GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire GOP establishment, and much of the Democrats who depend on donations from defense contractors, are still scared of the "red menace".

America is a country that can't get over its own Cold War period.

Count me as a Mitt man after tonight. Loved his speech tonight but especially this framing of the choice Americans will have this fall.

The president has pledged to "transform" America and he's spent the last four years laying the foundation for a new government-centered society. I will spend the next four years rebuilding the foundation of an opportunity society led by free people and free enterprises.

Mitt gets it :up: even down to understanding the important distinction between free enterprise and capitalism.

Oh, please.

First off, yes, Republicans have a great understanding of the word "free" when it comes to people, sure.

Second, yeah, capitalism is doing so horribly in the country right now, those Wall Street guys are REALLY hurting badly and corporations are suffering soooooooo much right now.

Not to mention, let's wait and see if Mitt's still holding that same position tomorrow, let alone a week from now.

Count me as a Mitt man after tonight. Loved his speech tonight but especially this framing of the choice Americans will have this fall..
More like a Mitt man not Obama man?

That's the usual choice I get when voting absentee ballot for US elections....I vote "not the other guy".

It's rather ironic you're highlighting a Romney quote that is nothing more than the same brand of empty populism from Obama '08 that turned sour pretty quickly.

Count me as a Mitt man after tonight. Loved his speech tonight but especially this framing of the choice Americans will have this fall.

Mitt gets it :up: even down to understanding the important distinction between free enterprise and capitalism.

Wasn't it the right that accused folks of voting for a man based on making good speeches?

INDY500 said:
Good luck finding a notable quotation from President Obama on personal liberty.

Because an interracial child, raised by a single mother, who worked his way up from a lower middle class upbringing to the most powerful position in the world would know nothing of the subject?

Good luck finding a notable quotation from President Obama on personal liberty.

President Obama obviously doesn't believe in personal liberty.

But I do have an unyielding belief that all people yearn for certain things: the ability to speak your mind and have a say in how you are governed, confidence in the rule of law and the equal administration of justice, government that is transparent and doesn't steal from the people, the freedom to live as you choose.

I will be interested to see how Romney is going to shrug off the fact that the Ryan budget proposes spending $ 4.6 trillion on tax cuts over a ten-year period.

Spending cuts and lower deficits, indeed! :hmm:

You can bet that little juicy tidbit got shuffled into the deck of DNC talking points for November.

The opinion of one leading analyst (college-educated, not downhome tootin', most likely elitist), via The Diplomat.

Republicans and the Smithsonian
By Jason Miks
April 3, 2012

“You can still find the Rockefeller wing of the Republican Party – it’s in the back hallway of the Smithsonian museum.”

That was leading U.S. political analyst Charlie Cook’s assessment of the state of the party at the seminar at Loyola University in New Orleans I mentioned last week. “It’s not enough to be conservative now,” he said. “You have to be passionate – you have to show you’re angry.”

Voters head to the polls in two states and the District of Columbia today in the latest round of voting in the Republican primary process. But, according to Cook, the race is as good as done. “This thing’s over. It doesn’t seem like it is, but it’s over…So I wish the anchors on these election night specials would switch to decaff by about 4 pm.”

Certainly frontrunner Mitt Romney could take another step forward tonight if he manages to sweep the contests, something that polls show him on course to do. The only real chance for his main rival, Rick Santorum, is for a surprise win in Wisconsin. But with the Republican establishment now more openly coalescing around Romney, it would still take a minor political miracle – even for a race that has had seven different frontrunners – to upend the Romney bandwagon at this stage.

Looking ahead, Cook said that the election is likely going to be won or lost on the economy, and the most reliable indicators for predicting the result, he said, are real disposable income and the president’s job approval rating.

“I think the outcome has two-thirds to do with the economy in the next seven months. If it continues as it is, Obama wins.”

Still, Cook said there’s also a political element. “How will he (Romney) make the turn, and how long will it take him to reposition himself and get back to appeal to independent voters?”

“I think this is going to close up and be an awfully, awfully close race.”

Either way, Sarah Palin has suggested that the eventual Republican nominee choose someone such as herself as a running mate, The Hill reports today.

“What I would advise the nominee, Mitt Romney, or whomever the nominee is: Don't necessarily play it safe and do just what the GOP establishment expects them to do.” Palin said.

With Romney looking like an increasingly sure bet, the media is increasingly turning to such issues, but when I asked Cook about this, he warned against any such transformational selections. He also questioned the logic of nominees picking someone who fills in their blanks, noting, for example, the success that Bill Clinton had with fellow southerner Al Gore. Instead, he said it’s better to pick candidates that reinforce the message of the candidate himself.

So, who would he recommend that Romney pick if he does indeed become the nominee?

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels and Ohio Sen. Rob Portman both sprang to mind when I asked Cook for some suggestions.

I’ll have something on the results later.

I will be interested to see how Romney is going to shrug off the fact that the Ryan budget proposes spending $ 4.6 trillion on tax cuts over a ten-year period.

What's the source for that number? Ryan proposes lowering tax rates but also eliminating tax loopholes and deductions with a goal of neutrality. And reductions in corporate tax rates to spur economic growth.

:up:

President Obama obviously doesn't believe in personal liberty.

Any speeches given in this country to Americans?

My point is the president doesn't speak in terms of personal liberty but instead in the language of group rights and collective responsibility. His goal isn't equal opportunity for all but "social justice" and equality of outcome.
It's also clear that he views moral belief systems practiced outside the domain of government to be, at best, inconvenient and at worst, dangerous.

What's the source for that number?
Forbes, then back to an analysis from the Tax Policy Center (which is regarded as left-leaning by some on the other side of the asile).

Via Forbes:
  • TPC looked only at the tax reductions in Ryan’s plan, which also included offsetting–but unidentified–cuts in tax credits, exclusions, and deductions.
  • TPC found that in 2015, relative to today’s tax system, those making $1 million or more would enjoy an average tax cut of $265,000 and see their after-tax income increase by 12.5 percent.
  • By contrast, half of those making between $20,000 and $30,000 would get no tax cut at all. On average, people in that income group would get a tax reduction of $129. Ryan would raise their after-tax income by 0.5 percent.
  • Nearly all middle-income households (those making between $50,000 and $75,000) would see their taxes fall, by an average of roughly $1,000. Ryan would increase their after-tax income by about 2 percent.
  • Ryan would extend all of the 2001/2003 tax cuts, and then consolidate individual rates to just two—10 and 25 percent.
  • Earlier this week, TPC projected the tax cuts in Ryan’s budget would add $4.6 trillion to the federal deficit over the next decade, even after extending the 2001/2003 tax cuts, which would add another $5.4 trillion to the deficit.

We are talking individual tax rates here. This is not the tax policy of a man who actually gives s flying fuck about deficit reduction. Compare the after tax income changes...this is nothing but a handout to the upper crust of society.

I do support cutting corporate taxes, however, as Ryan has proposed. As well as simplifying the tax code.

I dug up a four-year old counterpoint from some blogger at NewsBusters, if you want (one of my favourite right-wing light reading sources...they sure love putting exclamation points in headlines!).

My point is the president doesn't speak in terms of personal liberty but instead in the language of group rights and collective responsibility. His goal isn't equal opportunity for all but "social justice" and equality of outcome.
Hold on. Why is social justice at odds with personal liberty all of a sudden? Why are these things mutually exclusive, either/or ideas?

One could make the argument that patriotism (at least the kind that accomplishes anything worthwhile) wouldn't exist without collective responsibility.

Last edited:
Gosh, what a shame.

(Best wishes to the family in regards to their sick little daughter, though. No, really!)

Romney was already pivoting to the national campaign over the last few weeks in his rhetoric, as well as Obama. I think having a definitive target now helps both campaigns as they ramp up for the national conventions.

Santorum suspends GOP presidential campaign - latimes.com

well, this really is not news

except for the fact that Romney will be burning less cash in these primaries
and the November election will be the only focus now.

Not news? It just basically ended the GOP primaries. That's pretty big news. This thing was definitely going all the way to Tampa previous to that.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to votes going towards Newt and Paul at this point. Is there really a 'real conservative' vote that refuses to vote for Romney? Despite the fact that he's pretty much a lock for the nomination now, it's going to be very telling if people still wont vote for him by majority in some states such as Texas. That could have big implications for the 2012 elections come November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom