GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, according to most all reports it looks like the Republican Primary is basically over. Wow. What I thought would be one of the most exciting and dramatic years turned out to be exactly the opposite. It was, for the most part, a clown show from beginning to end. In a year that had all the potential for a "new Ronald Reagan" figure to emerge (you guys don't know how lucky we all are that it didn't happen) that figure just failed to materialize. Now they are left with a flip flopping Mormon who half the Republican voters can't stand and will NOT vote for. The only wild card is Romney's VP choice. If he picks a "moderate" that means you guys have another four years at least until the "Dark Horse" comes a marching. If he doesn't, anything could happen. I guess we should breath a small sigh of relief that Republican voters and candidates were not as cunning and devious as I had come to believe they were. The problem remains though that after another 4 years of Obama they will NOT let 2016 slip away...so enjoy these last 4 years folks...the time is not quite nigh!!

The problem remains though that after another 4 years of Obama they will NOT let 2016 slip away...so enjoy these last 4 years folks...the time is not quite nigh!!

This is something that troubles me deeply, yes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the GOP just bides its time waiting for a proper rebellion in a year when they know they have a legitimate shot to regain control.

I'm kinda glad to think the primaries are pretty much done and we can move on from here on out. This was a show of, "Let's see how far to the right we can go" more than anything else, and it wasn't entertaining me, it was scaring the crap out of me. If/when Gingrich drops out, I'll just be happy as can be that I don't have to listen to him or Santorum spout their loony BS on a regular basis anymore (presuming, of course, that they aren't VP nominees or some political publication or media outlet of some kind doesn't make them pundits).

Like I said before, though, I will thoroughly enjoy watching the Republicans talk about how they'll stand behind Romney through clenched teeth. It's kind of funny to see them not getting what they wanted and being stuck with Stock Politician 2.0.

No more Santorum bs :yippie:

"Other people" We womenfolk are such freaking morons. We know nothing about politics or economics, and we need men to control our bodies and our uteri too.

http://jezebel.com/5900852/men-like...r-informed-than-other-people-says-herman-cain

Men Like Mitt Romney Because They’re Better Informed Than ‘Other People,’ Says Herman Cain

"Yes, President Obama is very likable to most people, if you just look at him and his family. But if you look at his policies, which is what most people disagree with, it's a different story. And I think many men are much more familiar with the failed policies than a lot of other people, as well as the general public."

Can someone explain why you're only allowed two terms? Like if Obama wins this year, and then let's say does a really awesome job up until 2016, why does he have to go? It seems a bit like "well, let's give everybody a go". What if the candidates in 2016 suck?

It came about when many were concerned with the abuse of power. Coming from a monarchy, many were fearful of one person having power for too long.

Throughout the last few decades people have tried to repeal this ammendment, starting when Reagan was president(interesting given how much conservatives try and treat the Constitution as some divinely written not up to interpretation document) and a few Democrats since then, but it's never really gained any momentum.

I completely understand the reasoning, but in the same breath very much on the fence. Part of me likes the idea of term limits for Congress, when you have some career politicians it seems like the longer you're in the more affected you are, therefore more prone to always favor the system over the people. But still there are some long term members that have done great things for this country and at the end of the day shouldn't it be up to the people?

Classy thoughts from Cain there, as always :up:. Such sweet talkers, those guys-and the Republicans can't figure out why women are backing away from them as quickly as possible.

I'm in agreement with BVS's post on that issue, and the "up to the people to decide" thing is the strongest point I could think of for being against term limits, and a great point at that. But ultimately, I would have to lean towards supporting term limits, no matter how awesome the candidate. We've seen how power can corrupt people when they're only there a few short years, I'd shudder to think of what could happen if someone just had unlimited power. Even good people can get corrupted, or if not that, get stuck in their own era's mindset and not be aware of the changes and needs of the coming generations.

And no term limits sound great if it's a candidate you like, definitely, like Obama. But imagine a President Santorum, for instance, being president for as long as he wants.

Can someone explain why you're only allowed two terms? Like if Obama wins this year, and then let's say does a really awesome job up until 2016, why does he have to go? It seems a bit like "well, let's give everybody a go". What if the candidates in 2016 suck?
presidents had unofficially done it for ages since that was how many terms washington served before he decided to retire. the only president we've ever had to serve more than two is fdr - he served three, was elected for four (he died before his fourth term started). it was made official after he died when the amendment was added to the constitution.

and yes like angela said, you've also got to look at the worst of it too. bush could still be president if it weren't for the term limitations. i frankly think we should have these in place for all levels of government office. i'm sick of career politicians, and i don't see how an 80 year old senator is fucking helpful anyway. eight years is plenty of time to do your thing and hand the reins over to someone else. if you were good, it'd be whoever you endorsed. if the tides have turned, then the other side gets a shot.

and cain's irrelevant. i hadn't even thought of him since he left the race in disgrace. this is just a way for him to get a headline, plain and simple. he needs to sit down.

I agree with one-term for each candidate. From a town mayor to the President, no one should be a career politician. As the saying goes, in with the new, out with the old.

PhilsFan said:
Every position should be one term. That way no one legislates with re-election in mind.

And instead they legislate with the person paying for their golf trip to Scotland in mind? Or else totally ignore their constituents?

Being beholden to constituents can be both good and bad.

They should just put all of the tax dollars that pay the politicians in a big pool and have the state vote on who gets what.

That'll teach em to give the people what they want.

I'd like to take a different tack and suggest that the president should be elected for life unless he loses the support of the Praetorian guard or incurs the wrath of God (as evidenced by famine/plague/tsunami/appearance of better armed rival).

I'd like to take a different tack and suggest that the president should be elected for life unless he loses the support of the Praetorian guard or incurs the wrath of God (as evidenced by famine/plague/tsunami/appearance of better armed rival).

Or votes contrary to the hive mind on EYKIW.

(Newser) – Asked today if Mitt Romney supports an equal-pay for women law, the candidate's campaign declined to answer—a gaffe that President Obama's campaign quickly picked up and ran with. Romney's campaign was asked about the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act—the first bill Obama signed into law, which expands workers' ability to sue over pay discrepancies—on a conference call, and responded with, "We'll get back to you on that."

Ledbetter herself slammed the non-answer in a statement sent out by the Obama campaign, accusing Romney of not standing up for women, and David Axelrod tweeted that it was a "tough day on the Mitt Rehab With Women Tour." A Romney campaign spokesperson responded that the candidate "supports pay equity for women. The real question is whether President Obama supports jobs for women," since "women account for more than 92% of jobs lost under Barack Obama." CNN calls it "the first skirmish of the general election."

I hate that crap, she had no business saying that about Ann Romney. Being a stay at home mother is a job and an important one. Mrs. Romney was lucky enough to have that luxury but I've never heard her judge anyone who isn't that lucky. She made a choice, yes-and she had the luxury of that choice. It's all about personal choice, and women shouldn't be judging each other for it. Bad political move too.

Democrat's comment about Ann Romney creates firestorm on Twitter

(CNN) – Democratic Strategist Hilary Rosen generated instant bipartisan criticism Wednesday night for her statement that Ann Romney has "actually never worked a day in her life."

The reaction on Twitter from high level politicos was instant and virtually unanimous: Rosen had gone too far.

Rosen's comment also prompted Ann Romney herself to make her twitter debut.

"I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys," Romney tweeted. "Believe me, it was hard work."

Rosen, also a CNN political contributor and a working mother, made her comments on CNN's "AC360."

"What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country, saying, 'Well, you know, my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues, and when I listen to my wife, that's what I'm hearing.' Guess what? His wife has actually never worked a day in her life," Rosen said.

"She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing, in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and why do we worry about their future," Rosen continued, adding that Romney "just seems so old fashioned when it comes to women."

Her comments drew instant criticism on Twitter from campaign advisers on both sides of the aisle, as well as one of Romney's sons.

Josh Romney posted that his mother "is one of the smartest, hardest working woman I know. Could have done anything with her life, chose to raise me."

The senior adviser to President Barack Obama's reelection bid also took to Twitter to distance the campaign from the comments.

"Also Disappointed in Hilary Rosen's comments about Ann Romney," David Axelrod wrote. "They were inappropriate and offensive."

Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter posted, "Families must be off limits on campaigns, and I personally believe stay at home moms work harder than most of us do."

Several press aides to Romney's campaign - Andrea Saul, Ryan Williams, and Amanda Henneberg - posted links tying Obama to Rosen, such as her appointment as a DNC adviser and her appearance at a White House event.

Romney campaign strategist Eric Fehrnstrom wrote: "Obama adviser Hilary Rosen goes on #CNN to debut their new "kill Ann" strategy, and in the process insults hard-working moms."

Eric Erickson, a CNN political contributor and editor of a conservative website, appeared on the same panel as Rosen, and tweeted, "If raising 5 sons through breast cancer and MS isn't a real job, I'm not sure what is."

The comment drew criticism from a Republican member of Congress, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington, who posted, "Wrong. Being a mom is a full-time job."

Rosen explained her comments in a post on the social networking site.

"When I said @AC360 Ann Romney never worked I meant she never had to care for her kids AND earn a paycheck like MOST American women! #Truth," she wrote.

She later posted a direct comment to Romney.

"Please know, I admire you. But your husband shouldn't say you are his expert on women and the economy."

No it's not a choice that most women have. I get that general point, but don't say that she's never worked a day on her life. Does she understand the economic struggles of women who haven't had the financial advantages that she has had? As much as she can try to, I suppose.

by Hilary Rosen

My Twitter feed was on fire after an appearance last night on CNN's AC360, where I said that I thought it was wrong for Mitt Romney to be using his wife as his guide to women's economic struggles when she "had never worked a day in her life." Oh my, you should read the tweets and the hate mail I got after that. The accusations were flying. I don't know what it means to be a mom (I have 2 children). I obviously don't value the work that a mother does and how hard it is (the hardest job I have ever had); and I absolutely hate anyone who doesn't have the same views as I do (hate is a strong word).

Spare me the faux anger from the right who view the issue of women's rights and advancement as a way to score political points. When it comes to supporting policies that would actually help women, their silence has been deafening. I don't need lectures from the RNC on supporting women and fighting to increase opportunities for women; I've been doing it my whole career. If they want to attack me and distract the public's attention away from their nominee's woeful record, it just demonstrates how much they just don't get it.

My favorite tweet was from someone who said that Republicans like Ann Romney so much more than Mitt that by attacking her (which I didn't), I got people to defend him in a way they never would.

That last one I can actually understand.

Now let's be clear on one thing. I have no judgements about women who work outside the home vs. women who work in the home raising a family. I admire women who can stay home and raise their kids full-time. I even envy them sometimes. It is a wonderful luxury to have the choice. But let's stipulate that it is NOT a choice that most women have in America today.

Why does this even matter? It matters purely because Mitt Romney put the issue of his wife's views squarely on the table.

As Ruth Marcus noted in her column yesterday in the Washington Post, Romney, when asked last week about the gender gap, twice said he wished his wife could take the question.

"My wife has the occasion, as you know, to campaign on her own and also with me," Romney told newspaper editors, "and she reports to me regularly that the issue women care about most is the economy."

So it begs the question, is Ann Romney Mitt's touchstone for women who are struggling economically or not? Nothing in Ann Romney's history as we have heard it -- hardworking mom she may have been -- leads me to believe that Mitt has chosen the right expert to get feedback on this problem he professes to be so concerned about.

I have nothing against Ann Romney. She seems like a nice lady who has raised nice boys, struggled with illness, and handles its long-term effects with grace and dignity. I admire her grit in talking about her illness publicly.

What is more important to me and 57% of current women voters is her husband saying he supports women's economic issue because they are the only issues that matter to us and then he fails on even those.

Let's put aside for a moment his views on women's health issues -- such as his pledge to repeal funding for Planned Parenthood or repeal title X -- which provides important health services for poor women, and true anecdotes (such as when he was a Bishop in his church, he actually went to a congregant's hospital room and told a young single mother who had just given birth that she was shaming the church and should give her baby away). Let's put those issues of respect and health dignity away.

Let's just focus on his economic record on behalf of women. When Romney ran Bain Capital, less than 10% of the senior workforce were women. And he said in his 1994 Senate race that it was because he had trouble finding qualified women to be executives. Is there a woman alive who believes that? I personally believe that women hate the way our health issues were made a political football by the Republicans in the last several months. But I am pragmatic enough to believe that the economic issues do matter greatly to women and men alike. But the only way that Mitt Romney will succeed in closing the wide gender gap between him and President Obama is if he stops pretending that it doesn't exist.

Santorum suspends GOP presidential campaign - latimes.com

well, this really is not news

except for the fact that Romney will be burning less cash in these primaries
and the November election will be the only focus now.

so anal lube guy aborted his campaign and is taking a handout from the romney campaign to pay off his debts?

how this man has not been forced into electroshock therapy yet, i do not understand.

he is the biggest pile of monkey crap walking the earth today.

so do you all think the lack of competition now will only hurt Romney? he's trailing Obama by 20% in the polls and i just don't see him as strong enough to make up that ground.

so do you all think the lack of competition now will only hurt Romney? he's trailing Obama by 20% in the polls and i just don't see him as strong enough to make up that ground.

I think that if Romney doesn't absolutely dominate the GOP polls now against Newt and Paul, it's going to hurt him big time.

We got that Presidential (two) term limit Amendment not only because of FDR but Ike.
The Democrats knew Ike would have been a multiple term President as well.

Where are you getting that from?

RCP has Obama +5.3%

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

& an interesting article in Rasmussen reminding us its still early with a long way to go...

Romney Trails Obama, but Key Numbers Break His Way - Rasmussen Reports�

Romney Trails Obama, but Key Numbers Break His Way

A Commentary by Michael Barone

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Now that Rick Santorum has "suspended" his campaign, we can stop pretending and can say what has been clear for weeks: Mitt Romney will be the Republican nominee for president. The general election campaign has begun.

In some quarters, it is assumed that Barack Obama will be re-elected without too much difficulty. There are reports that staffers at Obama's Chicago headquarters consider Romney's candidacy a joke.

One suspects the adults there take a different view. For the fundamentals say that this will be a seriously contested race, with many outcomes possible. Obama's job-approval numbers in the realclearpolitics.com average of recent polls hover at 48 percent positive, 47 percent negative. That's on the cusp between victory and defeat.

Obama leads Romney in recent polls by 48 to 43 percent. Note that Obama's percentage does not exceed his job approval. And Romney does not maximize the potential Republican vote.

Romney carries bruises, some self-inflicted, from the primary process, and his unfavorable numbers far outnumber his favorables. He got more negative than positive press coverage (interestingly, on Fox News as well as mainstream media) even as he was winning the nomination.

One reason is that his campaign and the super PAC backing him have spent most of their ad dollars battering down successive rivals who rose in the polls. The positive case for Romney has gotten much less of an airing.

But general elections involving sitting presidents usually turn out to be verdicts on the incumbent. Challengers who meet minimal standards tend to win if most voters want the incumbent out.

Which is, or is close to being, the case today. Note that the two national pollsters who limit their samples to likely voters, Rasmussen and Bloomberg, show the race a tie. Obama does better with the larger universes of registered voters and all adults. But polls show that this year, unlike 2008, Republicans are more enthusiastic about voting than Democrats.

You see a similar picture when you look at polls in the 11 states that were close last time and are generally considered targets now. Not on the list are Indiana and Missouri, whose 21 electoral votes seem safely Republican this time, and New Mexico, whose five electoral votes seem safe Democratic.

Recent polls in these 11 states show Obama ahead of Romney in every state but Iowa. But they also show him topping 50 percent only in Wisconsin.

Obama seems to be running slightly better than last time in Ohio, Florida and North Carolina, and slightly weaker in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Iowa, and about the same in Virginia, Colorado and Nevada, with no recent polling in New Hampshire.

Obama has not sewn up any of these 11 states, which have 144 electoral votes. Without them, and without the 11 in Indiana and one in Nebraska he carried last time, he would have only 205 electoral votes, 65 short of the needed majority.

And 2008 is not the only possible benchmark. In the 2010 congressional elections, Republicans carried the popular vote for the House in all 11 of these states. They went into the election with only 56 of these states' 126 House seats and came out with 82.

Voters' issue focus this year looks more like that of 2010 than 2008. Even polls showing Obama ahead also show most voters rate him negatively on the top issues, jobs and the economy. Neither the stimulus package nor Obamacare evokes positive feelings.

The president has been reduced to trash-talking the Supreme Court, leaving his press secretary to tidy up afterward. He has been spending a week playing up the Buffett rule, a tax proposal raising capital gains rates on very high earners that would net little revenue.

That polls well in a vacuum. But more extended surveys, like one recently conducted for the moderate Third Way group, show most voters prefer limiting government and putting economic growth ahead of "an economy based on fairness."

That's closer to Mitt Romney's view than Barack Obama's. Obama and his party have bet everything on the notion that economic distress would make Americans favor a bigger government. That turned out to be a losing bet.

Romney and his party are betting that voters are ready for market-oriented reforms. Despite his political tin ear, Romney has been making progress in honing this message.

Meanwhile Obama is flailing. That's not the behavior of an incumbent president confident of winning re-election.

Michael Barone, senior political analyst for The Washington Examiner, is a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, a Fox News Channel contributor and a co-author of The Almanac of American Politics.

It's amazing that some people might think this election is already in the bag. If you are one of the 51% of Americans that pay taxes, do you really like your return on investment?

Obama Bucks - YouTube

RCP has Obama +5.3%

& an interesting article in Rasmussen reminding us its still early with a long way to go...

It's amazing that some people might think this election is already in the bag. If you are one of the 51% of Americans that pay taxes, do you really like your return on investment?

Obama Bucks - YouTube

i heard it in passing on my local news that Obama leads 57% to 38% in a national poll. it was probably my liberal media though.

damn librols!

RCP has Obama +5.3%

Obama Bucks - YouTube

Rasmussen if they can't rig the numbers, they will definitely spin the explanation.

And once again I'm appalled at how you fall for this ultra right "logic" with that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom