GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd call Gingrich a pseudo-intellectual.

next debate, take a drink every time he says "profoundly" or "fundamentally" or thinks that his every thought will "profoundly and fundamentally change the way we live now."
I'd call him a marginal intellectual, considering his running mates for the nomination.

There are plenty of well-rounded, educated, fair, and wise conservatives out there, but it is clear they have no home in the Republican Party of 2011. Or the Democratic Party, for that matter.

Lincoln had the defining characteristic of wisdom. Obama was able to turn that on sporadically during his campaign (none since), and Ron Paul has the ability to summon it occasionally, but otherwise we are plum out of it i Washington or at the state level.

So a question for the conservatives; who are you leaning towards and why?

I'm just curious about where you all stand.

I'm not really a conservative, but i'd like someone to get the economy going again. Therefore:

mitt-romney-rino.jpg

having watched most of the debates, i have no use for any of the of the other guys and i despise the tea party, so for me its either Romney or 4 more years of Obama.

i'd call Gingrich a pseudo-intellectual.

next debate, take a drink every time he says "profoundly" or "fundamentally" or thinks that his every thought will "profoundly and fundamentally change the way we live now."

You wanna get drunk fast just take a shot every time President Obama uses the personal pronoun I, me or mine, during a speech.

You wanna get drunk fast just take a shot every time President Obama uses the personal pronoun I, me or mine, during a speech.

when Gingrich talks about being a "historian" at the price of $1.5m for Fannie and Freddy -- and, remember, you blame a few minorities for the housing collapse, not Wall Street and predatory lending -- then you have to finish your PBR/shot of Jack/Bottle of Chablis.

Yes, I do. Tell me- with a Republican House and Senate, what could Obama possibly dream of accomplishing in his 2nd term? Even Chris Matthews, of all people, expressed that concern. I want someone who knows how to fix the economy and will sign the bills that Congress presents him or her. That person clearly isn't Obama.

So if we had a Democratic congress passing left wing bills, you'd still want the president to sign them no matter what? Or does that only apply if the Republicans are in power?

Well, considering I've voted in one presidential election

Well that explains it...

Stop. This is truly pathetic. I thought better of you than that.

i agree, the "boy" part is probably a bit too far.

but i do think they want someone combative and angry who will shout at the president for being so uppity.

and now they've got him.

I am thinking more about his debate performances (that is the only reason we are even talking baout him now)

aside from the stupid (out of touch) child labor remarks, and I still trying to think how that might play out in swaying the swing voters

he is not as stupid as either Perry, Cain or some of the other candidates
he's been to the dance before, so he knows how to not mis-speak, and if he slips, he knows the best and quickest way to recover. He could be a fairly formidable candidate at this point in time.

I am not as ready to dismiss him as I might have been a few weeks back

Fox is excited. Nominee N00t will he good for ratings, as will a second Obama term.

The only thing that will hurt will be if the economy continues to improve -- how to spin the downside of that?

Irvine511 said:
it seems to me that this is really what the base wants. someone who will get all shouty at Obama during the debates, perhaps call him "boy." :shrug:

Come on, man. Nowhere in my post did I say or imply that. I was simply saying that Obama is an intelligent man, and a good debater, and other than Newt, I'm not sure any of the other GOP'ers could hang with him.

Did anyone read the Parade Magazine article today about Mitt? He's on the cover. The best parts are 1. How his grandchildren call him Ike and call his wife Mamie and 2. The guy who founded Staples talks about how Mitt inspires greatness-when they were opening the first store and Mitt came in and gave an inspirational speech and some of the employees were moved to tears. :sad:

It's probably on their web site if anyone actually wants to read it

I have to say, although a Democrat (or left of that by most Western non-US standards) I really hate the fact that the GOP can't find a semi-decent contender to go up against Obama and really challenge the guy. At least that's how it seems from this point.

Mitt vs. Newt Won't Be Like Hillary vs. Barack
The Atlantic
Elspeth Reeve

The 2012 Republican primary probably won't be much like the 2008 Democratic primary, but Mitt Romney's campaign is organizing just in case the nomination fight against Newt Gingrich lasts all the way into the spring. The New York Times' Trip Gabriel and Jeff Zeleny report that if neither Romney or Gingrich have decisive victories in the early voting states, "Gingrich could be faced with the ultimate challenge to his campaign: the need to survive a war of attrition of the sort for which he is unprepared at the moment." Romney's organized in Alabama, Indiana, Delaware, and lots of other later-voting states, while Gingrich's campaign didn't file the paperwork in time to get on the Missouri caucus ballot. The Washington Post's Philip Rucker, too, reports that Gingrich's campaign is trying to create a huge organization in just a couple weeks, with staffers sending all-caps emergency emails to Republicans in Ohio to get enough signatures to get on that state's ballot. Ohio votes in March, though, and it doesn't seem likely that both guys will be around by then. Not only does Gingrich not have the organization of Obama, he doesn't have the message Republicans want to hear or an army of new voters to help him win in late-voting states.

The establishment candidate is also the organized candidate

Outsider Obama outmaneuvered frontrunner Clinton by organizing in late-voting states, and by having a strong organization in the Iowa caucuses. But this year, the well-organized candidate is also the establishment choice: Romney. Obama's surprise victory in Iowa was thanks to his organization -- really important for Democrats, as Matthew Dowd, who was chief strategist for George W. Bush in 2004, explains at ABC News. But that organization isn't important for Republicans in the state, he says. The Democratic caucus "involves meeting certain mandated thresholds, convening in groups at each caucus, reconvening, and using various mathematical equations that are instrumental to choosing a winner," Dowd writes, but Republicans just show up and vote, and then those votes are counted. That means enthusiasm matters as much as organization.

The Post reports that Gingrich has hired Bush veteran Gordon C. James to build his organization, saying, “I’m just banking on 33 years with the Bush family and all those friends I’ve made to help us do that." But while James might have a lot of friends, Gingrich has a ton of enemies. Sen. Tom Coburn, who was first elected in 1994 -- Gingrich's Republican Revolution -- said on Fox News Sunday that he wasn't "inclined" to support Gingrich. Coburn explained, "There’s all types of leaders. Leaders that instill confidence, leaders that are somewhat abrupt and brisk. Leaders that have one standard for the people that they’re leading and a different standard for themselves. I just found his leadership lacking."

Obama's secret weapon was young people, Gingrich's is old people

Obama was able to bring in new voters outside of the traditional groups that lined up behind Clinton: young people. But Gingrich's "secret weapon," as Talking Points Memo's Benjy Sarlin put it, is old people. Enthusiasm for Gingrich is not among insurgent activists, but seniors.

Gingrich will have a hard time attacking Romney on health care

Another problem Gingrich will have in sustaining the enthusiasm of the piss-off Republican party base is that he's weak on the issue they care about most. Obama had the advantage of a record of being against the Iraq war early on, which appealed to Democrats frustrated by eight years of the Bush administration, while Clinton had voted to authorize the war in 2002. Clinton was seen as much more hawkish. But Gingrich can't make a similar contrast Romney, because in the 1990s he endorsed the part of Obama's health care overhaul -- the individual mandate -- that Republicans hate the most.

Obama had a disciplined campaign, Gingrich doesn't

Obama's campaign valued loyalty -- and no leaking to the press. Obama strategist David Axelrod even told Politico, "There are no assholes. There are going to be no assholes on this campaign.” That helped limit stories about internal bickering that plagued Clinton's campaign. By contrast, Gingrich's campaign staff quit on him this summer, and then proceeded to talk mad smack about him in the press for days.

A long primary gave Obama a lot of time to introduce himself to people who'd never heard of him, while a long primary gives Gingrich a chance to remind people why he was run out of town in 1998

A four- or five-month long process means there'd be lots of time to rehash the Gingrich years: impeachment, ethics probe, marriages, the government shutdown. And a long nomination fight means Gingrich will have more opportunities to indulge in one of his weaknesses -- saying things that make Republicans really mad. Gingrich famously called a Republican plan to overhaul Medicare "right-wing social engineering," and it nearly killed his campaign. In the last couple weeks, Gingrich has already floated amnesty for some illegal immigrants and ending child labor laws.

Did anyone read the Parade Magazine article today about Mitt? He's on the cover. The best parts are 1. How his grandchildren call him Ike and call his wife Mamie and 2. The guy who founded Staples talks about how Mitt inspires greatness-when they were opening the first store and Mitt came in and gave an inspirational speech and some of the employees were moved to tears. :sad:

It's probably on their web site if anyone actually wants to read it

Thank you, i just read it. :up:

A Mitt Romney You Haven't Seen Yet | Parade.com

He's clearly the most qualified and best offering the republicans have to offer. Or, he's the only one of them that doesn't suck.

oh look, Newt is on TV talking about "the Donald" who is a "genuine American icon" and that's why he's going on Republican Apprentice on December 27 so that Trump can hawk his book.

tell me, again, how this is a political party and not an entertainment franchise owned by Fox?

n00t's running for president of white, rural America:

Funny, here's President Obama in 2010 reconnecting with his base of, "young people, African-Americans, Latinos, and women who powered our victory in 2008..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh-yR1HWkbM

No love for the bitter-clingers in white, rural America so why shouldn't Newt court them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom