates about 'reviving American manufacturing,' which everyone knows is never going to happen.
You're tired from waking up early for 7:30 mass? Offer it up.
:lol: Yes! I actually remember teachers at the Catholic high school I went to admonishing just that, "Offer it up," whenever someone whined. Although, there WAS also one teacher there, she taught this course on 'Catholic Life' or something like that, who belonged to a subsect or lay order or whatever you call it which was charismatic (and I think maybe Opus Dei-linked, though I wouldn't have known what that was then). And she really would make fire'n'brimstone speeches from time to time; once I made the mistake of offhandedly saying that whatever topic she was addressing wasn't really a big deal in Judaism, and she actually came and stood over my desk, fixed me with this ferocious glare and ranted about some dream she'd supposedly had in which she saw angels and demons fighting over my soul. Ooookay. So in some form or another there are holy roller types everywhere, I get that, we have them in Judaism too. Santorum seems to me like a somewhat different phenomenon, though; his views (on contraception etc.) are recognizably Catholic, and there's something vaguely Catholic too about the earnest wonkishness with which he discusses ethical issues, but the way he frames stuff, all these emotionally charged doom'n'gloom narratives about Satan and our collective national spiritual downfall and all that, that just really hits my ear as odd and unexpected coming from a Catholic. Has nothing direct to do with his policy platform, but like everyone else I like to be able to locate a politician in some social context that makes sense to me, and I'm having a bit of a hard time doing that with Santorum.

My great uncle (Catholic Irish) who emigrated to Florida when he was around 19 has an awful lot of similar views to Santorum, as I do believe a lot of his family....he's been to Haiti to cast out demons and what not, and if fond of believing Obama to be part of the New World Order as well. It's a very weird Catholic, evangelical and conspiracy theory hybrid, that I have heard espoused by no one other than him and some of his family, my dad is a fairly traditional Catholic and he is of the firm view that his uncle is no longer one with the church so to speak.

Biden in 2016, not likely at all.

If Obama ends on a high note, the economy doing well and with a popularity in the 60s one might speculate.

Bush 1 and Gore were seen as major contributors to successful and popular administrations. And they both were able win.

Santorum seems to me like a somewhat different phenomenon, though; his views (on contraception etc.) are recognizably Catholic, and there's something vaguely Catholic too about the earnest wonkishness with which he discusses ethical issues

my mother was raised as Catholic as they come, and in many ways, is still authentically Catholic -- hated Bush, hated the Iraq War, things the fundies are bonkers, obviously believed in birth control, pro-choice (for *her* daughter at least), and a bit irritated at taxes. and while she thinks Santorum's a nutball, i can tell that there is something in his manner and demeanor that she responds to. i think there are characteristics that are recognizably "Catholic" and i've had enough exposure to Catholicism that some kind of Catholic-dar goes off, even if i can't quite put a name to it or adequately put it into words.

it's like he speaks like a Catholic, but the words are all "Jesus Camp" cray-cray.

No chance of Biden in 2016, IMO.
We all know who the Democratic nominee will be in 2016, if she wants it.

But outside of her, I saw Russ Feingold on Jon Stewart last night.
He wrote a book...seemed like odd timing...then I thought - he's thinking about 2016.

If Obama's second term is deemed a success ala Clinton's second term (minus the Lewinsky witchhunt) then I think Hillary Clinton is the nominee in 2016.

She'll be treated (by the party) as the effective incumbent VP like Gore in 2000. And even though Bradley made a decent run at Gore, it wasn't ever that close. So while most frontrunners get knocked off their perch (Dean in 2004, Rudy in 2008, etc.) I think HRC is more like Gore in that respect.

I don't disagree with those speculations, but so much can happen between now and then. Will any of you say that anyone would have suggested Obama in Feb of 2004? or even McCain for 2008. If anyone remembers, the GOP establishment hated McCain in 2004.

Hilary would be turning 69 right before the 2016 election. Her supporters last time skewed older to begin with, so plenty of them will croak between now and then. I just don't see her being a slam dunk nominee when she's eight years older than when she last ran an uninspiring campaign.

I do think she's planning on running though. That's why she said she plans to step down after Obama is re-elected and finds a successor. It lets her start running in 2015.

To me Rick Santorum doesn't even seem Catholic and definitely seems more evangelical. Maybe part of it is where I live and grew up, maybe Catholics elsewhere are far more conservative. I don't think of PA as being like that so I don't know. Supposedly his political (not personal) position on abortion used to be more moderate, so maybe he's become more conservative like Romney has.

I don't see Hillary running, I do think she wants to just enjoy the rest of her life. Especially if Chelsea has any kids. After watching that Clinton PBS special I can't say I'd blame her one bit.

The middle of PA is much more conservative, but it's generally overwhelmed by the east and west sides when it comes to full elections. But yeah, it has its affects. I go to a major university, yet it's quite conservative because of it's surroundings.

abcnews.com

By Elicia Dover
Feb 20, 2012 9:02pm
Gingrich: Obama Is ‘Dangerous,’ Defeating Him ‘a Duty of National Security’

TULSA, Okla. — While discussing the threat of Iran today to a crowd of about 4,000 people at Oral Roberts University, Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said that defeating Barack Obama was “in fact, a duty of national security.”

“Because the fact is, he is incapable of defending the United States,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich told the crowd, many of them young students, there was a real threat of an American city being wiped out. Gingrich said the Obama administration refuses to acknowledge radical Islamists.

“All of you should be very deeply concerned about national security. Barack Obama is the most dangerous president in modern American history,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich said the Obama administration was demonstrating “willful dishonesty” over describing what motivated the suspected terrorist from Morocco, who was arrested Friday by FBI agents for allegedly plotting to blow up the Capitol.

“Any honest person knows what motivated the person who came here,” Gingrich said. “This is not smearing everybody, this is not Islamaphobia. If we can’t have honest conversation about radical Islamists and we can’t figure out — there is a very specific group of people across the planet — there’s a very specific desire to kill us.”

Gingrich said the Obama administration was intellectually disarmed and incapable of describing threats that face the United States.

“The president wants to unilaterally weaken the United States, he wants to cut the aide to Israel for its anti-ballistic missile defense, he refuses to take Iran seriously,” Gingrich said. “We are in a world that is very dangerous. And I say this to those of you who represent the next generation because you’re going to bear the consequences.”

Yep. He's so dangerous he's only put out an order to get rid of bin Laden and supported uprisings that toppled other dictators in Arab nations :rolleyes:. What exactly would you do instead, then, Newt?

He was speaking at Oral Roberts University. I've heard about that place :crack:.

As for Santorum...if he claimed he belonged to a religion I followed, I'd be deeply embarrassed on behalf of my religion and its followers.

Gingrich, I think, is trying to take a page from Steve Jobs' playbook and create a "reality distortion field" around his speeches. Trouble is, it works best when you're merely exaggerating things. Gingrich is just making stuff up.

I'm embarrassed by many of Santorum's professed views and that he's now a serious candidate. Not at all embarrassed that by the religious aspect, he doesn't represent me or my beliefs in any way and he's not a spokesperson for any or all Catholics. Individuals have minds and opinions of their own.

^ a brisk walk on a tread mill, is the most one could hope hor

watching the CNN debate on delay right now
this 2 shot edit is working against Santorum and for Paul

"I will answer whatever I want! Waaah!"

Mitt, what a giant douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom