GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. And my prediction came true....figured the evangelicals were underrepresented in polling as always. 41% of voters (or something like that) were still undecided the night before. If you haven't decided yet, it's clear that you weren't going to vote for Romney and were simply mulling over which uber-conservative to give your vote to.

I hope I'm not the only one who found it funny that CNN, on their election Smartboard, put Santorum's counties in purple. :wink:

There's still a few more precincts, supposedly. Google added another one or two and now Santorum's lead is down to 13 votes. Not sure if that's all of them yet. If Romney loses, he clearly would have won had the caucus been on Monday. If Santorum loses, he clearly would have won had the caucus been on Wednesday. What a difference a day makes when your party can't field a serious contender to Obama. :lol:

Santorum leading by 4 votes. I believe there's only one precinct that hasn't been reported yet.

So, the one remaining precinct is from the town of Clinton in Clinton County. Four of the precincts from that town favored Romney tonight, two favored Santorum, and one was a tie. I'd say the odds are in Romney's favor to make gains....but enough to cover the 4 vote spread?

Yep, it looks like it's all over. No other "missing" precincts have been reported for hours. It'll be an even easier course to the nomination for Romney now that he's won Iowa and will grab some headlines.

if this is part three of

the one Yolland started last Sept:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/gop-nominee-2012-who-will-it-be-pt-2-a-212412.html

than this title is not appropriate, it is more like a one off reply

this GOP nomination process, will go on for a few months,
there should be a thread with an appropriate title

I don't participate in these threads (though I do a fair amount of lurking) and I was thinking about coming in here and saying the same thing. I completely agree with deep. For one of the most active threads in the entire forum, this is a bad title.

Sorry. Nothing personal, just think it's a bad thread title. Carry on.

:huh: man you people are wound up tighter than a yoyo. Change the thread title back to the boring one then and continue, no need to cite sources and outside witnesses.

See ya

Maybe yolland could change it to a mix of the two:

GOP yada yada part 3: Win One For the Gipper.

We do get a lot of visitors in here during election time.

So a more appropriate title would be helpful.

Why not just go with:

GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3

you are a regular in here,
imagine if you just came in here to discuss the GOP primaries today for the first time,
I do think the people that provide this site would like it to useful to more than just a few insiders

and is a 'cry baby' smiley really appropriate?
what does that have to do with the GOP nominations?

Just watched both the Santorum and Romney speeches. For Santorum, loads of completely meaningless drinking material in there - "Those hands dug up freedom", "If it's good enough for Reagan" etc etc... and Romney... what a creep. Well done.

Pour one out for Michele Bachmann. SHe has suspended her campaign. Sniff.

Reporting from West Des Moines, Iowa—
In the wake of a bottom-feeder finish in the Iowa GOP caucuses, Michele Bachmann ended a presidential bid Wednesday that once held so much promise in this state.

“Last night, the people of Iowa spoke with a very clear voice, and so I have decided to stand aside,” she said at a morning press conference. Bachmann called on Republicans to unify behind the ultimate nominee, but did not say whom she would support.

It was only five months ago, in August, that Bachmann, an Iowa native, captured the Ames Straw Poll, a test of a candidate’s strength among influential conservatives in the state and a victory that appeared to establish her as a force to be reckoned with.

But that never came to be—and in fact, Bachmann’s decline was quick and irreversible. Rick Perry’s entrance into the race siphoned media attention and money. A series of uneven debate performances, gaffes, factual errors, and staff defections weakened her standing with voters. And her campaign’s decision to try to compete nationally instead of merely hyper-focusing on Iowa may have broken her bond somewhat with the residents here.

The Minnesota congresswoman watched as various other candidates caught fire and then fizzled: Perry, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich. But she never had her second moment in the sun. And when the time came for the social conservatives so crucial to winning the caucuses here to make their choice, they overwhelmingly sided with Rick Santorum, not her, Tuesday night. Bachmann, who was born in Waterloo, Iowa, ended up receiving just 5 % of the vote, compared to Santorum’s 24 %. Mitt Romney edged out Santorum to win the non-binding caucuses.

Bachmann’s departure leaves the GOP race with a smaller field of Romney, Santorum, Gingrich and Ron Paul--although Perry was suggesting Wednesday that he may remain in the race after saying the evening before that he would return to Texas and reassess his candidacy. Her decision should come as welcome news to Santorum, who is trying to convince evangelicals and other social conservatives to coalesce around his revived effort.

But Bachmann gave no hint as to whom she would support in the race; she recently criticized Santorum for voting for earmarks while in the Senate.

A tea party favorite who liked to boast about her “titanium spine” and made her opposition to the Democratic healthcare initiative the center of her campaign, Bachmann now returns to the House, where has a yet to make a decision on whether to run for reelection in her central Minnesota district. Reading from a prepared statement, her voice slightly hoarse, Bachmann said, “I have no regrets, none whatsoever. We never compromised our principles.”

“I look forward to the next chapter of God’s plan,” she said.

Bachmann lost her campaign manager, Ed Rollins, in September, as her poll numbers began to crash. Her New Hampshire staff embarrassingly resigned in October, and last week, she suffered another blow when her Iowa point man, state Sen. Kent Sorenson, left her campaign to support Paul.

She became known for a series of misstatements and historical errors, including suggesting the first battle of the Revolutionary War was fought in New Hampshire, not Massachusetts, warning about the dangers of the Soviet Union, which hasn’t existed for 20 years, contending that a vaccine used to combat human papillomavirus causes mental retardation, and referring to the U.S. embassy in Iran, which has been closed for more than 30 years.

Michele Bachmann ends presidential campaign - latimes.com

Here was my prediction in late December of last year, and in this forum I need to apologize, for more times than not I was spot on-again:

1-Romney
2-Santorum
3-Paul
4-Fatso
5-Perry
6-Michelle
7-Cheeseman

<>

Now Rush is up Santorum's butt, salivating over Santorum's standing in Iowa last night. Rush has become the national anti Romney spokesman.

I fear that Gingrich takes on the role of Huckabee from last cycle- essentially abandoning his own fight for the nomination and making his only objective stopping Romney, thereby giving the nomination to Santorum. Of course, he finished poorly in Iowa and will finish 4th at best in NH. Hopefully those two showings leave him broke and with zero credibility as a continuing candidate.

Also, Romney fans should be pleased that Perry, at least for the moment, seems to have reaffirmed his candidacy and is heading to SC.

Also, Romney fans should be pleased that Perry, at least for the moment, seems to have reaffirmed his candidacy and is heading to SC.

Great! Bye :wave:.

Poor Michele. Oh, poor Michele *Tries to hide her smirk*.

She became known for a series of misstatements and historical errors, including suggesting the first battle of the Revolutionary War was fought in New Hampshire, not Massachusetts, warning about the dangers of the Soviet Union, which hasn’t existed for 20 years, contending that a vaccine used to combat human papillomavirus causes mental retardation, and referring to the U.S. embassy in Iran, which has been closed for more than 30 years.

The fact that someone who thinks like this had any sort of shot at the presidency should really terrify way more people than it currently does.

And ditto what BoMac said about Santorum. Rush is apparently liking him now? Well, there's a meeting of the minds!

Poor Mittens. Nobody likes him.

And bloody hell, those $ spent per vote...

Santorum: $20.5
Paul: $103.3
Romney: $154.9
Perry: $478.8

I fear that Gingrich takes on the role of Huckabee from last cycle- essentially abandoning his own fight for the nomination and making his only objective stopping Romney, thereby giving the nomination to Santorum. Of course, he finished poorly in Iowa and will finish 4th at best in NH. Hopefully those two showings leave him broke and with zero credibility as a continuing candidate.

Gingrich does not need any money or staff, all he needs is a plane ticket and a suitcase. He will keep showing up at debates and other public events to get the free exposure and coverage. That is how he rolls.

I really think if he could tilt this to Santorum, he would. He is petty.
His ego is now out in front of his libido.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom