GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite was the mobile chemical labs. They had piping or hoses attached! They moved around a lot! Guys in full body protective clothing operated them! (They're called fire trucks, Colin).

it could happen.

51-3gyzp1GL._SX500_.jpg

I'm just trying to figure out the worldview of someone who thinks it is NOT okay to increase the debt to try and prevent rapes, oppression and murder, but thinks it IS okay to increase the debt for endless funding of green energy, education, and pet projects of all sizes with little discussion, oversight or accountability.

there are different ways to tackle different problems.

discussion, oversight, and accountability are all good things.

I'm just trying to figure out the worldview of someone who thinks it is NOT okay to increase the debt to try and prevent rapes, oppression and murder, but thinks it IS okay to increase the debt for endless funding of green energy, education, and pet projects of all sizes with little discussion, oversight or accountability.
Absolute bullshit.

US foreign policy decisions like intervention, invasion or occupation are made to shape and influence global power and energy concerns. Why did the U.S. participate in action against Libya but not countless other atrocities in 2011?

You can't be this naive just to try and support a flimsy point about poor people in the US and the government debt.

Alinsky Beck has taught you well my friend.

On Thursday, Senator John McCain sat down with Fox News’ Megyn Kelly to discuss the attacks and accusations being lobbed against Mitt Romney, the candidate he has endorsed, and Bain Capital.

McCain criticized Newt Gingrich for disparaging Romney’s time at Bain. “I think that Romney has a basis of support in South Carolina that I think is going to carry him on,” said McCain. “and, in all due respect to Newt Gingrich especially, this is a desperate act. These are desperate times for the Gingrich campaign.”

McCain then discussed what he sees as the alternative to the way Bain does business: Communism.

Keep everybody in business, keep every industry no matter how bad it is. And that’s what communism is, and unfortunately it doesn’t work.

And, look, nobody feels worse than someone who is involved in it when you have to lay people off. But the fact is that there are so many times when you have to improve, you have to cut back, you have to do things.

From NYTimes (January 28, 2008):

Mr. McCain also went after Mr. Romney for his work as head of Bain Capital, a leveraged-buyout firm. “As head of his investment company he presided over the acquisition of companies that laid off thousands of workers.”

:laugh:

Gingrich IS desperate-but that's still funny.

either way, this should generate some good talking points to counter Buffets call for raising my taxes:

Rand Paul returns $500K in office budget to Treasury - POLITICO.com

What exactly is the connection here?

This doesn't say much except that Paul didn't spend 16% of his budget. That's commendable and everything, but what does it say about how well he performed? That wasn't in the article. Did he accomplish anything with the other 84% of his budget?

If every Senator turned in this much where would we be?

Careful with all this Iraq talk fellas. . .Keep it up and it could attract a certain Mole. Someone could get Stung. . . .

:wink:

Seriously though, I think it's important to acknowledge that there is an awful lot of waste that could be trimmed in our government. I feel like too many people, including a lot of us in this forum, are unwilling to concede that the other side might have some valid points.

ok, back on topic.

how is Romney going to convince voters that he should be president because he made a quarter of a billion dollars by firing people and thinks that poor people simply envy him and his success?

discuss.

ok, back on topic.

how is Romney going to convince voters that he should be president because he made a quarter of a billion dollars by firing people and thinks that poor people simply envy him and his success?

discuss.

How did FDR earn his tens of millions of dollars? JFK? Not through work, that's for sure. Yet how did they manage to convince regular people to vote for them in the middle of an economic downturn?

Whatever strategy Romney's using, it isn't hurting. Look at the most recent head-to-head polls in Ohio, Florida, Virginia, heck- even Michigan. Romney is ahead.

How did FDR earn his tens of millions of dollars? JFK? Not through work, that's for sure. Yet how did they manage to convince regular people to vote for them in the middle of an economic downturn?

Whatever strategy Romney's using, it isn't hurting. Look at the most recent head-to-head polls in Ohio, Florida, Virginia, heck- even Michigan. Romney is ahead.

n00t seems to think it's going to work. his ads about Bain are kind of brutal.

FDR and JFK's money came through family. Mitt earned his $250m by his own self.

ok, back on topic.

discuss.

I'm not sure most people are paying that close attention. They should have heard the way Joe Scarborough summed up what Romney, on Lawrence O'Donnells show tonight, does for a living.
" He has to admit to the fact that Bain Capital doesn't do anything for job creation, at all!! It's all about profit, period. This is a capitalist society and that is what Bain did/does."
(so vote for me, lol)

Like you said Irvine, The problem with Mitt is he truly feels that everyone who doesn't subscribe to his ruthless capitalist concept just "envious". :down:

Heh, oh, yeah, way to make things more interesting, Colbert and Stewart :D.

(Hi, Sue :wave:! Long time no see!)

As for other topics, yeah, we really need to get off this claim that success is envied. The GOP candidates talk about how they hate class warfare and think all the stereotypes of the rich are unfair, but then say it's poor people and freeloaders and struggling immigrants mooching off everyone that's causing the country to hurt. They claim to know what it's like to "struggle", BS, they don't know any such thing. Gingrich, Romney, Perry, they wouldn't even begin to know what it's like to live the sort of life people like my family have lived.

the very most Colbert can do is get more votes than Huntsman

he won't best any of the other candidates,
could take don't Paul's numbers a bit and make Newt look stronger,
Romney will still be the clear winner.

I haven't seen it, but I have heard that there's a Gingrich ad attacking Romney for speaking French. I believe Romney recorded a few sentences in French that was played at the Salt Lake Olympics and is not necessarily fluent in the language.

That Gingrich is distorting facts to suit his needs is besides the point, in my view. Even if Romney is fluent in a second language, who cares? To me it's another play for the anti-science, anti-intellectual base of the GOP. And I find that extremely sad.

Isn't Colbert just making a point about PACs? When is the primary? Bet he 'pulls out' on the day before? Don't think he's actually going to 'spoil' the vote.

Colbert won't actually be able to run--the deadline for getting on the SC ballot is long past, and write-ins aren't an option in that primary.

As for the Gingrich campaign's surreal anti-Romney "French connection" ad, it's been either savaged or completely ignored by every conservative publication, blog and website I've seen. The primary theme of the ad is that Romney's from Taxachusetts, "just like John Kerry"; it ticks off a list of Romney's less-than-sterling-conservative accomplishments as governor, then at the end suddenly and bizarrely segues to "...and just like John Kerry [clip of Kerry speaking French], Mitt Romney speaks French!" [clip of Romney speaking French] The background music also shifts to something rather cartoonish-sounding at that point, and it's not clear to me how serious the tone of that portion is actually intended to be. At any rate, it's an absurd line of attack, especially since Gingrich himself speaks French (and used French sources extensively in his doctoral dissertation). It wouldn't necessarily be surprising if Gingrich hadn't personally known about the ad in advance--he should have, of course, but the fact is that candidates' control over that process often slips at the height of the primary-season ad blitz. Then again, Gingrich does have a long history of playing desperate and dirty when besieged.

Last edited:
Judge Rejects GOP Candidates' Request To Be Added To Virginia Ballot | Fox News

it is kind of amazing, that the GOP primaries are basically over before they ever began

we have had one real primary, NH, people did go to the polls and vote, less than 100,000 people voted for Romney, about as many that could fit in the stadium where USC plays football.

and if you look at the actual delegates disbursed, Paul is not far behind Romney.

The evangelical leaders are meeting in Texas right now. They have 2 choices, the honest one, say Santorum is their man. The practical one, so they won't be irrelevant, say Romney has good values and is acceptable.

Let's see if they are honest or practical.

I do believe in 8 days, after SC this is over.
One of the quickest contested nominations conclusions, ever.
( Angel Moroni will be blowing his horn ! )

my guess is they are going to go practical.

and avoid questions about the cult of Mormonism until November.

this will keep the firebrand conservatives from any self reflection. if/when Romney loses, they will say it was because he was too moderate and not conservative enough. like McCain and/or Dole.

ok, back on topic.

discuss.

Well, if the anti-business rhetoric in your post catches on, he may find it difficult.

But that would be a pity because even though Romney's business experience was largely, in a sense, second hand as it with a consultancy, he is still a lot closer to being a candidate that can plausibly get American back to work than Obama, who had little or no political, let alone real world business experience, before taking office.

Isn't Colbert just making a point about PACs? When is the primary? Bet he 'pulls out' on the day before? Don't think he's actually going to 'spoil' the vote.

Pretty much, yes. Still fun, though.

it is kind of amazing, that the GOP primaries are basically over before they ever began

No kidding. It's already so planned out. Supposedly people hate Romney so much and yet he's winning. Either more people are voting for Romney than expected, and nobody's listening at all to voters, or this whole thing's (gasp!) at least slightly rigged (nooooooo). Who knows what the deal is.

As for Gingrich, ugh, can the guy just shut his face and disappear off to be with one of his endless stream of wives or something already?

Well, if the anti-business rhetoric in your post catches on, he may find it difficult.

But that would be a pity because even though Romney's business experience was largely, in a sense, second hand as it with a consultancy, he is still a lot closer to being a candidate that can plausibly get American back to work than Obama, who had little or no political, let alone real world business experience, before taking office.

I don't think you are giving fair credit to the former community organizer. You gotta have mad skills and be a shrewd fighter to rise through the Chicago mafia political scene the way Barry did. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom