GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michele Bachmann has spoken out and demanded an apology for the song played by the Roots, the "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" house band, when she was introduced as a guest Monday night. Bachmann called the song, "Lyin' Ass Bitch" by Fishbone, sexist and a sign of Hollywood's bias.

She was unaware of the significance of the song's title at the time, she said, but was later angered to hear its meaning.

"I think the point is," she told Fox News's America's Newsroom, "if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him, none of that happened from NBC and this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite but it’s also I think it’s sexism as well."

How is any different from what what Beck and Rush do on a daily basis?

Oh, I know the difference: Fallon had the decency to apologize. Am I missing something? Is it only indecent when it happens to someone on your side of the aisle?

Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?

And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.

Fallon apologized on twitter. That's hardly good enough. Fallon didn't even have anything to do with it. The Roots need to apologize, as does NBC, not only to the public but directly to the congresswoman.

Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?

I'm not defending them playing that song-even if "snark" is what they usually do (I never watch the show, can't stay up that late), I don't think it's appropriate to play it. Personally can't have a political double standard about that. But I don't think it matters that Rush or Beck say things like that about Michelle O or Hillary or anyone else when they aren't guests on their show. Guest or not, inappropriate all the same.

Fallon is hardly the spot for a political forum. It was a dumb move, but do they really need to apologize? They are held by no journalistic or political standards. People didn't apologize for burning Dixie Chicks CDs, nor did they need to. It was a personal opinion. It's pretty clear The Roots don't speak for NBC in any form or variant. They apparently don't even speak for Fallon either.

Why does no one demand apologies from SNL when they lampoon politicians on a weekly basis?

Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?
You and I both know that neither one of these people are brave enough or intelligent enough to bring someone on that opposed their view. It's why they hate the fairness doctrine. Now who's being silly?

And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.
Apples and oranges. First of all, I don't know Fallon's leanings. Second of all the only reason I bring up Rush and Beck because it seems like the only way you can relate to things.

Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?
I'm not defending this, honestly where do you get this? I just find it ironic that you get so self righteous about something fairly minor about this but defend worse actions by your talking heads.

BTW, we don't need to look much further than your own presidential candidate Cain to find this kind of name calling(and much more directly) towards Nancy.

Fallon is hardly the spot for a political forum. It was a dumb move, but do they really need to apologize? They are held by no journalistic or political standards. People didn't apologize for burning Dixie Chicks CDs, nor did they need to. It was a personal opinion. It's pretty clear The Roots don't speak for NBC in any form or variant. They apparently don't even speak for Fallon either.

Why does no one demand apologies from SNL when they lampoon politicians on a weekly basis?

Regular citizens burning CDs aren't accountable to anyone. They can do whatever they want. Fallon has a responsibility to his sponsors, a responsibility to be a positive representation of his network, and a responsibility to treat his guests with at least some human decency or risk the backlash. That's what's happening now.

And there's a difference between "lampooning" someone on SNL and calling them vile names. Jon Huntsman was on last week- would it have been acceptable to call him to his face something terribly offensive? I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show, what The Roots pulled was pathetic. Tell her backstage that you don't like her policies. Don't be cowards and hide behind a song.

Newest PPP poll of Pennsylvania...why do Republicans hate Mittens?

Newt Gingrich: 32 (6)
Herman Cain: 15 (10)
Rick Santorum: 12 (14)
Mitt Romney: 12 (17)
Ron Paul: 9 (9)
Michele Bachmann: 5 (24)
Rick Perry: 3 (8)
Jon Huntsman: 3 (3)
Gary Johnson: 0 (-)
My state fucking blows.

It was absolutely immature of the Roots to play that song since its title includes the word "bitch," and unfair to Fallon, who probably had no idea what was going on. But "terribly offensive"? Let's settle down. They called her a liar. Big deal. It should be noted that, yes, she is a liar, so it's not really offensive, so much as just a little on the nose.

And why do you care about his sponsors? That's up to them and him. He has no responsibility to you, or the public discourse. He's a late night comedian. His job is to make people laugh, no more and no less. If he fails to do that, then take issue with him. Don't take issue because his band didn't live up to the sponsors' wishes. Why would that even be on your radar?

Regular citizens burning CDs aren't accountable to anyone. They can do whatever they want. Fallon has a responsibility to his sponsors, a responsibility to be a positive representation of his network, and a responsibility to treat his guests with at least some human decency or risk the backlash. That's what's happening now.

And there's a difference between "lampooning" someone on SNL and calling them vile names. Jon Huntsman was on last week- would it have been acceptable to call him to his face something terribly offensive? I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show, what The Roots pulled was pathetic. Tell her backstage that you don't like her policies. Don't be cowards and hide behind a song.

It sounds like Fallon, nor his producers (who have the real responsibility to the sponsors, not the presenter of the show and most certainly not the band :huh:) were not aware of what was happening, and we only have their word to go by. I'm sure the interview went by with pleasantries and politeness, but that doesn't make the news. In any case, he apologized.

I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show
This is the weirdest comment of all. It IS a comedy show. :huh::huh::huh:

It's nothing short of disgusting that you approve of what happened. Why on earth are you proud of this? Are you just that indecent of a human being?

Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?

Fallon apologized on twitter. That's hardly good enough. Fallon didn't even have anything to do with it. The Roots need to apologize, as does NBC, not only to the public but directly to the congresswoman.

No, Rush just all but calls the first lady of the United States a ****** when she's not on his show to defend herself.

Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?

I was wondering the same thing.

How cute, throwing my exact quotations back at me! You're so clever! :love:

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people. However, unlike "******" or "bitch," it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations. Does "bitch" have some alternate meaning that I'm not aware of that perhaps The Roots were bestowing on the congresswoman?

Second, Rush would never be so vile in the presence of the Obamas. In fact, Rush has actually met the president once. Does anyone here think he was anything other than polite and gracious in their meeting? Maybe Questlove can give Rush a call and take a lesson on how to be decent in the presence of people you otherwise passionately dislike. That's a skill that will come in handy many, many times in life.

It's simply bizarre seeing how some of you are trying to desperately connect this argument back to Rush somehow, rather than just acknowledging the utter hatred and disrespect directed at Bachmann and moving on.

No, Rush just all but calls the first lady of the United States a ******

Just stop. No, better yet- I'll stop. There's no point trying to have an adult conversation with someone who says crap like this.

it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations.

So how was she being uppity at the NASCAR race?

rather than just acknowledging the utter hatred and disrespect directed at Bachmann and moving on.

I don't recall anyone excusing The Roots (before you link me back to Canadiens' post, please be aware he's not involved in this debate). We just don't see why they have the civic duty of apologizing to the nation for their own opinion. You keep bouncing around about who besides The Roots should be ashamed. Fallon, NBC, the sponsors... none of them have anything to do with The Roots' song choice or their performance of such song.
What did NBC or the sponsors have to do with Sinead O'Connor ripping a photo of the pope in half?

"I think the point is," she told Fox News's America's Newsroom, "if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him, none of that happened from NBC and this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite but it’s also I think it’s sexism as well."

If you're going to continue this Rush talk, let's take a look at the first comparison-queen in this whole business: Michelle Bachmann. What the fuck does Michelle Obama have to do with this? She's not a politician.
On top of it all, how come that uppity Michelle Obama didn't demand an apology from NASCAR for not controlling their fans? After all, those fans were heard loud and clear BOOING the First Lady on national television in an event sanctioned by NASCAR that most definitely had sponsors.

Anyway, she is a liar. So they got half of it right...

2861U2 said:
Second, Rush would never be so vile in the presence of the Obamas. In fact, Rush has actually met the president once. Does anyone here think he was anything other than polite and gracious in their meeting? Maybe Questlove can give Rush a call and take a lesson on how to be decent in the presence of people you otherwise passionately dislike. That's a skill that will come in handy many, many times in life.
Where I grew up this was called being two-faced. :shrug:

I was just about to make that point but I feel like I've taken more than enough points this evening.

I don't really see how it's better to be cordial and friendly with someone one minute and then hate them openly the moment they turn around. I'd rather have a knife in my chest than my back. At least I'll be able to assess the damage, not bump into stuff trying to take it out, the ability to apply pressure on the wound.

I lost the metaphor somewhere along the way.

The real lesson is to just not spew hatred out every day of your life. Instead of constantly complaining about the way things are and what other people believe in, be constructive and work for the benefit of your friends, family and community.

Washington (CNN) -- NBC has apologized to Rep. Michele Bachmann after the house band for "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" played an inappropriate song during her appearance on the show Monday, CNN confirmed Thursday.

Bachmann received a letter Wednesday from Doug Vaughan, NBC's senior vice president for special programs and late night, that apologized for what happened and called the incident "not only unfortunate but also unacceptable," said Alice Stewart, the Republican presidential hopeful's spokeswoman.

According to Stewart, the letter also said the show's band, which played the song "Lyin' Ass Bitch" by Fishbone as Bachmann first appeared on stage, was "severely reprimanded."

"She accepted the apology," Stewart told CNN Thursday.

Bachmann also spoke to Fallon Wednesday and had a "nice conversation," said Stewart, who described the late night host as "remorseful" and "a class act."

How cute, throwing my exact quotations back at me! You're so clever! :love:

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people. However, unlike "******" or "bitch," it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations. Does "bitch" have some alternate meaning that I'm not aware of that perhaps The Roots were bestowing on the congresswoman?

Wow. So calling a successful black women who happens to be the first lady, 'uppity' is an applicable situation? You've truly shown your true colors.

Look up what that word means, then study up on American history between 1865-1965, and then tell us about all the applicable situations where that word can be used.

According to google it means arrogant, and is synonymous to conceited.

In the 1870s the KKK beat and killed thousands of blacks who they regarded as "uppity" or too successful. The term was applied to black people by former confederates, segregationists, and racists if they became too successful or prosperous in the reconstruction south. If a black person didn't know their place in southern white society, they were called uppity and punished accordingly (i.e. intimidation, beatings, vandalism and lynching). Blacks that participated in the various civil rights boycotts, marches and sit ins of the 50s and 60s were also referred to as being "uppity".

Wow. So calling a successful black women who happens to be the first lady, 'uppity' is an applicable situation? You've truly shown your true colors.

Look up what that word means, then study up on American history between 1865-1965, and then tell us about all the applicable situations where that word can be used.

Is this a joke? Did you not read the exact part of my post that you just quoted- the part that answers the very questions you're asking me? I don't think you did. I see you're a teacher, but for your students' sake I really hope it's not in English. You seem to have comprehension issues.

So I'll repeat myself for you. Try reading slowly if need be.

Yes, I'm aware of the historical allusions associated with that word. However, unlike a word like "******", for example, it's a legitimate word that has a definition and that can be used in applicable situations to describe a person's behavior. That's just a fact. Where did I ever say that Rush's use of the word towards the first lady was an appropriate use? I'll help you out- I didn't. Because it isn't.

My "true colors"- please. I honestly have no recollection of you posting here except for the past couple weeks, but I'm glad you're smart enough to be able to deduce the kind of person I am in that short amount of time. :up:

Is this a joke? Did you not read the exact part of my post that you just quoted- the part that answers the very questions you're asking me? I don't think you did. I see you're a teacher, but for your students' sake I really hope it's not in English. You seem to have comprehension issues.

So I'll repeat myself for you. Try reading slowly if need be.

Yes, I'm aware of the historical allusions associated with that word. However, unlike a word like "******", for example, it's a legitimate word that has a definition and that can be used in applicable situations to describe a person's behavior. That's just a fact. Where did I ever say that Rush's use of the word towards the first lady was an appropriate use? I'll help you out- I didn't. Because it isn't.

My "true colors"- please. I honestly have no recollection of you posting here except for the past couple weeks, but I'm glad you're smart enough to be able to deduce the kind of person I am in that short amount of time. :up:

I read your post loud and clear. I saw what you said, but you're wrong. You can't argue that there is legitimate use for the word. Go on, go call a black person uppity and see how they react. Tell them you used the word legitimately. Good, So you agree that Rush's use of the word was inappropriate. If only you were willing to condemn him with as much outrage as you had over a shitty late night talk show that played a couple seconds from an obscure song.

As for your true colors, it's fairly easy to pick out the conservative shills that have ruined a once great political party and are now trying to do the same to the country.

Go on, go call a black person uppity and see how they react. Tell them you used the word legitimately.

Did you miss this part of his post?

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people.

EDIT: It made me all curious, so I poked around online and sure enough, a lot of people think it shouldn't be used at all. Gotta admit, this is news to me. But I'm fine with being wrong - I don't pretend like I know everything about everything. Interesting.

I've read a lot of online conversations (some thoughtful, others irritating) about words and phrases with racist connotations and whether or not they can be used in a non-racist context, but I'd never seen "uppity" come into the discussion.

So, uh ..... thanks, Rush? I guess? For bringing this to my attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom